• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Korean civilization

ivonbeton

Chieftain
So I usually just roleplay a bit by going tall and then proceeding to warmonger when provoked.
Never too bothered with victory so I usually get a domination or science victory.

Decided to up the difficulty and really focus on a victory type for ones. So I went with Korea on Immortal (I usually don't bother with anything above King).
I knew I was behind at the start because of the difficulty so I started out with a fast military build, negating wonders and most buildings.
I managed to grab the closest enemy his capital with relative easy. So I had 4 cities pretty fast and I started focusing on going tall.

The only other opponent on my continent soon attacked me, but by this point I was already ahead in science and managed to beat him easily thanks to a lot of ranged units.
From this point onwards, all I had to do was refuse open border treaties and keep sucking up to the city states. Close to the end, I was one or two eras ahead of the only other civ still posing a threat.

So my question is: Did I just get a good start or is Korea really that good on higher difficulties?
My tech was just going so well that I could get a few key wonders first and snowballed after that. I think I hogged all wonders but one.

Korea is god-tier and you also got a good start. They're almost universally considered top 5 if not top 3 civilizations. Once you take a capital or two on Immortal, it's game over.

Allright, thanks! The tech was rather insane if properly micromanaged. Just curious, what are some of the other top civs then? Haven't played one which was nearly as good as Korea yet. I guess Austria and Babylon can be great aswell?

Regarding Austria, in this game with Korea I managed to pull ahead so easily that I had 90% of the city states as allies and the just spammed me with units.

Hmmm, most of the 'tier lists' you'll find in the S&T forums usually have the same top 5 in a different order. Babylon, Korea, Ethiopia, Inca, Mayans, and Arabia are all considered top-tier. China can also be thrown in there. Notice that most of them are science civs ;). Austria can be good, but their bonus comes mostly in the middle of the game. Early bonuses, which most of the civs I listed have, snowball better throughout the game.

From that list I've played Arabia before. Those camel archers were insane, but I couldn't finish before they got outdated and I was struggling after. I might avoid those science civs then or try and get a difficult start, this was almost too easy :D

From that list I've played Arabia before. Those camel archers were insane, but I couldn't finish before they got outdated and I was struggling after. I might avoid those science civs then or try and get a difficult start, this was almost too easy :D

If you beeline Chivalry, then Camel Archers are good enough to win the game with. You need to prepare for it though. And they're also the only civ to have a desert start bias, so that's almost as good as one of the faith UB's. Their UA is a bit lack-luster though to balance out the rest of their traits.

So my question is: Did I just get a good start or is Korea really that good on higher difficulties?
My tech was just going so well that I could get a few key wonders first and snowballed after that. I think I hogged all wonders but one.

Well, after all, Korea's UA is about science, providing a boost to science and tech boost each time a wonder or scientific building is built in the capital. Like you said, you think you hogged all the wonders except for one so that is like a 999999999999999999999999999999999999% tech boost for you right there

Well, after all, Korea's UA is about science, providing a boost to science and tech boost each time a wonder or scientific building is built in the capital. Like you said, you think you hogged all the wonders except for one so that is like a 999999999999999999999999999999999999% tech boost for you right there

It's only a tech boost from science-oriented wonders.

Top Bottom