Leonardos workshop question

Bears_guy

Chieftain
when i built it my units didnt upgrade, i this because they werent in the city when it was finished? i had archers and i think catapults but they didnt change at all. can someone explain it better?

If you do not have cannon/artillery technology your catapults are upgraded to catapults.

i.e. You must have something better for them to turn into.
Archers will upgrade to pikemen/riflemen/modern infantry but only if you have one of those technologies.

I always save Leonardo's until I have artillery/tanks/modern infantry.

It makes no difference if they are in a town or not.

aye make sure you have the techs needed to upgrade your units, they will all be updated to your highest tech not simply to their next level

techs techs

I found that archers tend not to upgrade into Rifleman unless you could build pikemen as well. So if you get Leonardos Workshop after Gunpowder but before Democracy they won't upgrade. Not sure if this happens with other strands of units.

I tried some game will upgrade, some does not.
Both the rifleman has up, but it does not work.
Need more Bro. input badly......

I've had the same thing happening to me too, although I had metallurgy and gunpowder. I think it's a rare bug, mate...

This is what I found about Leonardo's Workshop.

1. The upgrade takes place only ONE time, right after you build it.

2. You MUST have the pre-requisite tech for the next tier unit in which to upgrade your old units to.

3. The upgrade is only one tier up. This means that even if you just built the Leonardo's Workshop and possess Gunpowder, your archers will upgrade to only pikemen if you also have Democracy. Same thing for the warriors only upgrading to legions and not to tanks as I hoped.

4. Lot of times it is useful to build it, not for yourself, but just to deny the AI of the upgrade possibility.

3. The upgrade is only one tier up. This means that even if you just built the Leonardo's Workshop and possess Gunpowder, your archers will upgrade to only pikemen if you also have Democracy. Same thing for the warriors only upgrading to legions and not to tanks as I hoped.

Thats not what I found. If you have the tech to do the full chain of units (eg Archer to Pikeman to Rifleman to...) they fully upgrade to the latest. I've had my opening warriors upgrade to tanks with the workshop and catapults to Artillery, and this is on deity.

Thats not what I found. If you have the tech to do the full chain of units (eg Archer to Pikeman to Rifleman to...) they fully upgrade to the latest. I've had my opening warriors upgrade to tanks with the workshop and catapults to Artillery, and this is on deity.

On deity I had mine go straight from Archer to Modern Infantry one game.

Really? Then either my game is buggy or there is something wrong with my attention to detail or I am doing something wrong. Most likely, it is the combination of the last two possibilities, so I will go ahead and check again. Thanks for this information, and I hope what you are saying is true because I would rather admit to my subpar gameplay than to have a buggy game! :)

Earlier today I had completed gunpowder research, and had started pumping out riflemen.

A couple of turns later, I completed Leonardo's Workshop, and none of my archers were upgraded to riflemen. This may have been because I had not researched Democracy (for pikemen). My warriors, however, had been upgraded to knights.

For the ultimate in fun, try to locate the lost city of Atlantis, without actually triggering it. Then right before the LW is complete, discover Atlantis.

Cruiser, I'm not sure what more input you need. Finish LW and whatever units have upgrade paths open get upgraded. Hodory is definitely wrong in that they only jump 1 upgrade, especially because all my ships end up as cruisers/battleships.

I just can't believe how incredibly powerful this one wonder is. The moment I complete it I immediately go on the offensive with my new army of uber units.

You need the full chain of upgrades for it to work, otherwise units will remain unupgraded.

However come to think of it, there was one time where I had a sole catapult when I had cannons everywhere else, I had long ago finished metallurgy so it was a bit odd, maybe there is an issue here.

However come to think of it, there was one time where I had a sole catapult when I had cannons everywhere else, I had long ago finished metallurgy so it was a bit odd, maybe there is an issue here.

If you get a unit after you have built LW they won't upgrade. i.e. Upgrade everything to modern infantry/tanks/artillery/cruisers with LW. Find a barbarian village that gives you a catapult. It will not become an artillery. Not sure if that is what happened to you but just a thought.

For the ultimate in fun, try to locate the lost city of Atlantis, without actually triggering it. Then right before the LW is complete, discover Atlantis.

Cruiser, I'm not sure what more input you need. Finish LW and whatever units have upgrade paths open get upgraded. Hodory is definitely wrong in that they only jump 1 upgrade, especially because all my ships end up as cruisers/battleships.

I just can't believe how incredibly powerful this one wonder is. The moment I complete it I immediately go on the offensive with my new army of uber units.

I mean why/when it does not upgrade all unit.

You need the full chain of upgrades for it to work, otherwise units will remain unupgraded.

Thank you. you mean if get democracy to use LW to upgrade archer to rifleman is 100% work ?

Same for me. All my archers upgraded to Riflemen last night, which was a great bonus to my city defenses.

This is one of my favorite wonders that I try to get every game.

Top Bottom