1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lazy foreign workers and other noob questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by scl004, Apr 16, 2004.

1. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Hi, I'm trying to figure out some basic stuff here. If you can please answer these simple questions from someone new to C3C (but not to Civ3)

1) What's the deal with captured foreign workers? They look different and they don't seem to work as fast as my workers. Is that normal?

2) What is a rally point, and how do I use one?

3) At what point will I be able to trade maps with other civs? I'm playing epic game, I'm up to about 900ad, and I still can't trade maps. I do think this is a much-improved feature, as previously it was way too easy to see the world early on.

4) Can you trade communications with other Civs in C3C? I haven't seen this option.

FYI I bought what I thought was a legit copy of C3C from Amazon, but when I got it it turned out to be the Taiwanese version (in english) marked "not for sale outside of Taiwan." It did not come with an instruction book. Anyway, i'm trying to get my hands on a more legit copy, but in the meantime I don't have any instructions, and I'm flying in the dark a bit. Thanks!

ScL

2. unscratchedfoot

unscratchedfoot War is a good thing.

:mad: SHUT-UP AND READ THE MANUAL!!!

Just joking :D Sorry. Welcome to here. :goodjob:

Foreign workers are 1/2 speed and cost no $1 to keep so just leave them on auto. As for trading communications and what not, you need a certain tech for it but I neither know nor really care which one it is so I don't know. Sorry.

For rally point, left click on cities to set rally point for where new units will go to after being built. VERY useful, especially the continental rally point.

3. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

You totally got me on that one. I was already halfway into preparing my comeback post when I scrolled down.... Nice, I needed a laugh today.

For rally points you left click on cities? Doesn't that activate the unit guarding the city? Are you sure it's not right click? Either way, I'll find out when I get home from work, so thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, how would one go about setting a continental rally point?

A follow-up question regarding workers: Is there any way to set them on Auto, but still dictate what they do? I'd like to have all of my foreign workers just do roads and irrigation, and leave my reglar workers to take care of the mining operations. IS there a way to set what the workers do on auto mode?

Thanks again for the help.

ScL

4. unscratchedfoot

5. Gumby78

Gumby78 Franchise Tag

Communication Trading requires Printing Press.
    Trading World Maps requires Navigation.

6. Fanatica

Fanatica Strategic Mapmaker

:eek:
    In addition to the detailed info above, if the unit maintenance cost is not a factor, I will sometimes trade foreign workers for captured workers of my own with another AI if possible.
    This is not something that frequently happens, but it can increase productivity.
    Or,
    Sometimes I will have them join a city and then produce a worker of my own nationality. Just a couple of things to consider.
    Have fun.

7. unscratchedfoot

If you are willing to go to that degree of micromanagement, then theoretically you will be better off using the foreign worker because it doesn't cost you a dollar per turn. Personally I don't really care either way since I make hundreds of gold per turn and have so many slave workers my territory resembles the gulag during Stalin's reign of terror.

8. Calis

Calis on time

What about using foreign workers to build radar towers?

Should be a good alternative. RT have a range of 2 squares and give 25% attack and defense bonus to your units.

9. Fanatica

Fanatica Strategic Mapmaker

I usually do go to that level of micromanagement, and there are often times in gameplay where getting roads, fortresses, etc finished in half the time can make a difference. But you're right in that most of the time, it is best to have tons of "free" foreign labor.

10. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Here's an other noob question:

How does regicide work in the epic game? What happens to a civilization after you capture the king? Do they generally hang around in the capital, or do they run around a lot?

Also, what happens when a civilization respawns? Do they just appear as a settler unit? Or are they like barbarians?

So many questions while playing, such a poor memory when posting.

ScL

11. JazzToucan

JazzToucan Warlord

Regicide works horribly with the AI. It just leaves it's king unit in the capital. When you kill the king unit (you can't capture it), the Civ is eliminated completely.

If a civ respawns, it gets one (maybe two) settlers and looks for some free land.

12. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

At the time when RTs become available, you will have that many workers (own and foreign) that most of your country should be very well developed. Your cities will be at the threshold of size 12 but not all of them will spend the shields for hospitals, so they will continously produce workers (well, they will do so when they reach that threshold).
    Under this assumptions it seems to make more sense to use your own workers for the RTs so that you can save the money you will have to pay for them.

13. scl004

scl004 Chieftain

Interesting. What happens to the rest of the cities in that Civ?

ScL

14. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Anarchy!

they are all destroyed including the city the king is in, which is destroyed just after you take out the king and before you actually capture the city