Leader Selection Method

If it's a single civ game, which appears likely, every team should be able to get the leader they want, regardless of whether they're duplicates. Allowing civs to change leader if there's a duplicate is giving one team the ability to counter the other team's civ choice.

If it's a single civ game, which appears likely, every team should be able to get the leader they want, regardless of whether they're duplicates. Allowing civs to change leader if there's a duplicate is giving one team the ability to counter the other team's civ choice.
But the idea is they can't counter the other team's civ choice, because they only have two options. Either stick with their original leader (say, Tokugawa) or switch to the next leader on their pre-written list who isn't a duplicate (say, Brennus). Those are the only two options that team has. So choosing a civ deliberately to counter another civ won't come into it, because they can't re-pick their alternative civ after they know what one other team has. ;)

I guess, although there are not that many leaders that can specifically counter other leaders, and it totally relies on you starting close to them. Still, I agree that maybe it could be sensible to just give everyone their first choice. Who knows, we may even end up with all different civs by chance anyway. :)

But the idea is they can't counter the other team's civ choice, because they only have two options. Either stick with their original leader (say, Tokugawa) or switch to the next leader on their pre-written list who isn't a duplicate (say, Brennus). Those are the only two options that team has. So choosing a civ deliberately to counter another civ won't come into it, because they can't re-pick their alternative civ after they know what one other team has. ;)

Teams will choose as their second choice whatever civ they would want to be versus their first choice.

Example: A team's first choice is Mongolia. They should make their second choice a civ that is good against Mongolia, so that if someone else picks Mongolia they automatically have a good counter to it. If this method is used either a team will get who they want or will have a counter to another team. I don't think this seems quite fair.

But the idea is they can't counter the other team's civ choice, because they only have two options.

I guess, although there are not that many leaders that can specifically counter other leaders, and it totally relies on you starting close to them.

The second point seems to undermine the first.

Cross-posting is fun.

The second point seems to undermine the first.
I know, because Azz pointed out that my logic in the first point was not correct, hence I accepted that and changed my stance. ;)

Azza's counter-civ idea could be eliminated just by ensuring that the 2 teams involved don't start next to each other.

I like Parkins' original method, keep it simple... of course if we use dbl civ, then this discussion has to happen all over again.

Azza's counter-civ idea could be eliminated just by ensuring that the 2 teams involved don't start next to each other.

I like Parkins' original method, keep it simple... of course if we use dbl civ, then this discussion has to happen all over again.

Being assured of not starting next to someone is not a good idea. Positions have to be random.

Being assured of not starting next to someone is not a good idea. Positions have to be random.
I'd agree with this. The map should be made with certain "start points" roughly evenly distributed around the map, but the allocation of these "start points" to teams should be completely random. No start should be made with a specific team in mind; any team should have a chance of starting at any start.

I'd agree with this. The map should be made with certain "start points" roughly evenly distributed around the map, but the allocation of these "start points" to teams should be completely random. No start should be made with a specific team in mind; any team should have a chance of starting at any start.

Yes but those stating points need to have roughly equal distance from each other. If 2teams start 8 tiles apart while others have 16 tiles distance, it will be more difficult for those 2 teams.

Yes but those stating points need to have roughly equal distance from each other. If 2teams start 8 tiles apart while others have 16 tiles distance, it will be more difficult for those 2 teams.
Indeed, that's why I said "roughly evenly distributed around the map". ;)

Top Bottom