Libertarianism Gov Mod

kirbtron

Chieftain
Hello,

I thought it would be interesting to have a government choice modeled after anarcho-capitalism or better known in the USA as libertarianism. This is a form of government in which as much as possible is put into the hands of private enterprise, not the government, possibly up to the point of eliminating the state entirely (the 'anarcho' part). The government choice available in the mod stops short of that, taking a typical libertarian stance that a government is desirable to provide for defense and build roads, for example. Here is the description in the Civilopedia:

"You are elected to carry out the limited functions of the national government in defending the nation and upholding justice. Most services are provided either from private enterprise or from charity, so the government needs to pay no upkeep on city buildings. The government is minimal and does not wield power from a central location, making corruption a constant regardless of distance. A free market economy results in increased commerce. But war weariness is a significant problem and war must be entered into only after much consideration. Like democracy, the worker rate with libertarianism is 150% and the chance of assimilation or successful propaganda is greater. However, your fellow citizens do not have a sense of patriotism. As a result, your cities are particularly susceptible to propaganda, and nobody will respond to the draft."

The choice of which civilization advance would allow the government type was obvious: the otherwise non-event technology of the Corporation!

You can see the exact numbers by opening up the Bic with the editor. The most powerful feature of this form of government, as compared to democracy, is the free maintenance on buildings. This is balanced by the communal corruption (which is detrimental to the 'core' of cities that a good player builds), the inability to draft, and much greater vulnerability to propaganda (because your fellow citizens expect to be able to choose even which government they live under).

First, since this is my first time doing anything with the Civ3 editor, I'd like to make sure that I did it right (see attachment). In particular, I would like to know the best way of distributing the Civilopedia and how to give instructions on installing the mod, including the extra Civilopedia entry.

Second, if anyone plays a game with this mod, I would like to know whether you think the government choice is too weak or too powerful, or if it otherwise should be changed or is good as is.

thanks,
Peter Kirby

my triple your governments mod had this in there for over a year, though I'm not so sure that it has the same stats.

I downloaded it, but I have no idea where to put it so that I can play it in the game.

Also, where did you find all the programs to create this cool sounding government???

Doesn't tell me a thing...is that something I have to download from somewhere? Is it found on the expansion pack PTW?

Civ3Edit comes with Civ3 (i don't know about Mac version)
Civ3xedit comes with PTW

Interesting. I'm guessing the lack of building upkeep will make this gov a little too powerful, but I'll have to play it to really know. I always thought it was kind of strange having the central government pay for banks and factories. That may be accurate in some societies, but not many modern ones. I think the real problem is that Civ doesn't distinguish between economic and political organization.

Anyway, if it is a little to powerful, maybe you could think of a way to represent the increased gap between the rich and the poor that would be created. With government doing as little as possible, and even schooling left to corporations, additional opportunities for wealth would probably be more than offset by all those people left behind. If there's no unemployment benefits, you lose your job, and you're screwed.

I don't know how that would be reflected in Civ, but it's a thought.

Make no maintenance costs, high war weariness, high unit cost, rate cap at 5 or lower, but a unique building for libertarian only. It would be a good money and happiness generator, but not a fighting one (libertarians generally dont support foreign policy and esp. dont back an army since it requires taxes and a large gov).

unique unit would be a cheap but defensive militia.

This sounds like a lot of fun! Keep up the good work. (BTW: a friend of mine is a libertarian politician.)

-PB

Originally posted by Packer-Backer
This sounds like a lot of fun! Keep up the good work. (BTW: a friend of mine is a libertarian politician.)

-PB

where at?

Libertarianism is cool. I agree with the concept that citizens need to be responsible for themselves etc. the Big flaw is that people just arent there yet (not saying there is a lot of dumb people, but make your opinion). I think the libertarians jump the gun on reducing govt, their first goal should be backing programs that make a self-reliant citizenry.

If it's possible, for accuracy I would make Libertarianism a separate advancement available after the discovery of Economics. The Corporation doesn't really fit since the Corporation in and of itself is basically a large business entity that uses the government to further it's own agenda. That's antithetical of Libertarianism (Democracies and Corporations go hand in hand with special interests) in a real Libertarian society there is no point of a business entity to lobby because the government can't really pass any laws, at least at the federal level.

Also keep in mind that Libertarianism isn't specifically pacifist, rather it's specifically anti-imperialist. There is a big difference.

Top Bottom