Korea's colors give me a headache

Anyone else here a big fan of France and Sweden's colours?

Blue is obviously my favourite colour. France looks very refined and elegant yet vibrant, whilst Sweden's just looks happy all around.

Mongol color is the worst for me.

Dunno, I kinda like it. :D Dark red (kinda) for fiery Mongols. :D
Egypt is bit poke in the eye, but not too terrible. For me Morocco is the worst, it's just big poke in the eye. Ethiopia is there, poke in the my other eye. :D

I find Siam's colours are just an eye sore, also does anyone find that Assyria's borders when they first found a city look like a fried egg? Maybe its just my obsession with food! :rolleyes:

I think all the 'yellow' civs are a bit problematic, especially on the minimap when you have more than one (a nuisance in my last game when Siam and Egypt bordered each other); a point in Korea's favour is that it looks great on the minimap, where it can't be confused with anything else. I agree that Siam's colours are worse than Egypt's, Russia's or the Inca due to the sharp contrast - this is again a colour scheme based on the modern national flag, though.

I also think Poland should have Austria's colors, but I digress there.

Surely Japan's would be equally appropriate, since Poland's colours are equal parts white and red.

Japan's colors are the exact opposite of Austria's colors, so it's not really necessary to go down that road. Essentially, their white is more pronounced than their red. Poland may be equal parts red and white, but having slightly more red but still white is better than red and even darker red.

I like bright high contrasted happy colours or that go nicely with each other like the Netherlands, Byzantium, Assyria, Austria, Arabia, Egypt, Rome, Spain, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Japan, England, and Polynesia. One's I hate are Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Korea, Morocco, Songhai, Aztecs, Celts, Huns, Iroquois, Maya, Inca, and Shoshone. The rest I don't mind they are ok but they aren't pretty either.

They really messed the colours up. They're often historically inappropriate, too similar to each other, or would work better with another civ (á la Austria and Poland.) It drives me nuts. It's easier to list the colour schemes I don't mind (and don't change in my mod): USA, Shoshone, Aztecs, Maya, Brazil, Celts, Zulu, Songhai, Ottomans, Babylonia, and Japan. Aside from that, England, The Netherlands, Sweden, Arabia, and Indonesia, are close, but still need slight tweaking to really fit. I've thought way to much about this. :crazyeye:

Japan's colors are the exact opposite of Austria's colors, so it's not really necessary to go down that road. Essentially, their white is more pronounced than their red. Poland may be equal parts red and white, but having slightly more red but still white is better than red and even darker red.

No, I mean giving Poland the exact colour palette Japan has now - i.e. with white as their main colour rather than their current red.

I'm just not sure why you singled out Austria rather than Japan for the change, when either would work equally well.

Aside from that, England, The Netherlands, Sweden, Arabia, and Indonesia, are close, but still need slight tweaking to really fit. I've thought way to much about this.

At least with Austria/Poland they have the excuse that Austria came first. I like England's scheme, but it's not clear why it's the one it is - if I remember correctly in most Civ games England has been the same shade of bright red as its flag (never mind that it should have a wide background colour if going for St George's Cross - it's fair enough to give that scheme to Japan). England would have been a reasonable candidate to get the colours later given to Austria.

China

Im colour deficiency (redgreen) so CHina on the world map is like, where the fk is china

No, I mean giving Poland the exact colour palette Japan has now - i.e. with white as their main colour rather than their current red.

I'm just not sure why you singled out Austria rather than Japan for the change, when either would work equally well.

Well, the reason I singled out Austria is because, if you give Austria Poland's colors, it'll make Austria look better. The Hapsburg Eagle was black in color. In the game it's white in color. Granted, with Poland's colors, it would be a really, really dark red, but it'll still look quite close. Poland with Austria's colors, on the other hand, would look quite like The Polish Coat of Arms, so it would be spot on.

While I do prefer the style they used in Civilization V, compared to one color per civ in Civilization IV (seriously, there are like 5 yellow civilizations in that game :lol:), it does tend to have this slight problem.

Korea's colors, along side The Aztec's and Morocco's, are the worse in the main game (and then there's *shudder* The Confederacy's in the scenario).
In fact, I've been wanting to play Morocco... ever since BNW came out, but I just don't have the will to do it because I know i'll be force to look at those awful colors the entire game... :cringe:

On another note, there are some beautiful colors out there! :D A shout-out to Portugal's - seriously, I am STILL so entirely happy for their colors, they couldn't have chosen any better ones! Seeing them in-game just makes me so happy! :lol:

Also, The Wonder's of the Ancient World scenario had some really good colors s well, that are not used in the main game! :p Not really sure why they never used Sumeria's anywhere else, along side The Hittites'.

Also, The Wonder's of the Ancient World scenario had some really good colors s well, that are not used in the main game! :p Not really sure why they never used Sumeria's anywhere else, along side The Hittites'.

It's possible that Firaxis intended to add those two civs to the game and still haven't got round to it yet. Also, while I'd agree with you on Sumeria, I'd argue that the Hittite's colour scheme is kind of similar to that of the Songhai. Perhaps they change the red for purple or maroon to make it more distinctive?

The colour schemes that I personally find most annoying are the ones that use white as their primary colour (Japan, Greece, Portugal and to a lesser extent the Ottomans, Huns, Carthage and Assyria) - simply because it's hell to determine where their borders are on the minimap if you're unlucky enough to have them spawn next to each other. This is particularly annoying on the larger map sizes where the dots for the cities (which are in their contrasting secondary colours) are smaller comparatively and are therefore harder to spot.

The 'clashing'/'ugly' colour schemes of some of the civs don't really bother me that much as long as they are sufficienly different from the others (like with Morocco). I do think that some of the colour choices Firaxis made weren't the most appropriate for their civs from a historical/cultural standpoint though (China, Poland, Siam, the Iroquois etc).

In the end though, you're never going to make everyone happy with the choices you make. The best you can though is change stuff that the majority of people are unhappy with.

The only one that really drives me nuts is Siam. I just can't stand those colors.

My favorite color combos would have to be the amazing looking Shoshone (I love that dark grey) followed closely by the Celts, Mayans and Zulu.

I've always had a problem seeing my own borders playing as Germany or Brazil.

Indonesia's borders remind me of Civ IV borders, so bright and hard to miss!

It's also kinda funny how the yin yang on the South Korean flag has a red "North" and a blue "South" :mischief:

I like the natural colored ones. Nice for the eyes. Mayans, Denmark, Zulus and the Iraquas. Celts is nice.

Agree on Ethiopia and Korea. Can't stand to look at them a whole game and they are the only ones I never finished with..

I find Inca's colors more painful than those of Korea/Morocco/Ethiopia. Yellow and light emerald green just don't work for me.

I actually like Germany's as well. Then again, I like grey and thought the Confederacy should have been given Germany's colors for the scenario.

I also like Portugal's, Iroquois' and Sweden's colors.

Korea's are too bright and I also agree that Ethiopia requires a number of double takes to make sure it is not a barb unit.

I played my first game with Portugal today and I love their color, sweet and peaceful.
I hate Iroquois', not because of the color itself, but their city-spamming.

Poland is my least favorite, the red is too sharp and seems to clash with absolutely everything, especially given the amber-ish tone the interface and map has. It just seems too dark, aggressive, and uninviting.

Considering you meet with Casimir in a dungeon, I don't think they were going for an "inviting" theme with Poland. :lol:

My favorites are Portugal, Shoshone, and Indonesia. I dislike Siam's ketchup & mustard theme and Inca's colors are just a bit too loud.

Considering you meet with Casimir in a dungeon, I don't think they were going for an "inviting" theme with Poland. :lol:

My favorites are Portugal, Shoshone, and Indonesia. I dislike Siam's ketchup & mustard theme and Inca's colors are just a bit too loud.

Your meeting with Casimir takes place on his castle's drawbridge at night. Presumably he kept you waiting outside the castle until he came out to meet you because he's a dick.

Portugal and Shoshone are good ones too though. I almost wish you could modify the colours like you can change your name and title.

I realize they want to maintain each culture's integrity and all that, but at the same time, I've always found it such a large consideration as to the point where I've never even played many civs because I find their colours schemes distasteful and negatively impact my mood and enthusiasm for playing them. Clearly I'm not the only one. Perhaps they could restrict you to the nations colours, but allow you to adjust the saturation and brightness... I don't know.

But, then, maybe it doesn't matter anyhow. I rarely get more than halfway through a game before getting frustrated about not being Carthage, quitting, and starting a new game as Carthage.

Top Bottom