1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

According to what lines are already posted on the wiki, they're Indian spices, Chinese silk, African gold and bacalao.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Ah, so he gives you other peoples' stuff. Seems appropriately colonialist.

3. iRule

iRule Warlord

Here I am! Fantastic work by Firaxis by the way, he's using some really archaic Portuguese yet feels very natural (and he's definitely Portuguese, not Brazilian putting up a Portuguese accent - although in Civ V Maria also had a Portuguese VA, so it's nothing new)

The translation in the wiki is pretty meh, so here it is:

(i) By grace of God, we are João, King of Portugal. Thou art welcome.

Pela graça de Deus, nós somos João, Rei de Portugal. Bem vindos sejais

(ii) What have we done that we have so greatly offended thou? So, it is too late to fix this mistake. We regret it, but we are encharged with making war.

Que havemos feito que estejais tão ofendido? Ora, é tarde para corrigir este erro. Lamentamos, mas é mestres fazer a guerra. (wiki says "destas", it's actually "mestras", old Portuguese lingo for "encharged" - itself derived from the title sometimes used for the captain of a ship)

(iii) We have declared war against thou, although we regret doing so. We do not want to endure your presence.

Havemos declarado guerra contra vós. Posto que nós pese fazer esto. Não queremos sofrer a vossa presença.

(iv) Ah, yes. We both know the sweet melancholic smell of the sea.

Ah, sim. Nós ambos conhecemos o doce humor merencório do mar.

(v) How can thou stand firm on your own land and not look further beyond?

Como podes ficar quedo da vossa própria terra e não olhar mais além?

(vi) We were made aware that you are the conqueror of Portugal. Without prejudice, we shall never comply with your victory. Begone!

Fizeram-nos saber que sois o conquistador de Portugal. Sem embargo, nós nunca acataremos a vossa vitória. Ide-vos! (wiki says "desembargo", it's "sem embargo", similar to Spanish - frequently used in Portuguese a long time ago, and still common in legalese Portuguese, for instance).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Thanks!

It's in-game translation, which can differ from actual translation of the lines. I'll add your translation as literal.

I've already filled the Wikia with the transcriptions from this comment under shnowgigas' video, hope I didn't miss anything since I don't know a word in Portuguese or even any Romance language. :)

Zaarin and iRule like this.
  5. iRule

iRule Warlord

Yep, I figured as much, I wasn't dissing you indeed :p

Ah, great! That comment seems to have some Spanish mixed in (although João's Portuguese is a lot closer to Castillan than modern Portuguese is), I think the user himself speaks Spanish. But your version in the Wikia is legit, I think it's already been edited, I guess!

6. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

The replies under the initial comment have corrections which I also considered when adding lines to Wikia.

@iRule, I've added you translations and corrections ("mestras" and "sem embargo") to the Wikia. BTW, you can edit the Wikia even without registering first. ;)

7. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Found out an interesting fact in the comment section of snowgigas' video. Turns out that the voice actor for João is quite famous but is kind of miscredited in the game.
    In the game he is credited as Alberto Novo, and even has a IMDB page crediting his role. But turns out it's only part of his name, his full name is Joaquim Alberto Novo Teodoro and his is better known by his stage name Quimbé (IMDB).
    A page on Fandom in English about him - https://codelyoko.fandom.com/wiki/Quimbé
    In Portuguese - https://wikidobragens.fandom.com/pt/wiki/Quimbé

Don't know what to do with this info, maybe someone who knows Portuguese can write him about it in social media (links on English Fandom page) or @Andrew Johnson [FXS] can do something.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. nunor

nunor King

9. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

There is a blog entry by sound recording studio that did the recording for Philip, describing the process. It's in Spanish, but Google translate does a descent job:
    So I guess they take the voice actor as a base for animation.

Added João dialogue files to Soundcloud.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/joao-iii

The sysop of the Civ6 Wikia already wrote him asking if he is indeed the one who voice João.

And speaking of the voice actor. A user with Portuguese IP edited the wiki saying that the voice actor actually mispronounces some words. For example for this one
    he wrote that "the correct phrase is é mester (a very formal and archaic way to say "it is necessary") and not é mestres."

I guess that the VA, despite being a native speaker just didn't recognize the archaic words and the translator didn't take part in the recording to correct him.

10. Diog

Diog Chieftain

Both mestras and mester sound like they could work, but personally mester was probably the intended one; it's likely the actor understandably mistook it for mestre. Mester/Mister by itself means work/job (think of the french métier).

I'm also with the wiki about the "Posto que nos pese fazer esto" being misspronounced, nós (we) instead of nos (us), but it gets the meaning across.

Red Khan and Hellenism Salesman like this.
  11. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

12. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Hosted by Solas. :D