1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

Err how? They are equal loss. Genghis gives bonus attack to his calvary AND chance to capture enemy calvary... that is not small.

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Bat14

Bat14 Chieftain

Same as in the Vietnam video, there is a part where a bunch of units are all moving simultaneously (1:37 in Kublai vid). Is this a new feature or has this always been the case? It looks so cool!

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If you do get it to work it does make the rewards greater. It's might not always be ideal but it does make it to where a trading/economic Kublai will at least bring a different playstyle to wonder building Qin.

They usually are on the Wednesday before the pack/update drops.

4. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

I think it's just the editors slowing the Units down to give a neat effect. Not an actual in-game feature.

5. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Not a huge fan of his abilities (not bad, just nothing we haven't seen before), but I will say, I am positively enamored at how they were able to design a leader ability that actually synergized with two civs that couldn't be any more different: one for conquest, and another for culture. It took me a while to realize it, but the way that Kublai specifically synergizes with both Civs he can lead is very clever! Good job devs!

6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Kublai shall lead Babylon. If he leads Babylon that will be the most powerful.

7. anonxanemone

anonxanemone Warlord

BTW is the map shown on the video an East Asia map already in the game?

8. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Sounds alright per se but.. I kinda feel like Genghis is better as Mongolia and Qin Shi Huang is better as China still. But we'll see. Either way it's better than power creep

9. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

It's already been in the game for a long time.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think that (along with Rome) will make a pretty nice "first" civ too.

11. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

probably just developer shenanigans. you can see that everything's moving in slowmo - they probably did something to slow the game down to the point of being able to get them all moving at basically the same time. As is, you can already have multiple units moving from tile to tile at the same time, you just cant have multiple special animations, like attacking, playing at once. That's why they don't all finish their movement all at once, intsead in a sort of wave, and why they only have the keshig attacking

12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm probably more likely to play Kublai Mongolia though

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It came with Khmer/Indonesia DLC.

I find him more interesting at least for Mongolia. Not that the making a Mongol Horde doesn't fit Mongolia but it's another way to play as them. Gaining instant eurekas and inspirations that could help out your military can be useful.

14. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

This is an easy problem to solve. Just use trade routes internally in the early game. That's something you normally want to do anyway since it helps grow your newly founded settlements.

Trust me, it won't take long for your research to outpace your production. Especially since you're playing as China and your bigger research boosts will add up over time. You'll quickly get to a point where you can't build things fast enough to get boosts and are forced to start hard-researching nodes. Once you're there, you can start using your trade routes externally since it won't matter when they finish anymore.

15. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Mongolian Kublai is an adequate generalist, +1 Eco card and instant trade posts means he can get more gold than usual in a peaceful game, while still militarily competitive because of diplo visibility combat bonus. Do agree that Chinese Kublai on the other hand is underwhelming.

16. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

It's not a feature. They're giving actions to each unit and playing them all at the same time, rather than one at a time. Probably something they coded for the sake of video updates.

17. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Bring back Elective Leaders Mode from Civ 4!

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Yes, I think that's a good design. But shouldn't he have some ability to erect pleasure domes, at least in Xanadu?

19. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

Trying to decide how I feel about this. On the one hand, the trade route ability has interesting synergy with both civs in different ways. On the other, it’s VERY map size dependent (but still, 11 free eurekas and inspirations is nothing to sniff at). Of course, I appreciate the extra economic policy always. Not OP, not UP. Interesting enough. Idk until I play.

Buktu, Zaarin, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  20. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

+1 yellow slot is a pretty good bonus, and random eureka and inspiration for establishing a trading post with a civ for the first time is kind of manageable.

I do wish there was something else though, like maybe Kublai's traders move twice as fast, so they finish trade routes in half the time.

Kmart_Elvis, Kjimmet, Starina and 3 others like this.