Kingdom of Sweden

City names are a difficult thing... Take Riga, the capital of Latvia as an example. It was founded by germans during the Hansa period. Under swedish rule (1621-1710) it was the largest city of Sweden and today it's the capital of Latvia... With a history like that, and this is far from everything, which country can include Riga? Germany? Russia? Sweden? Poland? Latvia? Maybe another country? I don't really think many people would include it among german cities...

I wouldn't be totally unhappy to see cities and former swedish provinces included. After all, that is when you really feel how powerful Sweden once was.

About that swedish cities list... it sure was a nice list but what about Kiruna, Skellefteå, Borlänge, Motala, Mjölby, Skara, Karlsborg, Sigtuna and probably many more. I didn't think very hard now. Check Västergötland, Östergötland and Svealand more, that's after all the heart of Sweden.

Btw... I don't get the link to the mod to work. When I open the rar file it says unexpected end of archive. I can still open it and extract it to the mods folder, choose the swedish mod in the game but after the restart I can't choose to play with Sweden. I've got other mods working but not this one. Something wrong with the file?

Padishar Creel said:
City names are a difficult thing... Take Riga, the capital of Latvia as an example. It was founded by germans during the Hansa period. Under swedish rule (1621-1710) it was the largest city of Sweden and today it's the capital of Latvia... With a history like that, and this is far from everything, which country can include Riga? Germany? Russia? Sweden? Poland? Latvia? Maybe another country? I don't really think many people would include it among german cities...

I wouldn't be totally unhappy to see cities and former swedish provinces included. After all, that is when you really feel how powerful Sweden once was.

About that swedish cities list... it sure was a nice list but what about Kiruna, Skellefteå, Borlänge, Motala, Mjölby, Skara, Karlsborg, Sigtuna and probably many more. I didn't think very hard now. Check Västergötland, Östergötland and Svealand more, that's after all the heart of Sweden.

Skara and Sigtuna are already in the list.
Kiruna was founded a bit too late for me to include it, in the late 19th century. Borlänge is also a 19th century town.

The remaining four could certainly be included IMO.

Ey landsmän on the mod you could make a alternative Swedish translaition of two things its sound wery svengelska/swenglish and its just sounds good.

And appropå translation ind the scandinavia mod you could translate every langugaes/språk excuse wrong spelling.
Hard work isnt but you get lön for mödan;)

and great peoplels:

Nobel
Holy birgitta our own little girly prophet from blekinge
Jenny lind
bellman
more??:confused:

And for last:
G-Klav said:
Nice mod, I've always missed the Swedes in Civ! :D

I agree on the cities, a civ should mostly have cities founded by the civ itself. And there isn't a lack of cities in Sweden (with Swedish measures... ;) ).

Here's a list of cities founded by Swedes (Stockholm first, then medieval cities and then more modern).

I don't know what the city maximum is, so I've included quite a few.

Stockholm
Uppsala
Kalmar
Åbo
Gävle
Norrköping
Viborg
Sigtuna
Västerås
Linköping
Hedemora
Jönköping
Arboga
Örebro
Borgå
Skara
Visby
Köping
Nådendal
Eksjö
Lidköping
Kexholm
Lödöse
Raumo
Kungälv
Strängnäs
Vadstena
Söderköping
Vimmerby
Västervik
Växjö
Nyköping
Östhammar
Enköping
Öregrund
Falköping
Skövde
Hjo
Skänninge
Bogesund
Tälje
Helsingfors
Göteborg
Torneå
Karlstad
Vasa
Hudiksvall
Piteå
Härnösand
Falun
Björneborg
Eskilstuna
Uleåborg
Luleå
Tavastehus
Borås
Sala
Tammerfors
Sundsvall
Östersund
Villmanstrand
Söderhamn
Umeå

Edit: Added Köping and changed the sorting to medieval cities first and later cities last.

Think visby ska ligga lite högre va, på 1200 å 1300talen var det ju värsta guldåldren där, det var jus nästan huvudstaden i handelskompaniet hansan.

gandhi rules said:
Tats finnish...

True, but...

Wikipedia said:
Hakkapeliitta (plural Hakkapeliitat) was the name given in the Holy Roman Empire to the Finnish horsemen of :king: Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War. A Hakkapeliitta was also known as a Hackapelit, Hackapelite, Haccapelit, or Haccapelite.

The Finnish Hakkapeliitta Cavalry was first used during the Polish-Swedish Wars. In the early 17th century the cavalry led by Marshal Jacob De la Gardie conquered the Russian cities Novgorod and Moscow and in 1632 the cavalry led by General Gustaf Horn conquered much of Germany during the Thirty Years' War.

This could be a unit usable by both Finnish and Swedish Civs.....

Yes but the most Swedish unit is ofcourse Karolin and ship of the line (or man at arms)

And the the question is if it shall be one UU or more and if Finnish Cavalry is both finnish and swedish its not a uniqe unit.

IMO, the city list should only contain names of cities that were originally Swedish.

What will the unique building be? One suggestion is a Furnace ("hytta" in Swedish), replacing the Forge. It would give +25% ground unit production.

Ah...Sweden för Vanilla Civ!

posted this request in the mod-pack forum (kinda new to this forum):

"Leaders: Gustav II Adolf(aggressiv, philosophical), Karl XII(aggressiv, industrious?), Gustav Vasa (financial, industrious?).

Unique Units: Carolingians (Karoliner), Berserkr, Tank S (lowprofile tank with no tower), Bureaucrat connected to Swedens favorite civic Bureaucracy(havent totally figured out how these unit should function).

Favorit civics: Bureaucracy, democracy.

Projects(or wonder maybe?): Nobel Prize"

Would be great if this civ was developed further and remade to fit my favorite mods - total realism and sevo!

maybe add "ombudsman" as a uu of some sort?

Great work!

Whith the nobel prize I dont think its a wonder, its a :gp: (nobel) that can sacrify himself to make a Nobel Price in the city he sacrifyed himself
And the make a sort of an unice academy.

Nobel price:8 :culture: , 3 :) , the builder civilization get 6 :science: each turn(ouououou) The turn is in late game 1 year ect. and other civilization gets 1 happiness per city with a broadcast tower.

How about doing this for warlords?

UU: the karolin musketeer replacement.. well i don't think swedish muskets was any special comparing with other countries
Swedish military power is in todays technology since Sweden has invested a lot in defense science.
Many should say "the jas-39" jetplane maybe, but that plane ain't that special compared to other nations products.
I would say http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/visby/

Yes, the Visby corvette. Sweden is about 10-20 years ahead USA and Russia when it comes to carbon fibre stealh boat technology, and if it was war-time today, this boat could have great impact on sea battles.

I say, let it replace destroyer, give it +50% extra submarine kill, and furthermore, extra anti air defense power, since there it has it strenghts.
Also swedish conventional (non-nuclear driven) submarines are considered to be the best of our time.

Also as a historical fact, the worlds second submarine was built in sweden. Sweden has a long history of naval construction (including the faulty ones like wasa ship =)

As a unique building, someone mentioned a forge replacement. But history tells that swedes was a bit after compared to europe when it came to that age. When denmark invaded sweden with knights, swedes hardly had longbowmen.
Swedens strenghts is still in modern day, and I would say a replacement for university, "kungliga tekniska högskolan" = "royal technical high school".
Think that even though sweden has 9 million population, sweden maintains and has top of the line technology all the time.
Let the KTH (Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan http://www.kth.se/eng/ ) have same stats as normal university, but give a free scientist. It fits that sweden had some great scientists & innovators the latest 200 years.
Everything from Alfred Nobel, Håkan Lans (Inventor of computer mouse, and VGA graphics), Carolus Linneus and so on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_scientists

As for leaderhead: Gustav Vasa & Karl XII are the biggest names in history, but several other kings aswell.

I seem to remember that two of Gustav Adolphus' military innovations centered around the use of their artillery and the better use of cavalry in the age of Pike & Shot. Since the Russian UU is based on Cavalry, the only Unique Units I can come up with would be a variation on the Cannon -- perhaps something that would increase their use in the field? Perhaps they could get +25% versus Gunpowder units?

Reprisal said:
I seem to remember that two of Gustav Adolphus' military innovations centered around the use of their artillery and the better use of cavalry in the age of Pike & Shot. Since the Russian UU is based on Cavalry, the only Unique Units I can come up with would be a variation on the Cannon -- perhaps something that would increase their use in the field? Perhaps they could get +25% versus Gunpowder units?

I agree on most of this, but as he was famous for using mobile (horse drawn) artillery on the battlefield I believe one extra movement could be a good idea.

Top Bottom