[GS] 'Lesser' Mods

Pure24

Warlord
There are certain mods I find that are quite unobtrusive in that they barely affect any aspect of gameplay (or otherwise only change one really specific thing), but you nevertheless find it difficult to do without. Some QoL change, subtle UI improvement or background gameplay tweak...

Mine would be 'All Resources Harvestable'. It allows you harvest Luxury Resources, Strategic Resources, and others (such as Antiquity Sites and Shipwrecks). It's a great little mod which unlocks the annoying issue where you cannot place that perfect district adjacency or wonder spot...

Any other mods like that you use? Or maybe some really great mod which you feel is underappreciated and not as well known as some of the others?

I like Great Barrier Reef Campus Adjacency. It adds the same +2 science adjacency as you get from reefs implemented in the September update to the great barrier reef wonder. Potentially makes the wonder OP since you can get +4 if you place the campus in the middle (+2 from each wonder tile) but I think it makes sense and feels like something they simply missed in the update.

There are certain mods I find that are quite unobtrusive in that they barely affect any aspect of gameplay (or otherwise only change one really specific thing), but you nevertheless find it difficult to do without. Some QoL change, subtle UI improvement or background gameplay tweak...

Mine would be 'All Resources Harvestable'. It allows you harvest Luxury Resources, Strategic Resources, and others (such as Antiquity Sites and Shipwrecks). It's a great little mod which unlocks the annoying issue where you cannot place that perfect district adjacency or wonder spot...

Any other mods like that you use? Or maybe some really great mod which you feel is underappreciated and not as well known as some of the others?
I'd hardly call being able to harvest everything 'minor' nor 'barely affecting gameplay', but that's just me.

Proverbium.

All it does is replace all the terrible quotes with good ones.

But I cannot even begin to explain how much it improves quality of gameplay. No more slamming the mouse as fast as you can to cut off the terrible quotes.

Have a mod that removes the negative appeal modifiers from jungle and marshes. Find it ridiculous that jungles can't be turned into national parks.
Also had a mod that allowed the Great Wall tiles to be placed on tiles with woods, jungles etc but that one no longer works since GS.

Proverbium.

But I cannot even begin to explain how much it improves quality of gameplay. No more slamming the mouse as fast as you can to cut off the terrible quotes.
THIS. It's amazing how much that single mod improves my enjoyment of the game.

I'd hardly call being able to harvest everything 'minor' nor 'barely affecting gameplay', but that's just me.
Correct. It falls under the 'otherwise only changes one aspect of gameplay' category.

Have a mod that removes the negative appeal modifiers from jungle and marshes. Find it ridiculous that jungles can't be turned into national parks.
Also had a mod that allowed the Great Wall tiles to be placed on tiles with woods, jungles etc but that one no longer works since GS.
Intriguing. I like the idea of turning jungles into National Parks. Do you have a link?

Why marshes, too, though?

Correct. It falls under the 'otherwise only changes one aspect of gameplay' category.

Intriguing. I like the idea of turning jungles into National Parks. Do you have a link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an echo in here?...echo in here?

Hey bro, that's my mod and it still works. You just have to click away the dumb warning the game gives you, it works exactly the same as it did two years ago. I also made the better forts mod, which allows all types of forts to be placed in forest/jungle (although it does a few other little things too, so you may not like it)

Proverbium.

"It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut; they couldn’t hear the barbarians coming."

Then the dumb adviser tells me that I have a governor title available. Then

"It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut; they couldn’t hear the barbarians coming."

I should probably have turned her off by now.

That's the quote I hate the most in the whole game. It has everything wrong: Completely anachronistic (hearing about air conditioning when playing in the classical era), it's not even a representative abstraction of the causes the fall of the roman empire, and it's not funny.

About the OP, I have an sql file in which I place all the tweaks I want. In general I like things that modify the balance but not change the game outright.

That's the quote I hate the most in the whole game. It has everything wrong: Completely anachronistic (hearing about air conditioning when playing in the classical era), it's not even a representative abstraction of the causes the fall of the roman empire, and it's not funny.
For me, the worst one has to be this: "The Lord made us all out of iron. Then he turns up the heat to forge some of us into steel." – Marie Osmond

Talk about immersion breaking. Marie Osmond, are you kidding me??

Last edited:
Is there an echo in here?...echo in here?

When I play a game using Pink Floyd songs as my city names, the capital is usually named "Echoes". ;)

Speaking of which, I need a mod that allows me to save city names under different band names, and then at the beginning of the game allow me to pick which of the bands I want to use for city naming. The point would be that it would pick random names from the list instead of me having to type out every city.

Completely pointless to game play otherwise, but that would be the point.

Settlers at Early Empire. I like to focus on exploration and building up my capital in the earliest part of the game.

the capital is usually named "Echoes".
Snap, I often just call one city from floyd but mainly because I like the sound of it “Layne”. It’s an outskirts city a bit disassociated from the rest.

That's the quote I hate the most in the whole game. It has everything wrong: Completely anachronistic (hearing about air conditioning when playing in the...

They had air conditioning back then

It's not even a representative abstraction of the causes the fall of the roman empire

Uh. Isn't it? And isn't it literally true to?

Sukritact's Global Relations Panel provides an overview of AI nations' diplomatic relations (mimics a screen that was in previous editions of Civ)
Mappa Mundi adds more names for mountain ranges, rivers, deserts, volcanoes, etc
Random City Names shuffles the order of the list of city names for each civ, after the capital, so you don't see the same names in the same order every time
CIVIG 2 recreates the demographics panel that was in Civ V
WASD Camera Panning
Policy Change Reminder
Historic Continent Names
Sukritact's Historicity++
Unique District Icons
Real Great People

And I've just recently subscribed to Capture Unique Improvements, but I can't tell yet whether it's a dramatic change.

Cleaner Nuclear Power (Nuclear Power plants almost don't produce CO2)
Terrace Farms Boost Feudalism
Repeat Future (Repeats Future Tech and Future Civic automatically)
Nomina - Dynamic Civ and Leader Names (although not a lesser mod imho)
No Embarked Flying Units
better calendar (years/turn) for epic gamespeed
Happiness and Growth Indicators

And I've just recently subscribed to Capture Unique Improvements, but I can't tell yet whether it's a dramatic change.
I've used it for a couple of games, and I wouldn't call it a dramatic change, but, for me, a very satisfying small change. Why should a ziggurat or sphinx just disappear when a city changes hands?

Repeat Future (Repeats Future Tech and Future Civic automatically)
I will need to try this one! Sounds like a great QOL tweak for those longer games.

Top Bottom