Leoreth Plays Russia

Leoreth

Blue Period
Excited to see the "Leoreth plays Russia" thread
Not much to report for the time being. I think there are some issues with Russia's starting techs and units (I definitely think AI Russia is doing poorly right now as well), but I don't want to say much yet. Much of Russia's UHV is backloaded, so it's not really possible to judge how well it's going yet.

I don't think the barbarian spawns are that much trouble, they can be easily countered by Skirmish promoted Horse Archers, but I haven't encountered the Mongols yet.

Russia is definitely a case that would benefit a lot from the new map due to the new terrain types, which do a much better job at portraying the region correctly. I also think it would be a lot more interesting to have a Kievan state followed by a Muscovite state as different playable civilisations. It's strange that you don't have anything to do except building up your civilisation for the first couple of centuries.

I also started a Russia game recently. My strategy is early worker spam before the Mongols arrive. If you are lucky enough I think you can just not get found at all by the Mongols because the Mongols only arrive when you meet them.

I'm also finding it harder than I remembered to deal with the Kazakh and Uzbek Keshiks in the 15th and 16th century after the Mongols have gone.

Kievan state followed by a Muscovite state as different playable civilisations.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea but also a Novgorod state?

Novgorod is part of the Kievan Rus'.

I also started a Russia game recently. My strategy is early worker spam before the Mongols arrive. If you are lucky enough I think you can just not get found at all by the Mongols because the Mongols only arrive when you meet them.

I'm also finding it harder than I remembered to deal with the Kazakh and Uzbek Keshiks in the 15th and 16th century after the Mongols have gone.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but also a Novgorod state?
Well...
Agree with
@Leoreth
Pskov-Chernigov-Murom-Novgorod was part of United Rus and Kiev(Kyiv) was its' political and perhaps cultural center before Rising of Moscow's State in the end of 1400's

Not much to report for the time being. I think there are some issues with Russia's starting techs and units (I definitely think AI Russia is doing poorly right now as well), but I don't want to say much yet. Much of Russia's UHV is backloaded, so it's not really possible to judge how well it's going yet.

I don't think the barbarian spawns are that much trouble, they can be easily countered by Skirmish promoted Horse Archers, but I haven't encountered the Mongols yet.

Russia is definitely a case that would benefit a lot from the new map due to the new terrain types, which do a much better job at portraying the region correctly. I also think it would be a lot more interesting to have a Kievan state followed by a Muscovite state as different playable civilisations. It's strange that you don't have anything to do except building up your civilisation for the first couple of centuries.
If I'am not mistaken there is already Kievan Rus by mod-mod with extra-civs
This civ can "return" as Ukraine :p

The Mongols will soon come and crush you, if it had not been for the poor AI.

The Mongols will soon come and crush you, if it had not been for the poor AI.
My standard setup against Mongol invasion, when playing as Russians, is 4 walled cities with 4 crossbows promoted to city defence, in each one. I start training crossbows once got Machinery and i usually complete my army just in time, about 1250AD.
Then i send a horse to Samarkand to meet Mongols and provoke their invasion.

My standard setup against Mongol invasion, when playing as Russians, is 4 walled cities with 4 crossbows promoted to city defence, in each one. I start training crossbows once got Machinery and i usually complete my army just in time, about 1250AD.
Then i send a horse to Samarkand to meet Mongols and provoke their invasion.
Why rely on Crossbows? Mongol units cast anarchy which ignores city defense and the Keshik also does collateral damage.
I usually use Lancer for them, Lancers are also useful to fight barbarian Keshik too.

I think pistoliers are also good for fighting barbarian keshiks but maybe not anymore since they got nerfed in the new update

I wonder how you have settled the core area.
As for the Mongols - they are not that much of a threat since a player has meta-knowledge of their existence. It could be much harder for AI.

Why rely on Crossbows? Mongol units cast anarchy which ignores city defense and the Keshik also does collateral damage.
I usually use Lancer for them, Lancers are also useful to fight barbarian Keshik too.

Crossbows are cheeper, and i can promote them to Russian UU after Firearms.
And they works well.
I always defended against Mongols without casualties, or with 1 or 2 losses when two mongol stacks attack the same city and block the road preventing reinforcements from another safe city.

Moreover, after Mongol invasion, i can use them to garrison all new cities.
I usually play with 4 cities (+ Kazan) until Mongols.
After Mongols i settle Volgograd, another city north of Moscow to get two fur sources, and another one on black sea.
After Firearms, i upgrade all cities with new settlers, and then i'm ready to expand in Siberia.

My plan is to use Lancers and Horse Archers. With Stables you get quick access to the Skirmish promotion.

My feedback on the Russians:

Horse Archer spawns are immediate and excessive. I was dealing with them before I had a chance to build any more defenders, which almost always made me lose one of my founding cities (and essentially required me to restart). Four horse archers attacking you every several turns when you start with one crossbow per city seems too much, that early...

You need to protect only Moscow and they weaken Kiev for you.

You need to protect only Moscow and they weaken Kiev for you.
My preferred strategy is to settle Kiev by myself before it pops up.
So i can settle 1S, that's a better tile for me. If i settle Kiev, it comes with a granary, and i can whip a wall asap.
In this way i often have a wall against first wave of barbarian horses.
In less lucky games i get wall for the second one.

But i need this plan for iron and crossbows. Maybe a strategy of stables and horse archers allows to wait for Kiev and Iron.
I will try soon.

My feedback on the Russians:

Horse Archer spawns are immediate and excessive. I was dealing with them before I had a chance to build any more defenders, which almost always made me lose one of my founding cities (and essentially required me to restart). Four horse archers attacking you every several turns when you start with one crossbow per city seems too much, that early...

By the way: if You will make colonization's priority to Russian North and Northern-West lands: tribes of Horse Arcers and also later barbarian-keshiks couldnot damage your Russia

Top Bottom