Language translations for leader sayings

It's a bit of a shame. With the emphasis on leader personality, letting the leader gloat would have been a worthwhile addition, I think.

It would be a fun touch, but I think most players would quit if a defeat looked likely, so it wouldn't actually be seen by the player all that much.

Not to mention... the AI isn't really competitive enough that this would happen all that often anyway!

They actually recorded Gloat lines for the AI in Civ 5, presumably if the player came to peace under unfavorable terms or gave into a demand.

Catherine's new voiced line, as discussed above, is indeed her Magnificence persona Civilopedia quote, rendered in English as, "There is a certain joy of life to our culture. It is useless to resist its charm." Given the English, I'm inclined to think she's actually saying, "Il y a beaucoup de charme à nos manières. Il est tout à fait vain de résister à ses attraits."
Is the in-game English translation correct? Google translates it as "There is a lot of charm in our ways. It is quite futile to resist its attractions."

Is the in-game English translation correct? Google translates it as "There is a lot of charm in our ways. It is quite futile to resist its attractions."
Google Translate's translation is more literal, but semantically both translations amount to the same thing.

Just to let you know... the guy who did voice of Menelik II did a great job imitating his recorded voice. Yes just like Teddy, Menelik also have a surviving record of his voice ( even though this one is bit close to his death)
The tone is quite similar to one in game.

Oh and just released that Bull Moose teddy have lines for his new agenda that is unspoken. Bit disappointing but understandable considering what is going on. I guess they couldn't get hold of a guy who voiced teddy.

Even the french translation isn't correct.

What she says:
"Il y a beaucoup de charme dans nos manières. Il est tout à fait vain de résister à ces attraits.."
(roughly: There is plenty of charm in our manners. It is quite futile to resist at those allurements.)

What is written:

"Notre culture possède une certaine joie de vivre. Inutile de résister à son charme".
(roughly: Our culture has a certain "Joie de vivre" (litt: joy of living). No need to resist its charm".

Sometimes, I wonder who is translating the game in french. It is clearly not made by an automatic translator because I can find some typos here and there. But I doubt they play the game: sometimes some phrasing is that special that you can't link it to a game mechanic. For example:
"Nîhithaw : Routes commerciales +1 et un négociant offert si vous avez découvert la poterie. Les cases inoccupées se trouvant à 3 cases ou moins d'une ville Cri se retrouvent en sa possession lorsqu'un négociant s'installe dans la ville pour la première fois."
(roughly: +1 Trade Routes and a free Trader if you have discovered Pottery. Unoccupied tiles within 3 tiles or less of a Cree city found themselves claimed when a Trader settles in the city for the first time.)
Some bonus are not even listed (the -2 Loyalty from Audience Chamber isn't written in the description...).

It is not the only case. Between what is said and what the quote is, there is the same problems some leaders like John Curtin, Philip II and Victoria lines. Maybe they were rewritten to be more elegant in french. Quite possible in fact.
In the same time, the lines from Pedro II do Brasil, Simon Bolivar, Wilfried Laurier, Rough Rider Teddy, Wihelmina are litteral and so seems Robet Bruce (of what I can understand, very close to english)

Sometimes, I wonder who is translating the game in french.
Most probably they translated it from English, without referring to what is actually said in French.
Same story with Peter - what he says differs from subtitles in Russian version of the game.

The only exception that I saw is Philip's attacked line - the subtitles are what are actually said in Spanish, rather than what's in the English version of the game.
Line said: "Aquesto es absurdo, ¿nos estáis declarando la guerra? ¿Acaso ignoráis el poderío de la Armada Invencible?"
Subtitles in the Spanish localization: "A que esto(sic!) es absurdo, ¿nos estáis declarando la guerra? Acaso ignoráis el poderio de la Armada Invencible."
Literal translation: "This is absurd. Are you declaring war? Do you ignore the power of the Invincible Armada?"
Subtitles in the English version: "You think your army can compare with my armada… with the might of my empire? You are grievously mistaken."

Although in other lines it's not the case. For example in "declares war" line
Line said: "Se os ha juzgado por vuestros pecados. ¡Y ahora los expiaréis! ... Que Dios se compadezca de vuestra alma." ("You have been judged for your sins. And now you will expiate them! ... May God have pity on your soul."))
Subtitles in the Spanish localization: "Habéis contravenido nuestro reino y el de Dios... Debéis responder por vuestros pecados." (Google translation: "You have contravened our kingdom and that of God ... You must answer for your sins.")
Subtitles in the English version: "You have transgressed against my kingdom and the kingdom of God… you must answer for your sins."

Last edited:
Most probably they translated it from English, without referring to what is actually said in French.
I have seen it happen with the french subtitling on some DVDs which may be completely different dialogue than what is actually spoken, and is almost certainly a separate translation of the English subtitles instead of an actual subtitling of the french dialogue. Probably what's happened here: they were literally never sent the French sound file, only the English text (because, hey, they didn't need to send the sound files for the other languages, did they? Oops...).

So we will have two new leaders: a Byzantine one, who will probably speak Medieval Greek (like Theodora in Civ5) and a Gaulish one who will speak Gaulish(?) Is Gaulish language attested well enough so that dialogues can be translated to it?

Somebody who know Amharic left more literate translations in comments section of Menelik's video.
Greeting: Hello, I am Menelik, Lion of Judah,my house and roots is from the Solomonic dynasty of king of kings of Ethiopia. Greetings.

Attacked: Don't you know the lion of Judah always came out a winner? Well,soon you will learn about it the hard way.

Declares War: Your deed is insulting for Ethiopians, so that you will pay a heavy price for this.

Agenda-based Approval: I am glad you have chosen the flat land over the high mountains cause these are both culturally and rightfully mine so you better settle down somewhere else.

Defeated: Do you think God would abandon Ethiopia? Do you really think he would favour you? Don't celebrate your win too soon.

So we will have two new leaders: a Byzantine one, who will probably speak Medieval Greek (like Theodora in Civ5) and a Gaulish one who will speak Gaulish(?) Is Gaulish language attested well enough so that dialogues can be translated to it?

Theodora in Civ V didn't speak Medieval Greek though, it's just regular Attic Greek with the modern pronunciations and some weird modernisms (and grammatical mistakes). Medieval Greek was almost identical to Modern Greek structurally and in vocabulary, while the scholars and monarchs insisted on using proper pure Attic Greek. The Byzantines were very keen on archaisms to the extent that various ethnic groups they came in contact with were labeled as ancient extinct ones e.g. they called Pechenegs, Cumans etc "Scythians".

If the voice acting is to be entirely consistent, the Byzantine leader will speak Attic like Pericles or Alexander, but with a modern accent minus some differences in phonology, for example ypsilon still pronounced as an "ü" rather than "ee" like in Modern Greek.

I've been looking into pep quotes of leaders recently and here what I found:

Gorgo's Declare war line:
The first sentence is is indeed the famous Melian dialogue, but it's itself part of History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides. Wikisource has the original one and comparing source and translation I found the exact paragraph. So the whole line should be.

Gorgo's pep talk:
This one is from Parallel Lives by Plutarch, from the part dedicated to Lycurgus of Sparta. Yet again comparing source and translation I found the exact paragraph and quote.

I don't know Greek but judging by transcription given by Google translate (Ouk án eíi ateíchistos pólis átis ándressi, kaí ou plínthois estefánotai.) this should be it. Maybe @Basileus Rhomaion can confirm this.
@Morningcalm, could you please replace and add these? Feel free to reword or correct my grammar if necessary for these lines and those below. :)

Indeed, both of these are correct. An important sidenote however is that both of these are in Attic (as it was customary for scholarly works to be written in), but the rest of the dialogue as I said before is riddled with Doricisms (mostly in pronunciation).

Basil and Ambiorix videos on showgigas YT channel.

Ambiorix's language sounds kind of French to me. Maybe it's Breton? A bit ahistorical, Bretons are initially Celtic-speaking people that fled from British Isles (hence the name) so their language is not continental Celtic. But at least it's Celtic language.

P.S. I'll try to upload all the sound files and update Wikia with English lines on this weekend.

Last edited:
Ambiorix's language sounds kind of French to me. Maybe it's Breton? A bit ahistorical, Bretons are initially Celtic-speaking people that fled from British Isles (hence the name) so their language is not continental Celtic. But at least it's Celtic language.
I never expected they'd use Breton or Welsh, despite the joke I made about his speaking Welsh like Boudicca, but I have to say I'm impressed with how well they did with the reconstruction (even if the VA has a hefty French accent). If I weren't so busy with my master's I could probably translate some of the lines, but until mid-October I just don't have the time. :( (If it still needs doing then, though, I'd be up for the challenge.)

Thanks! Kudos to Firaxis! :thumbsup:

Somebody should ask him to transcribe it for us. :) I would, but I'm not registered on Twitter.
I'm going to ask that now!

He answered already:
https://twitter.com/Oldfrankishphil/status/1309258212298952705

I was not involved but lots of kudos for the colleague who wrote the lines. Great job! I would have loved to do it though. Gaulish grammar is amazing. I guess it won't be long before a colleague transcribes the reconstructed lines. If not, in time I will do it

ooops, sorry for the double post: can a mod merge it with the one above?

Moderator Action: Done. Browd

Last edited by a moderator:

With the order in the video:

" Ίστατε έμπροσθεν Βασιλείου, Αυτοκράτορος και Δεσπότου των Ρωμαίων, μάστιγος των εχθρών εμών. Ιδού Ρωμανία" = You stand before Basil, Emperor (Autocrat) and Despot of the Romans, scourge of our foes. Behold Rhomania*

"Κονιορτοποιήσω τας πόλεις σου και νεύσω τους εμού συγγραφέας εξηγείσθε το κράτος σου διά το μέλλον" = I shall crush your cities and signal to my writers so that they describe your nation for the future.

"Αξιοίς τίποτα λιγότερο από του πολέμου, αλλά εν τω αύθονω ελέη μου, συντόμως νικήσω πάρα πολύ" = You deserve nothing less than war, but in my abundant mercy, I shall win very swiftly.

"Τα αριστεία σου, αι μεγάλαι νίκαι σου, προέρχονται από του Θεού. Φροντίσης ως ευχαριστής Αυτώ" = Your displays of excellence, your great victories, they come from God. You should make sure to thank Him.

"Σπανίζεις ενότητος, τιμής, ευσεβείας, παντών ως απεργάζονται τον άρχονταν δίκαιον. Ίσως πρέπει με μιμείσαι" = Unity, honour, piety - everything that makes a just ruler - are hard to come by for you. Perhaps you should mimic me (follow me by example).

"Εύνοιαν αφήρη γε μοι ο Θεός, ως χρεί την Ρωμανίαν συμπίπτειν.Οίμοι, οίαν την συμφοράν" = God has withdrawn his favour from me indeed, as He decrees Rhomania to fall. Oimoi**, what a calamity

*Rhomania (Ρωμανία) is the unofficial name for the Byzantine/eastern Roman empire that its inhabitants used throughout its existence (and for centuries thereafter). It is more aptly translated to "land of the Romans" in Greek and also serves as the root for the modern name of Romania (known in the middle ages in old Romanian as "Teara Romaneasca").
**Oimoi (οίμοι) is an ancient Greek exclamation of grief or despair.

The language as expected is ancient Greek with a modern accent, but it seems more like a mix between Attic and Koine.

Top Bottom