Keeping Resources in Check (No Phantom Resources)

lol,,, yes no.65... I meant that.... and of course they would need to be Luxury or Strategic resources in the 2 and 3 column to replace the changed resource in the 1st column.

Q: > How do I obtain a resource sheet that can have more than 36 resources on it?

Q: > Is there a limit to how many boxes that is allowed per row and equally per Column? - Does it have to be 6 res. per row as in the 6x6(36) resource sheet? Does it have a limited number?

I've located a blank units_32 sheet (I guess it is no different than resource_32 sheet). It is 28 boxes across the top (rows), and 15 boxes downwards (columns). Blank is ok as I wish to change most of resource Icon pictures.

Q: > Can I cut the sheet ?

Q: > Can I add or join sheets together? [ if so, how?].

------I would like to then end up with either;
( 8 boxes.per row x 32 boxes. per column /[ or preferably ]/ 16 boxes. per row x 16 boxes. per column.) - makes it easier to keep an accurate account with the '32 resource matrix'.

Q: > How do I obtain a resource sheet that can have more than 36 resources on it?

Q: > Is there a limit to how many boxes that is allowed per row and equally per Column? - Does it have to be 6 res. per row as in the 6x6(36) resource sheet? Does it have a limited number?

I've located a blank units_32 sheet (I guess it is no different than resource_32 sheet). It is 28 boxes across the top (rows), and 15 boxes downwards (columns). Blank is ok as I wish to change most of resource Icon pictures.

Q: > Can I cut the sheet ?

Q: > Can I add or join sheets together? [ if so, how?].

------I would like to then end up with either;
( 8 boxes.per row x 32 boxes. per column /[ or preferably ]/ 16 boxes. per row x 16 boxes. per column.) - makes it easier to keep an accurate account with the '32 resource matrix'.
Max. size of resource.pcx
Cassus_Belli's resource.pcx thread. AfAIK this is the largest existing resource.pcx. Be sure to scroll down through the thread. His long posts include installation & adaptation instructions. There are also posts on things like the proper 'pedia text formats for rhe resources.

Making a larger resource.pcx is as simple as CnP. Just copy, line them up & paste them together. To start with a large blank - open his, select the green lines, invert the selection & fill everything else with the magenta. You'll get better looking results if you make the blank file rgb before you add the resources themselves. Then index the palette. Make sure to reserve the last two colors. Those are the ones that normally use magenta & green. They should not appear anywhere within the individual resources themselves. Detailed specific instructions would depend on what graphics programs you use.

I have Cassus_Belli's resource.pcx. It is the largest resource.pcx I have found. I like it because it isn't just limited to only 1 item per picture; eg: 1 horse, 1 sheep etc.
I tried to add a 2 horse picture from it, but it was to big to fit in the resource box :(.
There is a text document with it, so I'm guessing that is where I'll find all the instructions.

[Civinator]:
"The number of icon slots in a row is not restricted to six and can be any manageable number. Likewise, the number of rows on a sheet is not restricted and an original sheet could be in practically any configuration (i.e. 6x6, 12x12, 24x36, etc.). So long as the sheet is labeled as “resources.pcx” and is located in place of the original file it can be used. However, for some as yet unexplained reason the maximum size replacement for the “resources_shadows.pcx” is a 6x11 (66 shadow icon) pcx sheet. If anything larger than this is used it causes the game to crash in Random games. This problem does not occur when the original “resources.pcx” is replaced with the 24x60 (1440) size icon sheet, but the shadows are not avilable."

ok,,,size of sheet seems not so important. 24 x 60 will be fine. I also understand the resource matrix thread set out by Pounder, so no worries there. One would only need shadows for certain resources, Gold etc wouldn't need a shadow. I never noticed shadows in the game.

PS: I found a very large units_32 sheet. Can I just use this as my units_32 sheet in my mod even though I wont be using most of the units?

thanks BM.

So, bottom line, just to make things easier, when designing out your mod and you are beginning to add resources, the cleanest, most organized, and least buggy way to do this without having to modify any background screens or unrelated text would be to add your resources in the following order:

Luxury - up to 8
Strategic - up to (32-Luxury) - (or 24 if you have 8 luxury)
Bonus - no limit

You can increase Lux to 10 with your mods, and even higher with only graphical ugliness and no gameplay consequences so long as Lux + Strat does not exceed 32.

Would you agree this would be the ideal template to use when designing out your mod?

So, bottom line, just to make things easier, when designing out your mod and you are beginning to add resources, the cleanest, most organized, and least buggy way to do this without having to modify any background screens or unrelated text would be to add your resources in the following order:

Luxury - up to 8
Strategic - up to (32-Luxury) - (or 24 if you have 8 luxury)
Bonus - no limit

You can increase Lux to 10 with your mods, and even higher with only graphical ugliness and no gameplay consequences so long as Lux + Strat does not exceed 32.

Would you agree this would be the ideal template to use when designing out your mod?

I currently have 10 luxury (city screen modified to display 10), 22 Strategic and 175 bonus resources. Game runs fine without any problems.

Right, game handles it, but requires a modified interface to display properly. I was looking for the path of least resistance for your typical modder. More is possible, if they are as gifted as you :)

Happy Holidays my friend!

Odd happening :confused:

I play 64 resources. Bon 32 / Str 22 / Lux 10

I have successfully done this in several Mods. Everything is fine. I decided that because all was working 100% I would convert this into my Conquests Game.

Only problem is the Luxury resources showing on my city screen LUXURIES Box are all wrong. I have 2 Luxuries in the game at present, Ivory and Silk. But in my LUXURIES Box I have Jade and Gems.

I just can't figure out what is wrong. All other resources are fine. Except fish won't appear in Coast terrain. All my Text seems ok. Any ideas ?????

My Luxury List: In order of position on luxurysmall.pcx/ and order and position matrix and resource list in the editor:

1: 42 JADE .......[11-column 2]
2: 44 GEMS ......[13-column 2]
3: 13 IVORY .....[14-column 1]
4: 14 SILK ........[15-column 1]
5: 15 DIAMONDS [16-column 1]
6: 49 L-LAZULI ..[18-column 2]
7: 50 SILVER .....[19-column 2]
8: 21 GOLD .......[22-column 2]
9: 62 QUETZALS [31-column 2]
10:63 PEARLS ...[32-column 2]

---------------

Some examples from my Conquest Text:

#GCON_ResourcesL
Luxury Resources
^
^
^[Luxury resources] are one of the types of $LINK<natural resources=GCON_ResourcesN>.
When available to a city from foreign or domestic $LINK<trade routes=GCON_Trade>, luxury resources produce
[$LINK<happy faces=GCON_Happy_Faces>], making content citizens happy. The number of happy faces produced
by luxuries depends upon the presence or lack of a $LINK<marketplace=BLDG_Marketplace>.
^
^When a city {has} a luxury resource, it appears in the city's {Luxuries box}.
^
^
^{City Production Bonuses}
^Like all resources, luxuries resources also provide city production bonuses to worked squares within a
$LINK<city radius=GCON_Radius>.
^
^{Types Food Shields Commerce}
^$LINK<Jade=GOOD_Jade> +0 +1 +3
^$LINK<Gems=GOOD_Gems> +0 +1 +3
^$LINK<Ivory=GOOD_Ivory> +1 +0 +2
^$LINK<Silk=GOOD_Silk> +0 +0 +3
^$LINK<Diamonds=GOOD_Diamonds> +0 +1 +4
^$LINK<Lapis Lazuli=GOOD_Lapis_Lazuli> +0 +0 +3
^$LINK<Silver=GOOD_Silver> +0 +1 +4
^$LINK<Gold=GOOD_Gold> +0 +1 +4
^$LINK<Quetzals=GOOD_Quetzals> +0 +0 +2
^$LINK<Pearls=GOOD_Pearls> +1 +0 +3

--------------

#GOOD_Jade
^
^
^[Jade] is a $LINK<luxury resources=GCON_ResourcesL> that make content people happy in cities that are
$LINK<connected=GCON_Trade> to it by domestic or foreign $LINK<trade routes=GCON_Trade>.
^
^Jade appears when your civilization discovers
$LINK<cerimonial burial=TECH_Ceremonial_Burial> and can be found in
$LINK<mountains=TERR_Mountains>, $LINK<hills=TERR_Hills>,
$LINK<vocanos=TERR_Volcano>, and $LINK<jungles=TERR_Jungle>.
#DESC_GOOD_Jade
^
^
^Jade is an ornamental stone. The term jade is applied to two different metamorphic rocks that are made up of different silicate minerals. Nephrite and Jadeite. Nephrite and jadeite were used from prehistoric periods for hardstone carving. Jadeite has about the same hardness as quartz, while nephrite is somewhat softer. Among the earliest known jade artifacts excavated from prehistoric sites are simple ornaments with bead, button, and tubular shapes. Additionally, jade was used for adze heads, knives, and other weapons, which can be delicately shaped. As metal-working technologies became available, the beauty of jade made it valuable for ornaments and decorative objects. Dushan Jade was being mined as early as 6000 BC. In the Yin Ruins of the Shang Dynasty (1600 BC to 1050 BC) in Anyang, Dushan Jade ornaments were unearthed in the tomb of the Shang kings. Jade was used to create many utilitarian and ceremonial objects. The use of jade and other greenstone was a long-term tradition in Korea (c. 850 BC &#8211; AD 668). Jade is found in small numbers of pit-houses and burials.
Nephrite jade in New Zealand is known as pounamu in the Maori language (often called "greenstone" in New Zealand English), and plays an important role in Maori culture. It is considered a taonga, or treasure. Tools, weapons and ornaments were made of it; in particular adzes, the 'mere' (short club), and the Hei-tiki (neck pendant). These were believed to have their own mana, handed down as valuable heirlooms, and often given as gifts to seal important agreements. Jade was a rare and valued material in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica. The only source from which the various indigenous cultures, such as the Olmec and Maya, could obtain jade was located in the Motagua River valley in Guatemala. Jade was largely an elite good, and was usually carved in various ways, whether serving as a medium upon which hieroglyphs were inscribed, or shaped into symbolic figurines. Generally, the material was highly symbolic, and it was often employed in the performance of ideological practices and rituals.

#GOOD_Gems
^
^
^[Gems] are $LINK<luxury resources=GCON_ResourcesL> that make content people happy in cities that are
$LINK<connected=GCON_Trade> to it by domestic or foreign $LINK<trade routes=GCON_Trade>.
^
^Gems appear when your civilization discovers
$LINK<masonry=TECH_Masonry> and can be found in
$LINK<mountains=TERR_Mountains>, and $LINK<jungles=TERR_Jungle>.
#DESC_GOOD_Gems
^
^
^The traditional classification which goes back to the many Ancient Cultures begins with a distinction between precious and semi precious stones. In modern times along with Diamonds, the 3 precious Gemstones are Sapphires, Rubies and Emeralds. Gems are created over millions of years. Gems are found in a raw form. But when cut and polished Gems were used to make fine jewelry and other luxury adornments.

Odd happening :confused:

I play 64 resources. Bon 32 / Str 22 / Lux 10

I have successfully done this in several Mods. Everything is fine. I decided that because all was working 100% I would convert this into my Conquests Game.

Only problem is the Luxury resources showing on my city screen LUXURIES Box are all wrong. I have 2 Luxuries in the game at present, Ivory and Silk. But in my LUXURIES Box I have Jade and Gems.

Making a luxuryicons_small.pcx file when you have more than 32 resources in the game.

I have 96 resources in my game, 22 strategic, 10 luxury and 64 bonus.

When I went to build my luxuryicons_small.pcx file (that's the file that displays the luxury icons on the city screen view) I thought that they would be read in the order that the luxury resources were entered in the editor, but they don't.

My tobacco is resource #56, but it had to be placed in before cactus and tropical birds which were resource #28 and #29.

When I laid out all my resources in a matrix 32x3, it was plain to see that the game reads them row by row in the matrix, not in the order that the are entered in the game.

This makes complete sense as it fits perfectly with the phantom resource bug.

Vuldacon used an example with fewer resources. Is this chart another way of explaining the same thing about the luxuryicons_small.pcx?

I hope so because at present I really only understand it by getting the sense of both the charts posted.

My are listed row by row. I just cut & paste from a mod that works 100% to my Conquest game. Maybe some text is off ???- I can't find anything. Thought maybe there might be a known problem when changing to Conquest game.

1: 42 JADE .......[Row 11 / column 2]
2: 44 GEMS ......[Row 13 / column 2]
3: 13 IVORY .....[Row 14 / column 1]
4: 14 SILK ........[Row 15 / column 1]
5: 15 DIAMONDS [Row 16 / column 1]
6: 49 L-LAZULI ..[Row 18 / column 2]
7: 50 SILVER .....[Row 19 / column 2]
8: 21 GOLD .......[Row 22 / column 2]
9: 62 QUETZALS [Row 31 / column 2]
10:63 PEARLS ...[Row 32 / column 2]
----------------------------------

-------------column 1 ----------------column 2:
Row 01= 00: Horse=(str)............32:Beef=(bon)
Row 02= 01: Iron.=(str).............33:Rice=(bon)
Row 03= 02: Salt-P=(str)...........34:Corn=(bon)
Row 04= 03: Coal=(str)..............35:Bk-Cattle=(bon)
Row 05= 04: Oil=(str)................36:Fishes=(bon)
Row 06= 05: Rubber=(str)..........37:Maize=(bon)
Row 07= 06: Aluminium=(str)......38:Camels=(bon)
Row 08= 07: Uranium=(str).........39:Chickens=(bon)
Row 09= 08: Grapes=(bon).........40:Copper=(str)
Row 10= 09: Fur=(bon)..............41:Salt=(str)
Row 11= 10: Dyes=(bon)............42:JADE=(lux)
Row 12= 11: Incense=(bon)........43:Marble=(str)
Row 13= 12: Spices=(bon)..........44:GEMS=(lux)
Row 14= 13: IVORY=(lux)...........45:Tea(=bon)
Row 15= 14: SILK==(lux)............46:Coffee=(bon)
Row 16= 15: DIAMONDS=(lux).....47:Wool=(bon)
Row 17= 16: Whale=(bon)..........48:Sulfur=(str)
Row 18= 17: Game=(bon)...........49:LAPIS LAZULI=(lux)
Row 19= 18: Fish=(bon).............50:SILVER=(lux)
Row 20= 19: Cattle=(bon)..........51:Cotton=(str)
Row 21= 20: Wheat=(bon).........52:Stone=(str)
Row 22= 21: GOLD==(lux)..........53:Goats=(bon)
Row 23= 22: Oasis=(bon)...........54:Tin=(str)
Row 24= 23: Sugar=(bon)..........55:Clay=(str)
Row 25= 24: Banana=(bon)........56:Cinnabar=(str)
Row 26= 25: Tobacco=(bon)......57:Hemp=(str)
Row 27= 26: Crabs=(bon)..........58:potash=(str)
Row 28= 27: Obsidian=(str)........59:pigs=(bon)
Row 29= 28: Wood=(str)............60:pheasant=(bon)
Row 30= 29: Sheep=(bon)..........61:Sandstone=(str)
Row 31= 30: Deer Doe=(bon)......62:QUETZALS=(lux)
Row 32= 31: Potato=(bon).........63:PEARLS=(lux)

luxurysmall.pcx order: = Jade / Gems / Ivory / Silk / Diamonds / Lapis Lazuli / Silver / Gold / Quetzals / Pearls:

Pounder, you keep referring to a matrix. AFAIK there is a resources.pcx, a luxuryicons_small.pcx, a list in the editor & the 'pedia text file. It seems that your matrix is constructed by turning the list from the editor into a chart with 32 items in each column. But you haven't explicitly said so. I think that is where the confusion comes in.

I greatly appreciate all the help. I am a frustrating person to deal with when it comes to computer stuff as I am self taught, and I know nothing:

Originally Posted by Pounder
For the luxuryicons_small, it's to do with the order they appear in the matrix by row, which is dependant on the order they were picked in the editor.

The editor can pick from anywhere in the resource file, the resource pcx order plays no part.

You have to get your luxurysmall.pcx in the right order, by the matrix row.

I didn't post my resource file. I posted my Matrix. I have been using these 64 resources with the same luxuryicons_small for several months, no problems at all. It has just been the last couple of weeks that this problem appeared. I just copied from mod to conquests. (ps: I did have a previous Conquests.BIQ go corrupt and vanish.)

-------------------- My Matrix:("Icon"-as it appears in Editor)
-------------column 1 ----------------column 2:
Row 01= Icon 00: Horse=(str)............Row 01= Icon 32:Beef=(bon)
Row 02= Icon 01: Iron.=(str).............Row 02= Icon 33:Rice=(bon)
Row 03= Icon 02: Salt-P=(str)...........Row 03= Icon 34:Corn=(bon)
Row 04= Icon 03: Coal=(str)..............Row 04= Icon 35:Bk-Cattle=(bon)
Row 05= Icon 04: Oil=(str)................Row 05= Icon 36:Fishes=(bon)
Row 06= Icon 05: Rubber=(str)..........Row 06= Icon 37:Maize=(bon)
Row 07= Icon 06: Aluminium=(str)......Row 07= Icon 38:Camels=(bon)
Row 08= Icon 07: Uranium=(str).........Row 08= Icon 39:Chickens=(bon)
Row 09= Icon 08: Grapes=(bon).........Row 09= Icon 40:Copper=(str)
Row 10= Icon 09: Fur=(bon)..............Row 10= Icon 41:Salt=(str)
Row 11= Icon 10: Dyes=(bon)............Row 11= Icon 42:JADE=(lux)
Row 12= Icon 11: Incense=(bon)........Row 12= Icon 43:Marble=(str)
Row 13= Icon 12: Spices=(bon)..........Row 13= Icon 44:GEMS=(lux)
Row 14= Icon 13: IVORY=(lux)...........Row 14= Icon 45:Tea(=bon)
Row 15= Icon 14: SILK==(lux)............Row 15= Icon 46:Coffee=(bon)
Row 16= Icon 15: DIAMONDS=(lux).....Row 16= Icon 47:Wool=(bon)
Row 17= Icon 16: Whale=(bon)..........Row 17= Icon 48:Sulfur=(str)
Row 18= Icon 17: Game=(bon)...........Row 18= Icon 49:LAPIS LAZULI=(lux)
Row 19= Icon 18: Fish=(bon).............Row 19= Icon 50:SILVER=(lux)
Row 20= Icon 19: Cattle=(bon)..........Row 20= Icon 51:Cotton=(str)
Row 21= Icon 20: Wheat=(bon).........Row 21= Icon 52:Stone=(str)
Row 22= Icon 21: GOLD==(lux)..........Row 22= Icon 53:Goats=(bon)
Row 23= Icon 22: Oasis=(bon)...........Row 23= Icon 54:Tin=(str)
Row 24= Icon 23: Sugar=(bon)..........Row 24= Icon 55:Clay=(str)
Row 25= Icon 24: Banana=(bon)........Row 25= Icon 56:Cinnabar=(str)
Row 26= Icon 25: Tobacco=(bon)......Row 26= Icon 57:Hemp=(str)
Row 27= Icon 26: Crabs=(bon)..........Row 27= Icon 58:potash=(str)
Row 28= Icon 27: Obsidian=(str)........Row 28= Icon 59:pigs=(bon)
Row 29= Icon 28: Wood=(str)............Row 29= Icon 60:pheasant=(bon)
Row 30= Icon 29: Sheep=(bon)..........Row 30= Icon 61:Sandstone=(str)
Row 31= Icon 30: Deer Doe=(bon)......Row 31= Icon 62:QUETZALS=(lux)
Row 32= Icon 31: Potato=(bon).........Row 32= Icon 63:PEARLS=(lux)

So my understanding of this as a Matrix would be that Jade comes first on the luxuries_small as it is Row 11 (column 2);
Next would come Gems as it is Row 13 (column 2);
3rd would be Ivory as it is Row 14 (column 1)
4th would be Silk as it is Row 15 (column 1)
etc.

luxurysmall.pcx order: = Jade / Gems / Ivory / Silk / Diamonds / Lapis Lazuli / Silver / Gold / Quetzals / Pearls:

= I'm sure i have this correct.

= If wrong how should the luxuryicon_small be using my matrix?

PS: trying to figure out how to post the luxurysmall_icon...:hammer2:

Pounder, you keep referring to a matrix. AFAIK there is a resources.pcx, a luxuryicons_small.pcx, a list in the editor & the 'pedia text file. It seems that your matrix is constructed by turning the list from the editor into a chart with 32 items in each column. But you haven't explicitly said so. I think that is where the confusion comes in.

My technical background, sorry.

Replace matrix with spreadsheet.

Matrix = Spreadsheet = Chart is not that hard to figure out. Still doesn't tell us that are less sophisticated where the list is coming from.

We can guess. imho you would have to do a lot less explaining if, for example, the annotated image from the editor highlighted a luxury resource (tobacco) rather than a bonus resource. & change the text explanation to match. That would make it clearer that - assuming I understand correctly - the matrix consists of the resources from the pull down list in the editor arranged into columns of 32.

Top Bottom