Lazy foreign workers and other noob questions

scl004

Chieftain
Hi, I'm trying to figure out some basic stuff here. If you can please answer these simple questions from someone new to C3C (but not to Civ3)

1) What's the deal with captured foreign workers? They look different and they don't seem to work as fast as my workers. Is that normal?

2) What is a rally point, and how do I use one?

3) At what point will I be able to trade maps with other civs? I'm playing epic game, I'm up to about 900ad, and I still can't trade maps. I do think this is a much-improved feature, as previously it was way too easy to see the world early on.

4) Can you trade communications with other Civs in C3C? I haven't seen this option.

FYI I bought what I thought was a legit copy of C3C from Amazon, but when I got it it turned out to be the Taiwanese version (in english) marked "not for sale outside of Taiwan." It did not come with an instruction book. Anyway, i'm trying to get my hands on a more legit copy, but in the meantime I don't have any instructions, and I'm flying in the dark a bit. Thanks!

ScL

:mad: SHUT-UP AND READ THE MANUAL!!!

Just joking :D Sorry. Welcome to here. :goodjob:

Foreign workers are 1/2 speed and cost no $1 to keep so just leave them on auto. As for trading communications and what not, you need a certain tech for it but I neither know nor really care which one it is so I don't know. Sorry.

For rally point, left click on cities to set rally point for where new units will go to after being built. VERY useful, especially the continental rally point.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
:mad: SHUT-UP AND READ THE MANUAL!!!

You totally got me on that one. I was already halfway into preparing my comeback post when I scrolled down.... Nice, I needed a laugh today.

For rally points you left click on cities? Doesn't that activate the unit guarding the city? Are you sure it's not right click? Either way, I'll find out when I get home from work, so thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, how would one go about setting a continental rally point?

A follow-up question regarding workers: Is there any way to set them on Auto, but still dictate what they do? I'd like to have all of my foreign workers just do roads and irrigation, and leave my reglar workers to take care of the mining operations. IS there a way to set what the workers do on auto mode?

Thanks again for the help.

ScL

Originally posted by scl004
You totally got me on that one. I was already halfway into preparing my comeback post when I scrolled down.... Nice, I needed a laugh today.

For rally points you left click on cities? Doesn't that activate the unit guarding the city? Are you sure it's not right click? Sorry, yes use right click. My mouse is lefthanded so I forgot it is opposite to most people. Either way, I'll find out when I get home from work, so thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, how would one go about setting a continental rally point? When you rightclick on a city you can see it in the list of options near the bottom. Very easy. I think if you switch type of units being built then you must reset the continental rally point.

A follow-up question regarding workers: Is there any way to set them on Auto, but still dictate what they do? I'd like to have all of my foreign workers just do roads and irrigation, Go to 'Preferences' and set 'show advanced buttons' top right corner and then you will be able to see all the worker buttons on the main screen bottom. It has irrigate only button too. Best button and the one I usually use is 'work without altering' so it doesn't build silly mines everywhere and leaves forest. and leave my reglar workers to take care of the mining operations. IS there a way to set what the workers do on auto mode?

Thanks again for the help. Yes, and will you please shut up with your stupid questions. :D Sorry, I'm just being an idiot again.

ScL

Communication Trading requires Printing Press.
Trading World Maps requires Navigation.

:eek:
In addition to the detailed info above, if the unit maintenance cost is not a factor, I will sometimes trade foreign workers for captured workers of my own with another AI if possible.
This is not something that frequently happens, but it can increase productivity.
Or,
Sometimes I will have them join a city and then produce a worker of my own nationality. Just a couple of things to consider.
Have fun.

Originally posted by Fanatica
:eek:
In addition to the detailed info above, if the unit maintenance cost is not a factor, I will sometimes trade foreign workers for captured workers of my own with another AI if possible.
This is not something that frequently happens, but it can increase productivity.
Or,
Sometimes I will have them join a city and then produce a worker of my own nationality. Just a couple of things to consider.
Have fun.
If you are willing to go to that degree of micromanagement, then theoretically you will be better off using the foreign worker because it doesn't cost you a dollar per turn. Personally I don't really care either way since I make hundreds of gold per turn and have so many slave workers my territory resembles the gulag during Stalin's reign of terror.

What about using foreign workers to build radar towers?

Should be a good alternative. RT have a range of 2 squares and give 25% attack and defense bonus to your units.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot If you are willing to go to that degree of micromanagement, then theoretically you will be better off using the foreign worker because it doesn't cost you a dollar per turn. Personally I don't really care either way since I make hundreds of gold per turn and have so many slave workers my territory resembles the gulag during Stalin's reign of terror.

I usually do go to that level of micromanagement, and there are often times in gameplay where getting roads, fortresses, etc finished in half the time can make a difference. But you're right in that most of the time, it is best to have tons of "free" foreign labor.

Here's an other noob question:

How does regicide work in the epic game? What happens to a civilization after you capture the king? Do they generally hang around in the capital, or do they run around a lot?

Also, what happens when a civilization respawns? Do they just appear as a settler unit? Or are they like barbarians?

So many questions while playing, such a poor memory when posting.

ScL

Regicide works horribly with the AI. It just leaves it's king unit in the capital. When you kill the king unit (you can't capture it), the Civ is eliminated completely.

If a civ respawns, it gets one (maybe two) settlers and looks for some free land.

Originally posted by Calis
What about using foreign workers to build radar towers?

Should be a good alternative. RT have a range of 2 squares and give 25% attack and defense bonus to your units.

At the time when RTs become available, you will have that many workers (own and foreign) that most of your country should be very well developed. Your cities will be at the threshold of size 12 but not all of them will spend the shields for hospitals, so they will continously produce workers (well, they will do so when they reach that threshold).
Under this assumptions it seems to make more sense to use your own workers for the RTs so that you can save the money you will have to pay for them.

Originally posted by JazzToucan
Regicide works horribly with the AI. It just leaves it's king unit in the capital. When you kill the king unit (you can't capture it), the Civ is eliminated completely.

Interesting. What happens to the rest of the cities in that Civ?

ScL

they are all destroyed including the city the king is in, which is destroyed just after you take out the king and before you actually capture the city

Top Bottom