• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Learning from the past: SDK modding as a way to improve game

I have played Civ4 for a very long time, and loved it.
One of Civ4 merits is to have opened SDK code and modding for a long time, allowing people to experiment and test improvements and corrections to the base game.
Some of the results of this modding phase made their way to the official Beyond The Sword expansion.
The most important of them is a great improvement to the AI, expecially when trying to win a Cultural Victory. C4BTS AI is very good, probably the best AI of the entire Civ series. And this, thanks to the help of many many players.

Giving the current state of Civ6 for the AI and for the game in general, I think this would be a great way to obtain a final version of a quite stable and balanced game.

I hope Firaxis is going to allow modding of the SDK very soon.

I feel like the civ5 SDK got released when they knew internally when the DLCs would stop, and I fear the SDK for cov 6 isnt going to get released until they are ready to stop producing DLCs

An ideal world would be one where the moddable aspects of the game render the necessity of an SDK to touch core components obsolete.

That said, I'd recommend modding what you can first, before asking to be given the keys to the kingdom in the hopes you can solve all the perceived problems in the game. As others have said, even if the developers want to give you these tools, that's not where the final approval comes from.

Indeed. Of allbthe influences from Paradox studios thay has crept over into civ6 (which is a good thing IMO) - I wish they adopted the way paradox is able to keep pumping out DLCs and keep the game open for some really major mods.

Top Bottom