1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

Discussion in 'Civ 4 - K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword' started by karadoc, Jan 8, 2011.

1. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Prince Supporter

Here is the 48 civ dll for K-Mod v1.45. Simply unzip and replace the dll file in K-Mod's Assets folder. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

PortusCale7 likes this.
  2. TheOnlyDJCat

TheOnlyDJCat Warlord

For several months (after updating to 1.45 48civs ) I have the problem, that when playing multiplayer with K-Mod when a new turn starts, I (the client) lose connection to the server (exit now dialog).
    For as long as I remember I always got "Waiting to hear..." message for a few seconds and then both could play the new turn. Is this handled in the dll or can't be fixed changed within this mod?

3. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

what is the size of the map your playing on?

4. PortusCale7

PortusCale7 Chieftain

Thanks a lot DarkLuna, really happy for your help :)

DarkLunaPhantom likes this.
  5. TheOnlyDJCat

TheOnlyDJCat Warlord

Giant Earth Map (4x huge), but I play this for years now and the "exit now" is new to me.

6. DarkLunaPhantom

@karadoc I see that there are some new things (not present in K-Mod v1.45) on MMod github repository. Are those things going to find their way into new K-Mod release or K-Mod gihub repository anytime soon(ish)? I would like to add them to my modmod(s) and play the game with those included, but I don't think that would be okay before they are "officially" available in K-Mod.

7. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

Thanks. You're right about both of those problems; and they aren't easy things to spot. The i vs j typo is a particularly sneaky mistake. It's difficult to tell at a glance whether or not it is actually wrong (because you have to have a clear understanding of how tech_paths and the loops are meant to work), and the consequences of the bug are not obvious. So thanks for picking that up. I hadn't spotted it myself. (I basically wrote all that stuff in one shot, and haven't played a game on it myself.)

Anything that is in MMod that isn't specific to MMod will be in K-Mod. I've been intending to upload a new version "soon" for some weeks now; but I'm just making very slow progress, and new things keep popping up. The new new tech AI will certainly be in K-Mod. (Not the one I posted a dll for earlier, but an even newer one that f1rpo is posting fixes for.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  8. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

hi karadoc,
    good to hear you.

recommend f1rpo code, maybe you could work some stuff he did in to official kmod.

even slow progress from you is a blessing.

9. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Thanks for releasing 1.46! Is the source code available anywhere?

DarkLunaPhantom likes this.
  10. DarkLunaPhantom

I don't know was the code there when you posted, but everything seems to be on github now.

Xyth likes this.
  11. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Ah thanks. I had an out of date bookmark or something.

12. Psiven

Psiven Chieftain

Looks like v1.46 broke multiplayer saves for me. After exiting a new game I was unable to load an older save (also unable to load it after going back to 1.44b), crashing at the map loading screen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  13. ztrapon

ztrapon Chieftain

When opening the scoreboard (with the graphs), would it be possible to modify the Wealthiest civ gauge - from current gold amount, to something like gold per turn?

It always bugged me that the graph displays the pool of gold, meaning it's pretty useless, and also spikes up and down depending on things like unit upgrades - instead of referencing the total wealth accumulated per turn which would be a lot more relevant and useful.

14. f1rpo

f1rpo plastics

The GNP curve on the Info screen? That's total commerce, i.e. research rate plus culture rate plus espionage rate plus gold income. Should really be labeled "GNP (Commerce)" instead of "GNP (Gold)". I think the fluctuation results mostly from reassigned citizens. (Or is there another gold curve somewhere? The popup about the top 5 wealthiest civs is based on gold in the treasury, but other than that ...)

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The fluctuation is also caused by changing the sliders, since different commerce types usually have different modifiers from buildings.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm wondering if K-Mod has addressed the issue where players can easily exploit the AI to capture workers in any way. Typically it is very easy to walk up to the borders of an AI you are at peace with, and then capture some of their workers in a surprise attack. This is rather powerful in the early game where workers are very valuable and the means of the AI to retaliate are limited. I assume the vanilla AI does not consider foreign units a threat unless you are at war, maybe that should be changed if workers are concerned, so they can retreat and work non-threatened tiles. But I'm not sure if K-Mod already addressed this problem.

17. Zholef

Zholef Warlord

It's been a while since I played and I didn't examine the code regarding this either, but it always seemed to me that the K-Mod AI was more careful with its workers. Not perfectly, but then again, I think it enriches the game when the AI can make mistakes too.

Leoreth likes this.
  18. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yeah, and an overly cautious AI may enable other exploits, for example if workers would keep a distance to all other units you could easily chase them around.

19. f1rpo

f1rpo plastics

There could be improvements in K-Mod for Worker behavior when at war, but I don't think there's any code to anticipate a sneak attack on a Worker. See the attached screenshot; the Worker did not flee to safety and no Archer emerged from the city, not even when I added a third one and set it to UNITAI_RESERVE. Looking at the code, there's still the BtS check for CvPlayerAI::AI_isPlotThreatened at the beginning of AI_workerMove, and isPlotThreatened counts only present war enemies. I'm not aware of a routine for guarding Workers either, though e.g. guardBonus can coincidentally guard a Worker. The K-Mod AI also doesn't declare war in order to steal Workers (CvUnitAI::AI_poach is never called), which is probably for the better.

Attached Files:

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I was considering that as far as workers are concerned, every foreign unit that is not in your territory may be considered a threat. Foreign units that are in your territory due to OBs would be evicted before they could attack. But as I mentioned above, that still would not be a perfect solution because the AI would likely be too cautious then.