Leader personality traits

zhivik

Chieftain
Coming upon a discussion about the (now notorious) Flirtatious and Curmudgeon hidden agendas, I have a proposal how to resolve the issues around them. My idea is to introduce leader personality traits, which could be random, though some leaders could be more predisposed to some traits than others. The goal is to leave the current agenda system intact, but remove any agendas that cannot be exploited, like the two above. Unlike the agendas, traits would work only in one direction, so a Flirtatious leader would be friendlier to leaders from the other sex, but nothing else. You could have any traits, for instance Diplomatic (that leader would be more likely to enter alliances) or Mercantile (more likely to agree to a deal if money is involved). You could even throw in traits like Peaceful or Warmonger, though I don't believe we need more of the latter, given how AI leaders still seem to be erratically warlike.

I believe this can give more depth to the diplomatic part of the game and create some interesting combinations with agendas. It can also expand the significance of diplomatic visibility and use its current three levels. Thus, at level 1 you could see why a leader likes or dislikes you, at level 2 you could see what personal traits are there and level 3 - the hidden agenda.

There are probably a lot of reasons why this won't work, but I've seen similar systems in other games, like Paradox's grand strategy ones, and they seem to be working just fine.

Top Bottom