Leaderscreen Elimination Thread

Out of curiosity, what's peoples voting strategies?

Do you vote for your one or two favorites to keep them alive as long as possible? Or do you vote for the screens that are leading to make sure the one you dislike least ends up higher than the one you dislike most?

Example: I like Askia and Shaka a fair bit, but I'm wondering if I should start voting for Pacal so that he beats Ashurbanipal (since I'm not a fan of Ash).

I'm voting up my favorites, and down voting who I don't like(all screens are good, so I'm going for personal taste and significance of civs and leaders)

May or may not vote down Ashurbanipal

#AshOut

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 13
Dido - 6-3=3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 17+1=18
Pacal - 18
Askia - 15
Enrico Dandolo - 20
Shaka - 13

Gaja's background has to be one of the best in the game, when you first meet him you get a glimpse of an expansive jungle with a Candi in the corner, along with the mist it makes you feel like you are meeting a truly beautiful, mystical empire.

On the other hand, Didos screen is lacking anything that makes the leader screen unique, its not that bad but the other ones left are far more interesting.

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 15
Pacal - 18
Askia - 15
Enrico Dandolo - 20
Shaka - 13

THEODORA
Theodora is in power, and she knows it. You walk enter her room while she lays spread on a couch, and what happens? Were it any other leader, they would hurry up and shower you with formalities. But Theodora doesn't bother with that. She knows who you are, and she knows who she is.

She rests upon the balcony overlooking her empire's capitol, with the Hagia Sophia in the background. Two wonders in one screen. Truly, a great leaderscreen.

GAJAH MADA
Maria may be gone, but that doesn't make this mess any better.

Some people may say that it's different form other random field leader, and it is, but only slightly. The only real separation it has from the other ones is that it has a building in the corner of the background, obscured by trees and fog. Other than that, it's just him standing shirtless in a foggy, gloomy field with some trees in the background. He's Napoleon without the horse.

Whether or not the field is supposed to grow rice really doesn't make a difference, it still looks like nothing more than an empty field. It truly is the last 'not good' leaderscreen left, and until it goes, I'll be painting it red in all of my posts.

Out of curiosity, what's peoples voting strategies?

Do you vote for your one or two favorites to keep them alive as long as possible? Or do you vote for the screens that are leading to make sure the one you dislike least ends up higher than the one you dislike most?

Example: I like Askia and Shaka a fair bit, but I'm wondering if I should start voting for Pacal so that he beats Ashurbanipal (since I'm not a fan of Ash).

I've always up-voted for the ones (Well, one) that I knew to be the best. I always down-voted for the ones which were the worst of their current lot. I plan on continuing this tradition, despite the loss of Portugal. :(

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 12
Pacal - 18
Askia - 15
Enrico Dandolo - 21

Shaka - 13

-3 to Gajah Mada. Is he cosplaying Shrek on that swamp of his or something? Who's Fiona then, Maria Theresa? Has somebody ever told him the world was gonna roll him?
Either way, I don't like this screen much. It isn't very bad, it's just the worst of the bunch.

+1 to Enrico Dandolo. He ain't cosplaying no one, he's just a Doge in his beautiful city at night. Looks cool. His voiceacting is awesome and he puts just the right ammount of deviousness and warmth into his words. Everything seems to be done correctly in this leaderscreen. I also love the "ah rape yoo" in his declaration of war.

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 12
Pacal - 18
Askia - 16
Enrico Dandolo - 18
Shaka - 13

Askia Like I said before he has very unique background.
Enrico Dandolo Don't know why but he looks very sneaky.

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 13
Pacal - 18
Askia - 16
Enrico Dandolo - 18
Shaka - 10

Good god this poll is rediculous, at least in the best Civ thread there where some basic factors we all could take into account, although even then you had weirdo's voting solely for the funfactor.
But here, "I only like outside scenes." or "He has weird movements." (Dandolo is blind for gods sake), truly we're just entering the territory of random choices, and the only thing that will triumph is who's best at spamming votes.
I mean christ, noone even gives a damn if screens where based on world renowned paintings, the only reason Theodora is probably still in here is cleavage.

Gaja radiates leadership, nice historical rice padi's, magical myst, nice color composition, very Fantasia.

Shaka, intimidating, don't make me laugh, the skulls might be intimidating like Monty's if they where humans, but the only thing it shows is that he's capable of killing cows and elephants, good job Shaka, you're about as intimidating as a caveman (something he wasn't very far off from technology wise anyway).

So my downvote goes to William. An indoor scene with no view of the environs of Netherlands. Good but not great animation and voicing.

Honestly, this just shows you have no idea what the netherlands look like, much like northern germany it's extremely flat boring grassland, putting him there would have just been a complete waste.
But whatever, just wish you'd reconsider your stance of letting nature constantly be your deciding factor.

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 3
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 13
Pacal - 18
Askia - 16 + 1 = 17
Enrico Dandolo - 18
Shaka - 10 - 3 = 7

Askia: His screen is fascinating, and Askia himself gives off two very good vibes when you speak to him. When he's happy/Neutral, he has a kind, welcoming pose, and is always ears to listen to what you have to say. The burning city behind him could previously have been his after he threw the previous puppeteer out. When he's angry, he shows that the burning city is what your empire will turn out to become if you don't yield anytime soon.

Shaka: Your precious loincloth won't save you now, Shaka! What did thos eelephants ever do to you?

Good god this poll is rediculous...

Gaja...magical myst, ..., very Fantasia.

Shaka, intimidating, don't make me laugh,

You complain about this game being ridiculous because its based purely on people's opinions, yet take part in it with your own.

I mean christ, noone even gives a damn if screens where based on world renowned paintings, the only reason Theodora is probably still in here is cleavage.

You must have missed my last post on page 23.

My votes:

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 4
Harald Bluetooth - 20
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 10
Pacal - 18
Askia - 17
Enrico Dandolo - 18
Shaka - 7

+1 Dido. Every time I see the leader screen, I wish Hannibal was the leader instead. Saying that though, Dido has my second favorite night themed screen (after Al-Mansur). While there is a lot of the same color contrast in the image, it doesn't lack depth (which I downvoted Dandolo for)

-3 Gajah: It looks like he's standing at the lake near the pump house in the movie IT. (Anyone know the scene I'm referencing?). Also, he looks like a Star Trek fan wearing fake Spoc ears. EDIT: ...nothing about the screen itself is particularly interesting to me compared to the remaining leaders. Much like how Nappy was just in a field and Haiwatha was just in the wood, Gajah is just in a rice field (swamp).

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 4-3=1
Harald Bluetooth - 20+1=21
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 10
Pacal - 18
Askia - 17
Enrico Dandolo - 18
Shaka - 7

harold bluetooth leaderscreen is epic. the music,his voice,the fact hes on a longboat,pretty much everything. he is like a real viking :viking: except for the fact i never see really him plunder and rape anyone besides polynesia :/

NO DIDO!!! DIDO DIE IN FIRE :devil:

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 14
Dido - 1
Harald Bluetooth - 21
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 11
Pacal - 18
Askia - 17
Enrico Dandolo - 15
Shaka - 7

Gajah has the coolest music of the remaining ones, and I like that they're willing to show the more portly gentleman on one of these screens. Would totally take even that Assyrian fellow in a sumo wrestle. (NB took the score off Monado as sha3ba seemed to remove 3 without downvoting. Also corrected Dido.)
Enrico is a douche, and Venice is my least favourite Italian city. I also generally dislike everything the civ stands for in general.

Just saying, Hannibal wouldn't make sense as a Carthage leader. He was a general, not a political leader. In fact, he was generally in opposition with the political forces ruling over Carthage. Kind of like Carthage's equivalent of Cato (as in, he was obsessed with destroying the Romans).

It's as if you said Julius should be the leader rather than Augustus. Although Julius was much more of a political leader than Hannibal.

Just saying, Hannibal wouldn't make sense as a Carthage leader. He was a general, not a political leader. In fact, he was generally in opposition with the political forces ruling over Carthage. Kind of like Carthage's equivalent of Cato (as in, he was obsessed with destroying the Romans).

That doesn't really matter. 1. It's a game. 2. We have had Hannibal in III, and IV.

After a decade fighting him, I'm still adjusting to Dido in this iteration. Anyways...back on topic...

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 11- Does not look nice at all. REally boring. Should have been gone a long time ago.
Dido - 1
Harald Bluetooth - 21
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 11
Pacal - 18
Askia - 18- Not welcoming, but an awesome vanilla screen.
Enrico Dandolo - 15
Shaka - 7

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 11
Dido - 0
Harald Bluetooth - 21
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 12
Pacal - 18
Askia - 18
Enrico Dandolo - 15
Shaka - 7

IMHO Dido didnt belong in a top 10, its average, with bad lighting, color scheme, and theatrical acting, not to mention she took Hannibal's place.

Im still sticking up for Gajah, I dont think caricaturizing him as Shrek on a swamp is much of a reason to be honest, under that logic we could make fun of every other leader and call that a reason. This scene has very well done ambience, color scheme, composition and one of the cooler looking leaders, he certainly deserves to be on the list longer.

That doesn't really matter. 1. It's a game. 2. We have had Hannibal in III, and IV.

After a decade fighting him, I'm still adjusting to Dido in this iteration. Anyways...back on topic...

I see, I thought you meant Hannibal should be Carthage's leader, not that you were just used to him.

Honestly, this just shows you have no idea what the netherlands look like, much like northern germany it's extremely flat boring grassland, putting him there would have just been a complete waste.
But whatever, just wish you'd reconsider your stance of letting nature constantly be your deciding factor.

You make a good point about flat grasslands, but what about the stereotypical windmills and tulips? And I don't need nature - it could be a view of the city, a significant landmark, the dikes - just something that evokes Netherlands. An office doesn't do it for me. And that's true of all the office scenes. The only one I like is actually Pedro because we get a view out his windows.

Like maybe this:

or this:

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 8 I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not impressed with Theodora's couch potato diplomacy. I appreciate what Firaxis tried to do with this screen, but I think they poured the "spoiled courtesan" routine on a little too thick.
Harald Bluetooth - 21
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 12
Pacal - 18
Askia - 18
Enrico Dandolo - 15
Shaka - 8 Now we're downvoting leaders based on the technology level of their civilization? By that logic, Pedro and Haile should be out in front. This screen does exactly what it's supposed to do, and does so far more effectively than, say, Theodora's.

Ashurbanipal - 16
Theodora - 8
Harald Bluetooth - 21-3=18 How is he on the lead while Shaka is getting punched off the ring?
Pachacuti - 19
Gajah Mada - 12+1=13 Stay a little longer. I find this one best in BNW.
Pacal - 18
Askia - 18
Enrico Dandolo - 15
Shaka - 8

:cry:

Dido, you had me since we met for the first time in 2012, when I was greeted in your fine purple dress, where lighthouses form constellations and sailors of the Mediterranean prosper. I have previously followed and supported you in the Beauty Contest thread months ago, voted you up here and I find it hard to accept this fate!

Top Bottom