Leaderhead creation

Could someone do 3 vikings, 3 Anglosaxons, a couple of Irish and Gaelics as well as some French and Germans... :)... Just a few.

Have started on a Viking. Trying to do Seywn Forkbeard, though there is a lot of improvisation. So yeh! Still very early and much to do yet. Will see how modding turns out.

Have started on a Viking. Trying to do Seywn Forkbeard, though there is a lot of improvisation. So yeh! Still very early and much to do yet. Will see how modding turns out.
*snip*

Jeez, this is really really good! I might actually have to make a King Sweyn civ now ;)

It all seems like repeating civ 5 over and over with a one exception. Quite surprised nobody has yet just posted civ 5 leaders with some new background, Oda wouldn't need much additional work, some lighting and done. Quite afraid that civ6 will be flood by civ5 artstyle anyway, one way or another. People are sentimental and lazy.

This one exception is obviously play doh style presented by sukritact and AlexByrde. It had my curiousity and earned my attention. Civ6 style actually supports beginners, forgives imperfections and gives a lot of space. I think it would be worthy to support such a pearl, a refreshment in styles, before it is gonna be outshined by all those hd boring stuff. Well, I obviously do not state those HD/civ5 like art is bad, it just bores me artistically.

Anyway I have never made anything 3D related, but decided that play doh style might be a good start. I hope it encourages others as well. Since I am not graphic maker, anyone can do it. Though I have an artistic soul... dunno if it matters. Traditionally started with google, I have found two programs, Blender and Sculptris (both free), decided to go with second one (more friendly interface) and boom made first 3d sphere.
What I planned to do is make 3d model, texture it and use it for nice 2D pose.
Spoiler :

You will find plenty of tutorials if you need ones. From me, the most important tool is Grab (you can turn it global/local!), remember about turning details on/off. You can add new objects freely. That's pretty it.
Unfortunately, this program is far from perfect, I felt lack of some controls, like locking selection, moving objects with certain numbers (aka -500Y instead grabbing with mouse). It had also crashed several times, but it is saving progress before it, which is nice.

But it was just a warm-up. Once you realise that play doh is obedient to your will, you can start working on proper stuff. Hint, look at civ 6 leaderscenes before! I made legs, which was unnecessary.
Spoiler :

Another hint is not detail it too much. Unfortunately, it is something you will have to figure yourself, depends on your taste.
As you see the model is symmetric, I think it is good to start with symmetric stuff and then turn it off for details. Now, from theory I had to texturize this model, anyway google, tutorial 1 (which lead to more basic tutorial 2, which lead to basic terms dictionary). So I had to do something with mesh faces? Some 2D map. My tutorial were using maybe 100 triangle model, yaa. At this point it started looking like boring graphic making instead art fun.
I decided to make a nice pose in Sculptris and then finish it in photoshop (you can use any graphical program, texturing/colouring/layers ~ If you are not familiar with it, there must be some tutorials). Now, the problem with Sculptris is that it is making low resolution images (1500x700). You can either use some other program for that (I read there are ones making 4k stuff) or screenshot it into photoshop manually. (The background is not transparent, so I was making two screenshots with different background and then difference them in Photoshop).

When making a pose, mask and rotate are most useful. Fingers were most hard thing to do, I think making them at this phase (instead symmetric one) could be a good idea.
Spoiler :

Those are images saved by Sculptris before I found out its resolution is unsatisfying for me. You can also see that I made many screenshots of different "objects" so I had a layer in photoshop for every one (obviously some objects were overlapping, being partially ahead and behind of other one, that needed to be cut manually).

Texturing in photoshop allows you to add some extra details and finish touch. I think after texturing it in 3D, I would probably make some final changes in photoshop anyway. That's it, you made your first play doh model and realised how silly/meh it looks. It doesn't matter though, you are hella proud of your play doh mayestic creation, you can no longer look at filthy hd stuff and pledge your alliegance to play doh realm. You consider Wallace and Gromit more proper english leader models than civ5 Elizabeth. You are aware that with every play doh model your skills may increase and who knows, you may decide to do another one. What is more important you had great fun doing it. Welcome to Play Doh side of force.
Spoiler :

To be fair, I can't clearly say how long it took, I was experimenting too much. Do it for fun, not for time efficient effects. I hope I encouraged some of lazy kids here to try something new. Have fun.

Spoiler :

That looks awesome; the detail on the face is unbelievable!

Sweyn is a very cool choice. Cnut would be great as well; as ruler of England, Denmark, Norway, and parts of what is now Sweden, as well as having Scotland, Wales, and large regions of Ireland (including Dublin) as vassals, he in effect had a monopoly over the North Sea, the Irish sea and the Baltic sea. One of the most powerful men of his time, and his dominance over coastal nations makes him a very fitting leader for Denmark, as they usually have a bonuses which augment their naval power in Civ games (e.g. additional movement for embarked units in Civ V).

To be fair, I can't clearly say how long it took, I was experimenting too much. Do it for fun, not for time efficient effects. I hope I encouraged some of lazy kids here to try something new. Have fun.

For some reason, several of the pictures you have posted are not showing. What is there looks very nice though. By the way, is that Bohdan Khmelnytsky?

edit: Never mind, pictures are showing for me now

Had a play on Sculptris. As someone with literally no idea what they are doing, I think I may need to find some human base to work from though, because this demonic mess wasn't exactly what I was going for originally:
Spoiler :

Tutorials probably a good idea too.

So much talent coming from this thread in general! Makes me want to learn whatever new coding system all the sooner ;)

2sexy4civ

My leaderheads are all static ones.

Right, I thought that would be, seeing as your Civ 5 ones were.

I like the changes you have made compared to your original, but why is Gladys now closer to the camera compared to this picture?

This place is very quiet. I feel that likely has something to do with the lack of a link to the creation and customisation page on the Civ fanatics top bar; why is there no link there?

Had a play on Sculptris. As someone with literally no idea what they are doing, I think I may need to find some human base to work from though, because this demonic mess wasn't exactly what I was going for originally:
Spoiler :

Tutorials probably a good idea too.
Ctrl-Z works (up to 10 times?), so you can go back each time you mess up something.
W turns on/off triangles, it is important to have a proper number (you have to use Q, which turns detail on/off).
When you are using symmetry, do not "cross" symmetry line.
Delicate moves.

Anyway, first play doh is done. Congratulations. He can lead germons.

Lets play "Guess the figure"!

Spoiler :

It's a work in progress, obviously, and I'm still figuring a lot of stuff out. I'm scared to start on the clothes, and I'm not sure how to paint individual parts. That might be something I do with another program, if I can't figure it out.

EDIT: I wanna delete this after seeing the Sweyn! That thing is amazing!

Bună ziua, Vlad Țepeș!

Bună ziua, Vlad Țepeș!

You guessed it! Which means, I've done something slightly right! :D

EDIT: I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make torsos, legs, or arms. Or hands. Only heads.

Ctrl-Z works (up to 10 times?), so you can go back each time you mess up something.
W turns on/off triangles, it is important to have a proper number (you have to use Q, which turns detail on/off).
When you are using symmetry, do not "cross" symmetry line.
Delicate moves.

Anyway, first play doh is done. Congratulations. He can lead germons.

Thanks for the advice; it is certainly not hard to see why I was struggling so much when I did not even know how to undo mistakes! Seeing as I am still experimenting, I forsee that Ctrl-Z will have frequent use. I will definitely have another go.

Mein Gott! These are so awesome! Ya'll are super talented. :goodjob: I'm pumped to play them. It sucked that it was so hard to make leader heads, or even (to a far lesser extent) units in CiV. I made a few units in IV but never V. I think I will again in VI.

You guessed it! Which means, I've done something slightly right! :D

EDIT: I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make torsos, legs, or arms. Or hands. Only heads.

Well, I very much hope you keep at it, because that head looks good, and if it's 'big personalities' we want, then Vlad is a must!

Well, I very much hope you keep at it, because that head looks good, and if it's 'big personalities' we want, then Vlad is a must!

I'm gonna keep trying. I may stop work on Vlad for awhile, though, as I've also no real design for a Romanian/Wallachian civ yet.

Plus there's probably some ideas I've had that have less detail oriented outfits.

Here's my second attempt at a leaderhead (which took me forever...): it's easier to guess than the last one...

Spoiler :

Top Bottom