keep civ V a turn based strategy game

Yes, because asking the devs not to turn the game into a RTS, which obviously won't happen, is exactly as trollish as complaining about the fact that the game obviously will use Steam.

Way to be fair there.
I am sorry if I led you to believe that the statement was intended to be fair. My bad. :king:

Not seeing relationship to starcraft...

Chess is the ultimate turn based strategy game and has a time limit.

/end thread

i hardly think that chess is the ultimate in turn based strategy.

And regards to the OP, why not just play singleplayer, more fun anyway.

The most fun I had in a civ game was in play be email games of Alpha Centauri.

i played it too
and i had a lot fun

but only cause my 33k wouldnt allow me to play normally

now the technology allow us to play in "real time"

like every other game you HAVE TO do it in a certain time

its right

This thread seems to adress timers in multiplayer, while I feel that in essence civ is a single player game that can be played multiplayer as well. I feel not what the OP means. Not at all.

there is no single player game
at all
games have meaning ONLY when played player(s) vs player(s)

Civ4 is very much primarily a multiplayer game for me. Single player is where I practice new strategies and everything. While I can't imagine playing Civ4 against strangers, I have three friends that I play with, we have a skype channel and headsets. It's lovely.

This.

AfterShafter. I play online with the same group of people each time, & we have a *very* long turn timer-something like 9 hours. It's what allows people from all over the world to play the same game without putting aside 6 hours a day to play ;).

Aussie.

A timer for multiplayer is to prevent losing players from not finishing their turn, hoping to make the winning players get impatient and leave the game.

Civ will eventually turn into an RTS... kids nowadays have no patience, and always want action. It is the older generation supporting these types of games. Kids want PSP, PS3 and Xbox action, not sitting around on some turn moving a unit occasionally, and having to actually think.

Nope. There is a market for TBS and RTS. I personally love Civilization IV and Starcraft almost equally. Starcraft is more fun multiplayer because matches usually end in 20 minutes so I can actually finish games. Civilization IV is more fun singleplayer because I can take the time to carefully plan out my actions over the course of several hours and see how things play out.

Civ will eventually turn into an RTS... kids nowadays have no patience, and always want action. It is the older generation supporting these types of games. Kids want PSP, PS3 and Xbox action, not sitting around on some turn moving a unit occasionally, and having to actually think.

I don't find myself thinking in civ... the only choices are what to spend hammers on and who to conquer first (which is usually just the weakest neighbour - little thinking involved in that). Multiplayer civ games are won by whoever spawned at the most favourable position and single player civ games are usually won no matter what - again this lessens the need for thinking.

StarCraft otth forces a lot of thinking. Scouting matters more, there're more adaptions you can make towards your enemy's play, unit postioning is more critical, your overall strategy must be very fine tuned, analysing your opponant is more crucial, etc..

Do not insult RTS's by saying any knuckle dragging plebian can play them. That may be true for some (*cough StarCraft 2 cough*) but not for the great StarCraft 1.

I don't find myself thinking in civ... the only choices are what to spend hammers on and who to conquer first (which is usually just the weakest neighbour - little thinking involved in that). Multiplayer civ games are won by whoever spawned at the most favourable position and single player civ games are usually won no matter what - again this lessens the need for thinking.

StarCraft otth forces a lot of thinking. Scouting matters more, there're more adaptions you can make towards your enemy's play, unit postioning is more critical, your overall strategy must be very fine tuned, analysing your opponant is more crucial, etc..

Do not insult RTS's by saying any knuckle dragging plebian can play them. That may be true for some (*cough StarCraft 2 cough*) but not for the great StarCraft 1.
which works because in Starcraft there are only 3 "civs"

Not quite all kids. My 10 year old loves Epic multiplayer Civiliation games. He thinks Marathon is a bit too slow though he tolerates it since I like Marathon.

The only regret i have for Civ3, Civ4 and probably Civ5 multiplayer too is not the turn timer, but that usually no one should bother to play it. Indeed, most players quit in FFAs including myself, because i know i can't win or the game is too long. There should be a mean to continue a game even if we are loosing. The sad thing being, that i have obsolutely no idea of how to proceed.

Civ Network will eliminate the "game is too long" bit, because it may be persistent, but what about the "i can't win" part?

The solution to quiting has always been joing a league, that is why Civplayers formed right after Civ3 PTW came out, and is still a fundamental reason for it's existance.

Leagues provide rules for the playground and deter players from quiting. Other than that I see no solution to players quiting open MP games, you just can't code away human behavour.

CS

The solution to quiting has always been joing a league, that is why Civplayers formed right after Civ3 PTW came out, and is still a fundamental reason for it's existance.

Leagues provide rules for the playground and deter players from quiting. Other than that I see no solution to players quiting open MP games, you just can't code away human behavour.

CS

Sorry but I reasonably quited your league because the only types of games i founded out there were "team on TeamBattleGround map" or "FFA on Inland Sea map", when in my opinion it should be the contrary. (team on Inland Sea and FFA on TeamBattleGround)

given the OP, I would say he is jumping the gun a lil bit. it is still a turn based game, I assume it has the option to turn on a "timer" to force people to action. this timer I also assume can be of a variable amount determined by the players involved.

...regarding RTS....I seriously hope the franchise NEVER goes that direction....EVER. if I wanted that I would go play any of the other hundreds of RTS games out there.~

thats very true

I see no solution to players quiting open MP games, you just can't code away human behavour.

solution is also save players info so we know who we are playing with b4 starting
also some kind of rating/elo so quitting in the long run bothers who does it

Top Bottom