[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

If the ability does work with city-states, you would be incentivized to liberate conquered city-states (and conquered civs) in order to use them for free eurekas. This will be especially effective with Mongolia's combat bonuses.
That's sparked a thought. What counts as a "new" civ? I mean, if a CS that's been liberated counts as "new", you could get two boosts out of them instead of one...that would be a good incentive to let CSs fall and then liberate them. I might actually take part in that World Congress emergency for once...

The background of white-robed Chinese Kublai seems based on the Taiyechi Lake 太液池 of Khanbaliq, which encompassed modern day Beihai and Zhongnanhai lakes in Beijing. Taiyechi was the only place in Khanbaliq that was known for southern-China-like waterside sceneries.

Although I cannot identify the pavilion-like building in the background, most of the Yuan dynasty palaces in Beijing were destroyed after Ming army sacked Khanbaliq.

Last edited:
A little bland but I like the synergy with both Mongolia and China, he should be fairly easy to use effectively. I am also a big fan of the dual leader idea, I wish there were more.
Someday I hope to get the time to mod Victoria to work as a leader for Scotland. More controversially, I may try to make Saladin work for Egypt. That said, I have no idea when I would even start on that.

Someday I hope to get the time to mod Victoria to work as a leader for Scotland. More controversially, I may try to make Saladin work for Egypt. That said, I have no idea when I would even start on that.
Not sure about Saladin, but the thought of Victoria conquering other cities around the world and building golf courses to keep those people happy does sound pretty fun.

Unlike Eleanor, the two Kublais don't seem to have separate icons cuz his head stays the same :(
No words on his agenda yet?

Yeah even though I originally had the thought his robes would change, I expected later after thinking about it that wouldn't be the case, because I realized thanks to changing hairstyle, Eleanor has different icon and as such you can differentiate between them If both Eleanors are in game. Then again, they could just change background color.

AD Kublai leading Babylon: At this point I once again think, If Civ Abilities would be designed as unique playstyles with complex nature and Leader Abilities would be more policy-scope CivV-style mini-bonuses, combining any leader with any civ would be the way to go in Civ 7. If you can play as Fascist Ghandi, there's not big leap to Fascist Ghandi leading France. Civs and leaders would still be released alongside each other and each civ would have its leader, so no change here for those used to this system and to those very conservative, there would be choice alongside No Duplicate Leaders and Civs to assign them correctly. The simplier bonuses would allow wider-spanning synergy. This would also make it so that even if alt leaders are scarce, they could provide more fun If they could synergize with more civs. Harder on the balance side tho.

Kublai Khan's agenda is Pax Mongolica which is "Likes Civs that have a strong military and high Gold yield per turn. Dislikes Civs with a weak military or low income."

Basically Hojo's agenda but a bit easier to fulfill.

Edit: Interestingly enough this agenda will make Kublai befriend with other naval civs (lots of Harbors for Gold, lots of ships for military numbers) and possibly Cree (for some reason every time I have Poundmaker in my game he is fielding a large army).

Last edited:
FXS slaps the roof of Civ 6
,,This bad boy can fit so many Paxes"

Unlike Eleanor, the two Kublais don't seem to have separate icons cuz his head stays the same :(
No words on his agenda yet?

They do change. Just slightly, but there is a difference in the robes neck. See below

Kublai Leaderhead.png

Mongolia is already a great sleeper religious civ because of their Civ Ability: their huge diplomatic visibility bonuses make some really powerful apostles. Kublai's +1 economic card makes them even better because religious cards are yellow. At Theocracy you can run Holy Orders (100% adjacency), Simultaneum (extra faith from buildings) and Religious Orders (+5 religious combat) and not even have to use your wild card slot to do so.

Kublai sounds fun! A yellow card slot would be good enough on its own, but considering I like to establish wide trading networks, he meshes very well with both his civs. Honestly I like it more than Vietnam, who seem a little too disfocused (in terms of a victory condition) for me.

I'll be honest... I'll happily play vietnam and corporations, but I doubt that I'll have any other incentive for playing KK than the fact that I have a victory with all the leaders. The eco policy slot slot is very strong, but both china and mongolia are far from being civ's I'm excited to replay ;-(
China is only fun to play because of Qin's ability to me. Mongolia is just another pure Domination civ.
BTW, I bought all expansions at launch and know of an elusive Historic Moment when you get a trading post in all civs, but have never got it. Maybe this is finally the time for me to try to get that thing done.

https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/1354165098588360704?s=20

Kublai Khan's agenda is Pax Mongolica which is "Likes Civs that have a strong military and high Gold yield per turn. Dislikes Civs with a weak military or low income." He also has a religious preference for Buddhism.
Looks like he'll want to field a large army when leading China as well.

Still no Cultured agenda... Perhaps for the last Civilization, then?
No need to go back to Europe just for Bulgaria. :p

Top Bottom