1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Resources in Check (No Phantom Resources)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by Pounder, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Pounder

Pounder Phaethon was here

I guess I misunderstood you when you said this:

Only problem is the Luxury resources showing on my city screen LUXURIES Box are all wrong. I have 2 Luxuries in the game at present, Ivory and Silk. But in my LUXURIES Box I have Jade and Gems.

2. MPK

MPK prince

The Matrix is not so hard for me to follow. Once I actually figured out the Rows and Columns. I just wish I could present like Pounders' Coloured Chart.

[Problem Persists]: I'm thinking that my problem with the wrong Resources appearing on my Cities Luxury Resource Box has nothing to do with the luxurysmall.pcx at all.

As I said I've used this 64 resources (10 Luxury Resources) Set Up in several Mods for a couple of months now, and everything worked fine. Then I converted my Conquests Game to this resource set up.

I had a few odd things happen. Game would present a LOAD ERROR on a unit which was a current unit in my games. Then a LOAD ERROR for my Harbour, which had never appeared before this. Then the resources seem to start to get all mixed up. Then I got a message that my Conquests BIQ was corrupt and the BIQ disappeared.

I copied another from my Back Up Files.

[NEW PROBLEM] = Now, not only is my Conquests Game showing these wrongly placed resources, but also the Mods that previously were fine and dandy. No problems before now.

[FURTHER NEW PROBLEM] = I just started a new Mod, "BUILDINGS", to practice adding buildings of course. First thing I noticed was the Resources in this game are also wrong.:confused::confused::confused: > This Mod has not being converted in anyway. It has the original resources, original luxurysmall.pcx, original Text and Units from CIV3 Conquests. I've only added a building to test to see if it works. It does.

Conclusion: Both converted and non converted games/mods are affected by this resource problem.

Could I have a Greater Problem within the files of my Conquest Game. A Bug or Virus ??? ( maybe I need to re-load my game ???.)

3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

You are not the only one trying to understand the process. Pounder seems to have to explain this repeatedly for different individuals. One issue is that the opening tutorial assumes just enough to create confusion for many people coming to this for the first time. Stating a few more things in an explicit & simple way would make things easier for Pounder in the long run.

4. Pounder

Just keep all your luxury and strategics in the first 32 editor entries resources and you can avoid all these problems.

But for those of you that have many many resources and have changed some of the editor entries past the first 32 to luxury or strategic, then I have tried to detail things, sorry if details confuse some people.

5. MPK

MPK prince

I for one am not trying to understand the Process. I got it. It was a bit hard at first. But then most things I attempt with Civ Modding are hard for me do to with me being Technologically Challenged. Some Modding techniques still remain a complete Mystery to me.

I appreciate the efforts you have made with this. In fact it stands out as one of the best things to happen to my game.:goodjob:

And yes, keeping all the LUX/STR resources within the first 32 does make things easier.

I also think my resource problems have nothing to do with the Matrix order.

6. Pounder

Thanks MPK.

7. r16

r16 not deity

sorry for bringing this up , but was searching for a thread about adding resources . ı have checked just the first and the last pages . Is it possible to post a ready make .biq with any relevant text files and .pcx so that ı could at least study them ? The thread as it's somewhat beyond my current capabilities

8. MPK

MPK prince

Did you find any answers. My comp capabilities may be even less than yours. I have no idea how to "post a ready make" anything.

I do play with 64 and 96 resource games.

9. r16

r16 not deity

ı have asked the creators of LotM whether ı could use theirs . Considering that was an early and very elaborate scheme of things that might possibly lead to games seizing or whatever am of the opinion that ı should first find a new way to get my editor working and then make a .biq interesting enough to get experienced people interested . Mind you the LotM guys are not forbidding me to use their work (with the express approval for the .pcx files) but merely trying to prevent me from shooting myself in the foot with doing this and that .