Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Gustavus Adolphus

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • don´t know/other

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Why not Corolus Rex, Karl XII he was the king of kings,
it's my oppinion, but I agree Karl XII or Gustav II Adolf..:king:

I'd like Oxenstierna as leaderhead, he seem to be an important person according to the books I've read about the 30-year war. He wasn't a king, but pretty much ruled the country a while.

Anothe choice would be Olof Palme.

Kustaa II Adolf. His Finnish name. :p

Nah, Gustav II Adolf.

Gustav II Adolf, of course. No doubts there..

Would you need any help on that Sweden mod, btw?

Originally posted by mrtn
Did no one see that Hakim bumped a thread that's two years old!? :eek:

I'm just like you, I can't read. I'm here for the pretty pictures. :p (A few days ago I was reading that resurrected LoTM thread and your argument with Sir John thinking it was the latest thread. I did notice my mistake, but I was happy to have read it. It was a fun argument.)

:lol:

Was that Sweden mod ever finished?

Oups. No I didn't. It looked like it was new: only a few votes and a few answers...

Originally posted by Drift

I'm just like you, I can't read. I'm here for the pretty pictures. :p (A few days ago I was reading that resurrected LoTM thread and your argument with Sir John thinking it was the latest thread. I did notice my mistake, but I was happy to have read it. It was a fun argument.)
Oh, I've never argued with Sir John, have I? :lol:
Did I win?

Oh, I've never argued with Sir John, have I? :lol:
Did I win?

I think you did, it was about resources. This comment especially kinda cracked me up:

BTW I don't know what Kingsfoil is. Or lotr. I can't even read, I just follow this thread to look on the funny pictures.

Gustav II Adolf?! What kind of name is that? It makes me want to vomit seeing that the Roman numeral is before his last name..

Either Gustavus Adolphus, Gustav II, or Gustav Adolf II.. not II in the middle.. bleh!

Napoleon II Bonaparte (Napoleon Bonaparte II)
Nikolai II Romanov (Czar Nicholas II)
George Frederick V Ernest Albert (King George V)

That kind of stuff annoys me.. heh. :eek:

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
Voted Gustavus Adolphus, because that's what he usually gets called in English.

Yes, I think that the poll should have mentioned that 'Gustavus Adolphus' is also his English name.

If the name 'Gustav Adolf' is used, it creates a language barrier: people who go to research 'Gustav Adolf' in English will have a difficult time finding anything. I say use 'Gustavus Adolphus' for the English version of the game, and 'Gustav II Adolf' for the Swedish version. ;)

Originally posted by Mobilize
Gustav II Adolf?! What kind of name is that? It makes me want to vomit seeing that the Roman numeral is before his last name..

Either Gustavus Adolphus, Gustav II, or Gustav Adolf II.. not II in the middle.. bleh!

Napoleon II Bonaparte (Napoleon Bonaparte II)
Nikolai II Romanov (Czar Nicholas II)
George Frederick V Ernest Albert (King George V)

That kind of stuff annoys me.. heh. :eek:

Actually, 'Gustav II Adolf' is the correct English syntax (though, as I previously stated, not the correct English name). When two or more monarchs have the same first name and different family names, they are distinguished by family names after the Roman numeral, not before.

That would be true, if "Adolf" were a family name. In fact, it's just a second given name, and in accordance with Swedish tradition, only the first given name counts wrt to numbering. His family name was Wasa (modulo variant spellings). The current Swedish king is Carl XIV Gustav, whose family name is Bernadotte.

The Italians do it differently - Vittorio Emanuelle II, for instance.

Edit: For Mobilize benefit, I might mention that "Gustav Adolf II" would have been totally nonesensical, since he was the first king with the name Gustav Adolf. The numeral recognizes his grandfather Gustav I, who, for no particularly good reason, is however usually known as Gustav Wasa, ie with the family name included. To mess up things really toroughly, when refering to before his ascension, he is also frequently known as Gustav Eriksson, ie with a patronymicon.

Back to Gustavus Adolphus, I might also mention that according to a 17th C decree by the Diet, which no-one has taken the trouble to revoke, he should in all official contexts be refered to as Gustav Adolf the Great. No-one's paid any much heed to this, however.

Top Bottom