1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

KiwiTT's Road to War - Bugs and Fixes

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by kiwitt, Aug 30, 2009.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

0.33 Released

2. Luso

Luso Chieftain

Hi have this mod, but I think I have a bug or some error....

The bug allows the player to choice just only one country that never existed and makes no sense in the theme of the mod, how can I or you fix this? if you cant then why you didnt introduzed other "mythological" countries like Atlantis in the XX century?

Bye

3. kiwitt

Can you show me a screenshot of your error

4. Luso

Luso Chieftain

Ok there it is, I never saw this country, can you explain?

And what map is this?

This bug doesnt make any sense about the time the game represents.
    So can you fix this error?
    Thanks ;)

5. kiwitt

:D Iberia is the official name for Spanish Penisula. It was used to combine Portugal and Spain into one "nation".

I note you are playing the Original version of RtW. My version (see sig) has Portugal represented, albeit Neutral and unplayable. I may make it playable in the future.

However, it plays a minor part in the game and in WWII compared to the other Major Nations.

6. Luso

Luso Chieftain

Spanish Peninsula? :confused: :lol::lol: omg

Or its Iberian Peninsula or Spanish part of Iberia, because Spanish Peninsula doesnt exist, its like I said Scotish Islands instead of Uk Islands. People continue making all that confusion,why?

;) oh and that flag is the spanish republican flag, and not Iberia, if you want to make Iberia I can show you some flags people created even anthems lol ,(yes Iberia is just an idea of two coutries and not one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RjCYVaX7MA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucB3aV1OGxU

I created this one which is more simple, and it have more to do with both countries that belongs to Iberia ;)

(360x250)

(360x360)

Remember all of this is fictional
    Cumps

7. Luso

Luso Chieftain

dont like?? :p

8. kiwitt

Would prefer to see seperate Portugal and Spain.

9. Luso

Luso Chieftain

I agree with Portugal having 3 cities (poles) Lisbon/Oporto/Faro and with leaders as Salazar - Portugal and Frsnco - Spain..., but the Iberia is only Fiction.

10. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Chieftain

kiwitt i am playing the 0.33.1 version or your mod and in Prince Level, Britain and USA develop EVERY TECH in 1 turn.... since 1937..i must go to world builder and unselect (every 10 or 12 turns) almost every technologys of this countrys because they can the nuclear bomb in something middle 1938....so.....i must advice something, or you rise the tech cost 5 o 10 times, or you must remove the Nukes in European Map, because in WWII only use NUKES in pacific scenario....one more thing, is not art work for German Army Group.....another thing, you must considerer that jet fighers and bombers only were used by germany in late 1944 and 1945, no one other country have jet bombers in ALL WORLD WAR TWO (if they were used is was NOT at large scale, so in your mod they must NOT exist jet warplanes except for germany)....so...if you want to do a historic mod, you must remove the nukes from the european map (or rise cost to a number imposibble to build for every country even if they start to build in 1936), and only have jet fighers for germany something 1945....

your mod is great but you need a lot of work for better that...

please...do a map in 1939...is very boring sitting hours and hours (almost 10 hours for my computer ...Pentium 4 , 3 GHz ..2 GB of RAM..AGP video card..)..

11. kiwitt

Are you sure you have the correct Techinfos file installed ?
    Spoiler :
    Tech 01 - 10 = 10,000, Tech 11 - 20 = 20,000, Tech 21 - 30 = 30,000, Tech 31 - 40 = 40,000, Tech 41 - 50 = 50,000, Tech 51 - 53 = 100,000.

Original Road to War Tech costs were 20,000 each.

NOTE: the UK had the Gloster Meteor Prototype in 1941 !!!
    So in actual fact they had the technology early, however it was the "Leader" who delayed the building of them. I could make them siginfican't more costly to build, to reflect this.

As to a "1939 Road to War Scenario". It is not easy to do. There is one in the UE, but even that had some problems (see UE development threads), so I am not keen to head that way.

NOTE: The idea of "Road to War" is to try different development paths and differnet build up strategies to try to win.

I have just looked at "Worldbuilder" for my scenario I am playing as Germany here is the tech developed by each major AI country by August 1940.

12. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Chieftain

yea the technology for jet fighters exist since 1935, but in WWII those planes didnt see action, and if you let the jet technology in your mod, the AI and even the player only can do one type of airplane, because when you unlock a new technology you replace the older plane for the new one, for example, when i get the Fighter technology II the only plane that i can make is the Focke Wulf Fw 190....when unlock the Bomber technology II, the only bomber that i can do in my citys is the Junkers Ju88....when i unlock the infantry technology II ...i can do ONLY GE German Korps.....that i trying to say..if you unlock the jet technology in 1939 in case for britain...they can do a lot of jet fighter squadrons for sept 1939.....that happen with my game....

otherwise....i really love your mod and i trying to help you to improve it..because i now that is a lot of work for release this mod...so thanks kiwitt..

13. kiwitt

There is a limit to how many Jet fighters they can build. And they have minimal impact on the game per se anyway. The most effective units is the Land units, then the air units then the sea units.

Version 0.4x will see further development of air and sea forces.

14. kiwitt

There does not appear to be any show stoppers. So I will now work on version 0.4x.

15. Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt Chieftain

I don't know where to post this, so here it goes.

I believe there are three basic problems to Civilization IV BtS combat.

1) When I have engage in combat and I win, I have no idea what determines whether my unit loses some fighting strength afterwards or not. I’d at least like some graphical representation of a unit’s strength in men, not just fighting power.

2) I believe that the disparity between skill and technological power between modern units and ancient units is not represented properly. I mean, right now the only difference is in strength. In reality, modern units are better in both tactics, doctrine, and equipment.

3) For me, combat seems too simple. There aren’t enough rewards for being a good commander. There is no representation of flanking or intelligent combat manoeuvres. It seems as if it’s all about getting the highest strengthed units to destroy the enemy’s high strength units. And when your own units aren’t strong enough, you just bomb the enemy’s units to hell.

To solve the first problem:

I would like each unit to represent a certain amount of soldiers. For example, a current infantry unit model has three infantry men. Each other these “models” could represent 100 men. There could be a counter describing how many men were still in the unit. So if this infantry unit engages in combat, and is at 25% strength at the end of the battle, there will be a total of 75 guys out of 300 left.
    This representation of men will also help my other two ideas.

To solve the second problem:

I believe that modern units should have an intrinsic advantage over early units (due to better weapons, tactics, leadership ect, etc).
    For each technological step above another unit, the first unit will have a bonus 25% probability to win the battle. So a middle unit will have a bonus 25% probability of winning the battle.
    An advanced unit will have a 50% probability of winning against an early unit. A Modern unit will have a 75% percent probability and so on.
    You can represent this probability by the inferior unit (technologically inferior) losing 25% strength or something similar.

To solve the third problem:

Make so each unit faces left, right, up, or down. This will be the direction the unit is prepared to fight in. If attacked left or right of the faced direction, the unit is being flanked. It will lose 50% strength being attacked this way. If a unit is attacked from the rear, it will lose 75% of total strength.

-------------

This is incomplete and open to debate. I will write more to better illustrate my idea, which I will post later.

Regards, Thomas

16. kiwitt

I thought you were looking at RtW combat.

To solve the first problem:solved.

I have used multiple men for units (i.e. a division may have two men, a corps 4 men and an army 6 men) and for vehicles (Pz III vs Tiger, i.e. stonger tanks for larger formations.). And as the units gets wounded they end up with less men or in the case of vehicles more damage states.

To solve the second problem:solved

RtW includes many unique promotions. The most ancient units are the WWI-equipped minor nations forces. And more advanced units have more skills.

To solve the third problem:solved

In my mod each unit represents 1,000's of men so it it not appropriate to have facings

However, you may wish to discuss these ideas more formally in this area of Civ 4 - Creation and Customisation - forum.(below), where you are sure to get more feedback on your more general ideas.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

17. Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt Chieftain

I actually meant to say RtW combat.

For my third problem, I wanted to add another dimension to combat where flanking a unit would cause significant combat advantages for the attacker. My thinking was that this would add more depth to combat, as better commanders can win more battles with better tactics with weaker units.

Plus you could add more promotions to do with flanking, either more attack with it, or more defense against it.

Plus adding facings wouldn't be too hard. Sure your units represen thousands of men, but they square they stand represents thousands of kilometers of land.

18. kiwitt

Most attacks in Civ 4 (and RtW as well) are against units in a city.

In addition, units in Civ 4 are an abstract representation. When I played Total War Series:Medieval, Rome, etc, they did have better combat.

However, I have reflected this flanking bonuses in the units ability to withdarw from combat. e.g. a Submarine can attack and kill a battleship or if it fails it can at lease withdraw safely. Similarly with armoured units. the more successful a unit becomes the more chance it has of withdrawing.

You really should give my mod a go. German Panzer Divisions can do really damage to French Armies and still survive, let alone their panzer Corps and Panzer Armees up against, the Russian Army Fronts.

19. Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt Chieftain

In the cities, I understand the absurdity of facing. You are absolutely correct here. City combat doesn't need to be changed, I think it is fine as it is (with being able to bomb different parts and such)

However, combat in the field, outside of cities could use directional facing. Even fortifications could use facing. Fortications could face three ways so the only viable way to attack them is from the rear.

Well, focusing on combat in the field as it makes the most sense, I think directional flanking (in the field) would work. I mean flanking as attacking the actual side of the unit, not graphically attacking it head on, and maybe because of the promotion flanking some units do flank, but no one sees it.

Regards, Thomas

20. kiwitt

Given that 90% of combat is units vs city unit, it is not really justifiable to add it to my mod.

However, as I said before you could post in the main Civ4 C&C forum and get more feedback.