larger maps and Purity's Promised Land Victory

kipwheeler

Warlord
It seems to me that the more massive map sizes would give Purity an edge for the "Promised Land" Victory. (I.e., it's easier to find space to found new cities in late game if you have more surface area to work with). Two questions:

(1) Does that impression seem correct to other players?
(2) Is there any mechanic in the game to balance that? (i.e., larger maps requiring larger number of Purity refugees hauled in from earth?)

Larger maps also give the other factions more room to go wide and become stronger, so there is that to consider. Not to mention that larger maps also will take longer to pacify and purge of aliens, assuming that is your strategy as Purity. So I'm thinking it will be a wash. Curious what MadDjinn will have to say since I think he's played on Massive maps before.

Other affinities will benefit from larger maps. Harmony can build more mind stems and Supremacy can build more units.

I'd say the opposite, Purity suffers most in smaller maps by the lack of spaces.

If it is an issue, the number of colonists required for a purity victory could change according to map size.

Other affinities will benefit from larger maps. Harmony can build more mind stems and Supremacy can build more units.

I'd say the opposite, Purity suffers most in smaller maps by the lack of spaces.

Well I think the "space per faction" may be constant...except for the largest map.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some adjustment on the total # of emancipation units, # of exodus colonists, or number of transcendence points needed for different map sizes.

the VCs aren't affected by map size. In either way.

You don't need that many locations to settle Purity Colonists, which means that the location of your cities vs the Gate (and therefore locations of the settler cities) is important, but it's also not hard to leave gaps near your cities to place those settlers.

Do you think space will be an issue at all? AFAIK we can stack multiple Earthlings in a single settlement (up to 6 IIRC). That would be 4 tiles...

EDIT: ninja'ed by MD

Do you think space will be an issue at all? AFAIK we can stack multiple Earthlings in a single settlement (up to 6 IIRC). That would be 4 tiles...

EDIT: ninja'ed by MD

I think its 4 "Cities" (ie they can't be within 3 tiles of each other or of a normal city/outpost/station)

That's a very good point. Flipping it to focus on the volume of space Purity needs in the smallest maps is indeed probably more problematic than any advantage Purity gains from big maps.

This actually is similar to a discussion I had with my friend last night. I was saying how on larger map sizes, you could end up with a situation where the Mind Flower, the Supremacy and Purity Warp Gates, and the Contact Transmitter are all in existence at the same time and you have everyone simultaneously attacking each others Victory Building while trying to defend their own, and the endgame turning into an all-out crazy melee.

It could happen on smaller maps too, but a larger map gives more buffer area.

Top Bottom