Latest version crashes every time I try to start a game

MLG Samantha

Chieftain
I really like Ashes of Erebus and I've been playing the release version a lot lately, but I wanted to try out all the features that are in the latest version. After I download it and put the file in my mods folder, it gives me this weird XML error message "LOMOTION_NO_PROMOTION" during loading. The main menu loads fine, but whenever I try to start a game it either crashes while it's initializing, or rarely it will let me play a turn or two before it crashes. I've downloaded it from the source and using the SVN thing, so it's nothing to do with that.

Attachments

• xml.png
    xml.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 86
There is a certain instability with the svn that i haven't been able to fix yet. Do try to run BtS through Admin mode and Win7 compatibility. It usually helps.

That message is new to me though, could you send me the LeaderRelation file so that i can see if it's corrupted in any way. Do check the Pedia too and see if there's any main page that causes errors, it would indicate an issue with some of the files.

I'm running win7, and i usually open it through the launcher since if I try to open it through vanilla Civ4 it resets my settings. I'll try running it as administrator in a while and see if that helps. I've read through the pedia extensively, nothing in it throws any errors. Can you tell me where the Leader Relation file is so I can send it? I can't find it anywhere.

Here's the files. I tried starting it in admin mode a few times, the exact same thing happened. It managed to start one game (as Rivanna) but it crashed on turn 5.

Attachments

• CIV4LeaderRelationInfos.xml
    16.5 KB · Views: 46
  • CIV4LeaderRelationsSchema.xml
    1.3 KB · Views: 78
if it's a more general "the game crashes when loading the map" crash, running the game through win7 compatibility mode and admin mode should improve stability (for unknown reasons at the moment)

at this moment, i haven't figured out what causes that specific error yet, no.

What language do you run the game in ?

English.

if it's a more general "the game crashes when loading the map" crash, running the game through win7 compatibility mode and admin mode should improve stability (for unknown reasons at the moment)

It's the former. So Admin mode?

Update: Updating BTS to its latest patch on Steam, running the AoE launcher as administrator, and using a Custom Game helps as long as I am playing the Archos... And only the Archos.

I'm running win7, and i usually open it through the launcher since if I try to open it through vanilla Civ4 it resets my settings
Does anyone know a fix for that by the way? I have to change between multiple mods for my modeling work and the graphics settings resetting is killing my workflow.

Hello I was having the same problems and here's how to fix all of them. For that first error go to the civ4bts.exe (likely in your steam directory, dont use the shortcut on your desktop), right click, properties, compatibility, run program in win 7 compatibility, and change privilege to always run as administrator. Now start bts using the .exe (I run as administrator again just in case), you'll have to load the mod from the vanilla bts menu which will open up no problem. This means you cant use the launcher the mod comes with. However you can use the launcher to manage your modules and the changes will stick regardless of how you open AoE.

For the save issue you should first make a save file of a game at like turn 1 just when the game started. Next get in the habit of loading saves from the vanilla bts menu. It'll prompt you to restart as AoE which is what you want to do anyway. When you encounter saves not loading or crashing you open up bts.exe and load the turn 1 dummy save. It will load up no problem. From there load the big end game save you're trying to play.

Using these methods, avoiding alt+tabing, and restarting during prolonged gaming seems to help a lot with these bugs and the memory allocation issues.

Thanks but that's so complicated and time consuming that it's really not worth it.

Top Bottom