Kresta I Soviet missile cruiser

I_batman, you have to remember that we are limited to a 240x240 frame. The bigger the unit is, the more frame it takes up, and the more compact the effects have to be. On top of that, I'm partial to trying to keep some sort of scale among the ships. I would like to be able to see more detail on my ships as well, but I am going to stay with my current scaling system. Also, I do not relish the thought of going through my units again to increase their size. It would be more work than I would want to do again. In addition I would have to alter most of the effects to some degree or another.

It's too bad Civ3 didn't have a greater range for it's zoom option or something equivalent. I am keeping all my Max files so if the time ever comes, I can port them over to Civ4. Unfortunately, that means cutting poly count, which makes me cringe.

Winter, there is an option in Civ4 to display only single units. Also, I did a test run and was able to put my Kirov ingame, no poly reduction at all. However, if I were to leave my models at the poly count they are, one would need a heavy duty system to handle all those high poly models. Plus, I would get alot of complaints from people with low end systems if I were to release high poly count models for Civ4.

vingrjoe said:
Winter, there is an option in Civ4 to display only single units. Also, I did a test run and was able to put my Kirov ingame, no poly reduction at all. However, if I were to leave my models at the poly count they are, one would need a heavy duty system to handle all those high poly models. Plus, I would get alot of complaints from people with low end systems if I were to release high poly count models for Civ4.

Vingrjoe, did you release that Civ IV Kirov to the general public?
If you don't mind, I would love to see what it looks like in Civ IV.
I actually went out and bought a high end system just to play Civ IV.
I joke that this system can run NASA's next mission to Mars, or barely play Civ IV.
I bought a top end graphics card with half a gig of memory on it, so I think it should handle the Kirov graphics.
Just want to see how your work translates over to Civ IV.

vingrjoe said:
sure- but having single units on display doenst increase polygon handling :(

I_batman, I'd have to look around for it, I may have deleted the NIF file. I didn't have any textures on it though.

Here is a link to my Charles F. Adams destroyer I setup for CivIV. This was before that tutorial was released on animating units for CivIV (although those read like instructions for launching the space shuttle). Anyway, there are no animations, just the default. This is the high poly model I used for Civ3.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161087

Winter, I agree. I was just thinking that turning of multiple units would free up some resources for higher poly models...somewhat.

My rig is running dual BFG 7800GTs (256 Mb DDR) in SLi mode, an AMD dual core processor, and 2 gigs of PC3200 ram. So I'm assuming my setup, or any comparable rig could probably handle a small CivIV scenario with high poly units. Although, this is just my guess. But for now, I'm sticking with Civ3 unit production. El Justo's TCW has some more unit gfx I'd like to fill.

MatteLeDog, you should be happy to know that I just received a 1/600 scale Moskva helicopter cruiser model today, which I won on ebay. So, one step closer to getting the Moskva.

Thanks Vuldacon...I was wondering when I'd hear from you. Also, thanks for the info on Flicster versus Civ3FlcEdit as well. I'm not sure, but I think I finally got the units32 palette right this time.

Not Bad vingrjoe but the palette isn't correct.
...here is your same units_32.pcx with correct palette and a few added color pixel additions. Use the Same Palette for All units_32.pcx files. You can change the default color palette to Red #1 in Flicster for a Default Flc then using one frame from the Flc, adapt the units_32 palette and adjust the Civ Specific colors (Red in the palette, see my tutorial) easier. Just use the same palette the game uses always for the units_32.pcx files.

Attachments

• Kresta_units_32.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 97
Vuldacon, I can't believe how thick I can be sometimes. I know you have explained to me about the units32 palette at least twice before, and now it's finally sunk into my head. Thanks again for your work, it's nice to have additional quality control.

vingrjoe said:
MatteLeDog, you should be happy to know that I just received a 1/600 scale Moskva helicopter cruiser model today, which I won on ebay. So, one step closer to getting the Moskva.
Oh my that will be nice the soviet navy is really getting a facelift.

Vuldacon, I can't believe how thick I can be sometimes. I know you have explained to me about the units32 palette at least twice before, and now it's finally sunk into my head. Thanks again for your work, it's nice to have additional quality control.
You are welcome vingrjoe, Your Units are of the highest quality. BTW, if you need the units_32 palette and other helpful palettes for making units_32 files, you can get them in my tutorial which is posted in Zulu's tutorial thread on how to make units_32 files.

Plus all the ones I plan on doing that I got from Gunpoint's extensive collection.

Could someone please point me to the tool/method of reducing the model scale of unit .flc's? As good looking as this one is, I can't use it when its so much bigger than all the other units I'm using.

Many thanks.
Pete

Could someone please point me to the tool/method of reducing the model scale of unit .flc's? As good looking as this one is, I can't use it when its so much bigger than all the other units I'm using.

This is the first time I've heard that someone thought my units were too big. I have several comments on them being too small for some tastes.

Offhand, I know of no programs that can reduce flics, only ones that enlarge.

Yes I read that request and thought wth myself. El-Justo get that patch ready for TCW or maybe TCW4 ;) . Wyrm if you have alot of modern ships on the drawing board I foresee alot of scenarios being upgraded.

Top Bottom