Just as we get near a final 1.21f patch..

Good advice, Brad. The last thing the mac gaming community needs is to take actions that convince the game industry that porting games to the Mac OS is more trouble than it is worth.

"That's not entirely fair either. In MacSoft's defense, they are paying me for the editor (but not the patches), although there's never been a firm timeline for the editor. The 1.21f patch ate up all the free time I had committed for the editor. " - Brad Oliver

Brad, my fuzzy memory of the above quote is what led me to recall your having been contracted to do a certain number of patches.

Regardless, my sense of who is responsible for what has nothing to do with what anyone should do about it. The last thing I would advocate is doing anything rash, and therefore possibly destructive. In my opinion, nothing can be done, except to politely ask for updates from TPTB, and to be appreciative of your efforts so far.

I'm confused with all that. I'd just bought Civ III (Mac edition, of course), I upgraded to 1.17, and I see I cannot play as PC owners ?:(
I'm not a fan of editors, PTW seems to be a goal for Mac community to obtain parity.:eek:

Hi,
First you should upgrade to 1.21f. I have a few mods that you can play on 1.21f if you want them. Now that the PCs are at 1.29f, you won't be able to play PC-made mods made with the updated editor. Sorry. :-(

:( Well, I can only hope that some decision gets made soon. On the PC you can finally choose starting locations through making scenarios with the editor, create true scenarios by placing cities with improvements, and even units on the map, where you would have them for the scenario. The game is finally as versatile as its predessor (Civ II). Although the game itself is quite fun, that fun is limited, even gutted, without the editor. Hopfully a new contract or something can be worked out.

I'm adding my voice to the chorus hoping for a Mac patch, but I want to add a wrinkle. I'm probably the first person to have extensively looked into this. Here's the deal:

I'm planning to buy a new computer in a couple of weeks and I'm obviously tempted by the new 17" widescreen iMac. But the main thing I'll use that computer for is CivIII (much better than my iBook screen).

I did some extensive testing today (on a display unit at the Apple Store) and the new screen's aspect ratio makes for some major problems. So at the very least owners of new iMacs will desperately need a new patch that can account for the new resolutions of the widescreen monitor (which are different from those on the Titanium PowerBook).

Can we use this to leverage also wanting a 1.29 patch for Mac?

Personally I would give up the editor in order to be able to share files with PC users (and download files from CivFanatics, for example).

-Michael

Originally posted by mkolodner
I did some extensive testing today (on a display unit at the Apple Store) and the new screen's aspect ratio makes for some major problems. So at the very least owners of new iMacs will desperately need a new patch that can account for the new resolutions of the widescreen monitor (which are different from those on the Titanium PowerBook).

Can we use this to leverage also wanting a 1.29 patch for Mac?

There's nothing specific about 1.29 (as opposed to a final 1.21 patch) that you could leverage. I play Civ3 in widescreen on my 22" Cinema Display, and there are already a number of widescreen aspect ratios supported by the game. Having said that, I also know that it plays just fine using the nearest-match resolution to the native widescreen one (hold down the option key as you launch to choose).

Brad

I play Civ3 in widescreen on my 22" Cinema Display, and there are already a number of widescreen aspect ratios supported by the game. Having said that, I also know that it plays just fine using the nearest-match resolution to the native widescreen one (hold down the option key as you launch to choose).

Brad,

When you say you play in widescreen, does that mean it's actually utilizing the whole screen, or is the game still square with black bands on the side? The best I was able to coax the 17" iMac into was a square game with black bands--and those bands made the used screen even smaller than the 15" display.

If I get ambitious I may go back to the Apple Store and try holding down the Option key on launch, but I'm not sure I feel like sitting through the install again (since they probably wiped their machines over night...)

I know that one of the patches fixed the aspect ratio problem for Titaniums, so what I meant was that if a patch is needed to add an aspect ratio, it would obviously make sense for them to throw in some of the other gameplay fixes while they're at it.

Thanks for raising that issue, mkolodner. I too am waiting for the 17" iMac, largely 'cause of the better video card and faster Civ playing.

Brad, can you actually play the game utilizing the whole screen? How does it work/look? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Melinder
Brad, can you actually play the game utilizing the whole screen? How does it work/look? Thanks in advance!

Yes, it plays in a widescreen format that is not stretched. Hold down the option or command key when you launch the app to choose a resolution.

Brad

hopefully they will remove the bug with the special characters in the textfiles, with the next patch.

brad, are there any plans???

i know, i'm "only" a german player and in the minority, but i've payed the same money as the us-player, therefore i thinkt i deserve the same support.

Originally posted by eeZee
hopefully they will remove the bug with the special characters in the textfiles, with the next patch.

First off, it's not a bug in the US version - it's intentional so that we can share the same text files with the English PC version for add-ons, mods, etc.

As far as German (and other non-US) Mac users of Civ3 are concerned, you need to ask MacSoft about localized versions for your country. I believe there are plans along these lines, or there may in fact already be versions out there for you.

If you want a workaround, a good solution is to edit the text files on a PC or in an app that supports saving of special characters in text files as Windows format instead of Mac.

Brad

Hi All,

I've just been reading through this thread and wanted to add my few cents.

As a Mac Civ2 player since 1998, I resisted the 'switch' to Civ3 for many months but finally gave-in last week, and I have to say it's fantastic ! I upgraded to the new patch (1.2.1) and have been playing long into the night.

It would be good if Firaxis/MacSoft showed more support for developing a Mac Civ3 Editor, as well as keeping their Mac users as up-to-date as their PC users.

Having invested in the game - and also in a new Mac computer, knowing that I'd need something above 500MHz for Civ3 - the lack of an editor is a huge loss. The wealth of scenarios made by the Civ2 community is what made me stick with the game over the years, as well as trying my hand at scenario building. It would be a great loss if the Mac scenario community is unable to move forward and flourish with Civ3 !

Welcome.

Originally posted by frunobulax
It would be good if Firaxis/MacSoft showed more support for developing a Mac Civ3 Editor, as well as keeping their Mac users as up-to-date as their PC users.

The editor is under construction at the moment, maybe a couple months out.

Originally posted by frunobulax
Having invested in the game - and also in a new Mac computer, knowing that I'd need something above 500MHz for Civ3 - the lack of an editor is a huge loss.

I'd love a new mac, but the Missus isn't in compliance. So far, my 333MHz is working well.

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

First off, it's not a bug in the US version - it's intentional so that we can share the same text files with the English PC version for add-ons, mods, etc.
Brad

but in the beta version (1.21) and also in all versions before 1.21 (ie 1.17) the special characters were shown up correctely. so it must be a bug ...
of course there isn't a german mac-version out there or planned 8as i know) ... in fact i'm localizing it into german ... and was almost done ... and then there was the final 1.21 ... :cry: and now i can buy a PC just to make a localization ... you must be kidding, that can't be the final solution for this, or???

Originally posted by eeZee
but in the beta version (1.21) and also in all versions before 1.21 (ie 1.17) the special characters were shown up correctely. so it must be a bug ...

If you want to use special characters, they have to be in PC format. It should have been this way from the start, but it wasn't. I'm not sure how many different ways I can give this answer.

of course there isn't a german mac-version out there or planned 8as i know)

As far as I know, there are plans for German and possibly French localized versions. I don't have anything to do with these versions, so I can't tell you any more than that. As I said in my last reply, you need to contact MacSoft about this. For all I know, these versions have already shipped. If they haven't shipped yet, expressing demand for them to MacSoft can only help.

Brad

Top Bottom