Kingdom of Sweden

Still, I don't see anywhere in history where the swedish cannons where more advanced than the others during the same era.

Sweden has never been an technological advanced state before 20th century.

Everything started early 20th century, the early submarines, after WW2 sweden build the worlds fastest jetplane, the "SAAB Tunnan", and it kept the world record for almost a decade. Who knows how the result could have been if it was used during war-time.
Then advanced innovations on the Draken/Viggen jetplanes which where copied by other nations.

Someone mentioned the "stridsvagn S" battle tank.
I thought a bit of it, since it was designed for only swedish defending purposes, maybe it could be a modern armor unit who is allowed to use defensive bonus? (like conquestador)

Before 20th century, swedish science was focused on other things. Sweden hasn't been at war for over 2 centuries now. Being capable of manufacturing high tech today is something special this small nation is good at.

Still I would prefer a modern special unit for sweden, may it be a jet-plane, a stealth boat.. but I don't see any logical reason for better cannons etcetra since sweden quite sucked at that time. Sweden was almost overrun by russians, but got saved thanks to diplomacy.
Also, remember that Sweden is europes youngest nation (well I'm not counting the new yugoslavic countries now), still nobody knows an exact date when sweden was formed.

The vikings are already represented with their berserker unit, so swedes should be the modern alternative.

Also for civics, know that sweden is number 4 in the world in creating patents. Being a country consisting of 9 million citizens, that is heck of a good position. nr1 is japan, 2 usa, 3 germany.

I think PHI is a definite, and maybe FIN. Sweden was a strong economy after ww2, but today its average.
CRE maybe, not so big culture spreader (someone mentioned ABBA before =)
EXP is out of the question, no expanding here, today there is even negative growth in sweden.
AGG/IMP also out of question, peace for over 2 centuries says it all. (and "neutral" during WW2)
CHM maybe, people are satisfied in sweden
ORG could also be, small cities are very well developed in sweden.

Well, I'm finished for now =)

Sweden undoubtedly was most powerful in the time of 30-year war in XVII century. Thats why Swedish Civ should be based upon times your contry was at peak of its power, and resemble the reasons why you were so strong that time.

One of them is carolean infantry - well trained and equipped, it simply ruled the battlefields. Choosing it as UU for Sweden will place the maximum expansion possibilities in correct epoch. For me it will be "historically right". Any other unit you called in here, isn't even half as good as this one.

As for the UB, it is much harder case. This could be a forge replacement, as somebody mentioned before. It will perfectly go in hand with carolean infantry. But if you really want add something that will reflect contemporary times, you can think about hospital or research lab. I think your famous healthcare and educational system are basis for high values of Swedish "Human Development Index".

Traits: Karl XII - Organized and Aggressive
Gustav Adolph - Organized and (Philosophical, Spiritual, Creative)

BTW. There would be great scenario based upon fights for Dominium Mare Balticii (from 30-years war in XVII cnt. till Northern Wars in XVIII cnt.)

Completely agree with the guy above: Sweden's time in the sun was the 17th century and not modelling the civ after that is making a big mistake. First of all that's what people have heard of and when most will recognize Gustav Adolf or perhaps even Karl XII -not even many Swedish gamers will know who Per-Albin Hansson is. Sweden is an unimportant little back-water nowadays, it would simply not be interesting to play that, no matter how advanced the Visby class corvettes are.

About UU, Carolean infantry is probably the best choice. They did dominate battlefields, and were feared and respected in Europe. No disrespect to the Finns at all, but a Finnish UU would be silly - the Finns, who were considered as much Swedish citizens as any Dalecarlian or Smålandic peasant, had the same training and equipment as the rest of the Swedish army.

A ship of the line wouldn't make sense, the Swedish navy was strong but nothing special at all and its ships were not better or bigger than those of other navies. If you really want a naval UU, choose one of Chapman's archipelago frigates, they were truelly unique.

UB? I suggest something connected to the mining or cannon industry. Sweden was Europe's largest producer of cupper/iron ore as well as cannons. Especially Swedish steel was of finest quality during this era.

Sweden did have a big rise in scientific progress in the 18th, 19th (especially) and 20th centuries with scientists as Nobel, Polhem, Linnaeus, Ångström, Celsius, Berzelius+Scheele+Mosander (no other guys discovered as many elements as these), but you can't have everything.

For city names, I wouldn't hesitate to include a number of now Finnish towns. First off, Finland was considered a 'natural' part of Sweden through the majority of the past 1000 years and especially so during the time you model Sweden after. Further many of the towns were founded by Swedish kings anyhow and their power spread over Finland much as it spread over Swedish lands. Towns I'd definitly consider are Åbo, Viborg, Helsingfors, Björneborg, Uleåborg, Vasa and Tavastehus. I would avoid including Malmö, Lund and other Skåne-towns though.

corazone said:
Still, I don't see anywhere in history where the swedish cannons where more advanced than the others during the same era.

Sweden has never been an technological advanced state before 20th century.

Everything started early 20th century, the early submarines, after WW2 sweden build the worlds fastest jetplane, the "SAAB Tunnan", and it kept the world record for almost a decade. Who knows how the result could have been if it was used during war-time.
Then advanced innovations on the Draken/Viggen jetplanes which where copied by other nations.

Someone mentioned the "stridsvagn S" battle tank.
I thought a bit of it, since it was designed for only swedish defending purposes, maybe it could be a modern armor unit who is allowed to use defensive bonus? (like conquestador)

Before 20th century, swedish science was focused on other things. Sweden hasn't been at war for over 2 centuries now. Being capable of manufacturing high tech today is something special this small nation is good at.

Still I would prefer a modern special unit for sweden, may it be a jet-plane, a stealth boat.. but I don't see any logical reason for better cannons etcetra since sweden quite sucked at that time. Sweden was almost overrun by russians, but got saved thanks to diplomacy.
Also, remember that Sweden is europes youngest nation (well I'm not counting the new yugoslavic countries now), still nobody knows an exact date when sweden was formed.

The vikings are already represented with their berserker unit, so swedes should be the modern alternative.

Also for civics, know that sweden is number 4 in the world in creating patents. Being a country consisting of 9 million citizens, that is heck of a good position. nr1 is japan, 2 usa, 3 germany.

I think PHI is a definite, and maybe FIN. Sweden was a strong economy after ww2, but today its average.
CRE maybe, not so big culture spreader (someone mentioned ABBA before =)
EXP is out of the question, no expanding here, today there is even negative growth in sweden.
AGG/IMP also out of question, peace for over 2 centuries says it all. (and "neutral" during WW2)
CHM maybe, people are satisfied in sweden
ORG could also be, small cities are very well developed in sweden.

Well, I'm finished for now =)

I think exp isnt so bad all for now but on meideval the people was wery sick and un healthy but now the people are healthy so it depands if it should be a modern scenario/mod/civ?

And if warlords scenario, i think that norway should be a vassal of danmark and Finland is a swedish vassal.
That would make a great balance :)

gandhi rules said:
Well, it maybe works but this is for kingdom of sweden, but still thanks :)

I'm completely confused.

If you're trying to download the Kingdom of Sweden standalone mod from Wazdix, it's probably been deleted from inactivity and it's not on the Civfanatics server.

Therefore, I'm suggesting that if you still want that mod - with a few tweaks to it - you'll have to get it from CIV Gold. That's where 7zip comes in.

@Wazdix
Three months ago you allowed me to use your nation. Today is Kingdom of Sweden last nation in my mod, that has not 2UU. Advise to me, please, I don´t know history of Sweden, what unit I can use (create) as 2UU for your nation.
Thanks

@Elite_Dannux
Thanks - I read ( write too :) ) in English very bad. Read full thread is long time for me. Better question :) and answer

Concerning unique buildings:

The oldest known blast furnace outside China is found in Lapphyttan in Sweden from the 12th century. Swedish metal industry got another boost during early 17th century with the help of Walloon metallurgists, and has been the most important part of Swedish industry ever since.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_furnace

Other suggestions would be:
* "University Hospital" or "County Hospital" (a monolithic bureaucratic hospital typical to Sweden) which provides two extra scientist slots and +3 health.
* Systembolaget (State liquor monopoly): Replaces Grocer, +10% commerce from Wine, Wheat and Corn
* Folkets hus ("The People's House", Labor movement community center): Replaces Jail, +2 Engineer slots
* Music Studio (representing world-famous bands like ABBA and Roxette, and producers like Denniz Pop and Max Martin): Replaces Broadcast Tower, produces 1 Hit Single, +1 free Artist

Nearly every country?

AFAIK, liquor monopoly is unique to Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland. The labor movement is stronger in Sweden than anywhere else and has more or less ruled the country since WW2. Sweden is the only non-English-speaking country in the world to have a net export of music.

There are many things unique to this country.

Top Bottom