Like-minded players for a more relaxed/'historical' form of Civ VI multiplayer?

I was wondering how we wanted to go about roleplaying in the games? Obviously we havent seen how MP will work yet, but perhaps everyone would prefer to use an outside service like Discord, etc. to chat in. Perhaps as part of roleplaying players could do things like announce changes in government("A revolution in Norway!") or formal Declarations of war and the like in such a chat, and obviously private chats for negotiations

I was wondering how we wanted to go about roleplaying in the games? Obviously we havent seen how MP will work yet, but perhaps everyone would prefer to use an outside service like Discord, etc. to chat in. Perhaps as part of roleplaying players could do things like announce changes in government("A revolution in Norway!") or formal Declarations of war and the like in such a chat, and obviously private chats for negotiations
I only recently heard about Discord. I understand that it's some type of Skype-like voice chat software? In that case I'd rather not use it, as I'm a rather antisocial person and hate random, sudden mumblings in my ears. :p I much prefer text chats to voice ones -- but if others want to use it, they can ofc. Most likely there will be an in-game text chat included; if it works really poorly for some reason, though, then ofc some alternative should be sought.

@daft: Googling my nick, ha! :D Tbh I'm thinking of changing it, mainly because it's hard to think of a non-awkward abbreviation ('Sti' just doesn't cut it for me). But I've no idea what I'd change it to, and as I've been more or less of a stiiknafuulia all my life, for the moment I'm sticking with it. ;)

Discord has text-based chat as well. In fact, I primarily use Discord for text-based chat.
Ah, ok. I will try it out on the weekend and see how I like it. But in any case there's no reason why others can't use it, even if I personally don't like it.

EDIT: I tested Discord; while I find it more tolerable than other similar softs that I've tried to use in the past, I'd prefer if someone else creates the chat server and administers it. Otherwise I have no objections to its use -- although depending on the quality of the in-game communication UI, we may not even need it.

Last edited:
Hey, there! I made this post over on Reddit, and stiiknafuulia here graciously pointed out that I might be interested in this group - which I absolutely am. I'll confess, in my ten years of playing Civ, I've never once played multiplayer. But I've never once seen a group that had this kind of mindset going into it, either, so. I'm excited to see where this goes. I've joined the Steam group as well. :eekdance:

Welcome to CivFanatics, MeatThatTalks, and to this thread! :goodjob: I imagine you're in the same boat as a lot of people: when you're used to the relaxed pace of single-player, and don't even always play on the highest difficulty that you could be playing on, it can seem intimidating to even *try* multiplayer, because you're dead-certain you'd be crushed like a bug, and called a noob for your efforts, to add insult to injury. :blush: We'll be having none of that here (or at least only a moderate amount, after a significant while :mischief:).

The reason it's been quiet in this thread yet again is apparent to all: Firaxis have chosen to maintain their deafening silence about the multiplayer until the very moment of release, or so it sure seems at the moment. It's baffling tbh, as when the game was first announced, they were keen to boast about several new game-modes that are meant for shorter time-frames, including as short as one-hour-long games, that would nevertheless feel like a 'complete experience' (paraphrasing; I can't remember that far back). :eek: Whether these modes have been axed since because they couldn't get them to work is anyone's guess; at any rate, they should fire the marketing personnel who are responsible for their deplorable policy of silence -- in any case but the one that's most obvious: the multiplayer is either non-existent or a bare-bones shell and the silence is the best cover-up for it. :shifty:

As I see it, we can only wait at this point, as any elaborate rules that we'd devise would inevitably have to be changed once they come in contact with the actual game (especially due to the quirks of multiplayer -- even without any special game-modes, but doubly so if we do want to use them). Still, if you have some new ideas (this concerns everyone), we can always jot them down for inclusion in some form down the line.

Edit: I'm still thinking about the best way to implement vassalage in particular, so if you have any ideas on that, they're especially welcome. It's just a hilarious concept (nothing like having your own personal slave-Civ! :D), and could add a very dynamic mechanic to the game (former vassals rising in rebellion in a coalition with a new invader, as happened with e.g. the Aztec empire irl). This way, even a vast, runaway civ could still be brought down after they've conquered (or rather subjugated) several other civs.

Last edited:
Hei people, I'm interested in this. I like the idea of RolePlay where Montezuma (as MTT said in his post) would not use Republic government. But if there would be place for me in this group I'm not sure how precise could I be (and should someone be) in terms of historical roleplay and how we could know if someone is playing following real history conditions.

The reason I'm asking is because based on what I've seen so far on YouTube Religion combat and victory is big thing and if it's in Spain's blood to use it and you're it's neighbor, let's say Norway wouldn't it be common sense to build bit more holy sites to defend your self from it. What I ask is where is line drawn on how much role play everyone needs to be.

But I'm all in for the idea that you can take time in multiplayer and build your empire not worrying that someone is just concentrate on power and go on raids from start. then again combat against human same as diplomacy is definitely thing that is mostly missing in all civ games from release 1. Cause AI is simply well AI.

One suggestion, cause it appears that in VI you can sprawl cities and get away with it maybe along with how many cities you can conquer depending on the government, you could implement same thing for number of settling cities. Then again it's one more rule. Just throwing out idea.

Saying it cause someone has well said it here that now in 6 you can just place "jerky" cities just to block someone and leave it as is. Yeah you will not get amenities from luxury resources cause one source of luxury is spread to 4 cities, for 5th you need another source. But still you wont have overall empire penalties. If you set number of settled cities by "Rule" then everyone will not sprawl cities just for sake of blocking.

Again just idea.

Last edited:
Welcome markoivezic! :goodjob:

As things currently stand, the rules will vary from game to game, and be fairly simple (because to anticipate every possible situation would make them way too convoluted) -- so a lot of the role-play will rely on common sense and gentlemanly conduct. Whether any strict rules will be needed will become apparent as we play a few test-games.

We *could* try to role-play the behavior that particular civs had irl; but then the problem becomes that if you choose e.g. Scythia, then your 'natural role' is to rush your neighbors to death with an early horse-stampede, which is the total opposite of what this group is supposed to be going for. It can also be fairly limiting and predictable if each Civ is confined to strictly act out their historical role; to me, Civ is all about *alternate* history, so e.g. going super-wide with Japan should be a possibility, even if not historical for them (until WW II at least). This is not to say that we can't play any such games (especially on a world map it could be fun to try this out), but it won't be the default mode, as I envision it.

The main thing for me would be just to avoid turning people off by dying to early rushes, and then add rules to that basic template for each particular game as needed. Likely a few staple rules will emerge that will be used in almost every game though (e.g. not having any AIs present -- due to the bad combat AI, it would heavily favor the players who start next to them).

EDIT: Ofc each player is free to invent a mythology / political system / cultural habits for their people in order to rationalize their actions in the game; that is what role-playing is all about, after all. So if I declare a war to claim the nice lake-side real-estate in your empire, it's nothing personal: I simply need a place to build some saunas for my people. ;)

Tbh, the more I read about Scythia's abilities (2 horse archers for the price of one, *and* heal 50 hp on kill?! Seriously? :dubious:), the more I think they will be banned from most multiplayer games outright (unless heavily nerfed, that is), whether our variant games or just regular ones.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in joining in a relaxed multiplayer Civ6 experience with lots of diplomacy and rpg :-D

So much fun themes to think of :-D
A civ only using ranged units?
A civ only building cities on coasts?

Sending request to join the Immersioneers! :D (btw my steam name is tweemetererik)

Welcome!

I wonder if well be able to customize our civ details(name, leader name, etc) like in previous civs so we can add to role playing.
And yea I can definitely see scythia being banned from player use, since the healing ability is constant across time. And since it seems unlikely that there will be another leader for scythia, theyll probably have that for all time.

As things currently stand, the rules will vary from game to game, and be fairly simple (because to anticipate every possible situation would make them way too convoluted) -- so a lot of the role-play will rely on common sense and gentlemanly conduct. Whether any strict rules will be needed will become apparent as we play a few test-games.

I agree, and think it's wise that we wait to determine the rules until we test a few games casually (still doing some roleplaying, of course) and see what works and what doesn't. So hopefully nobody gets too put-off by some of our early games being a little wonky. It'll take some time to figure out what we'd like to discourage or outright prohibit.

This is not to say that we can't play any such games (especially on a world map it could be fun to try this out), but it won't be the default mode, as I envision it.

Great, yeah. I think a game like that could be a lot of fun, but definitely not the default. And of course, if someone wants to roleplay their civ that way in any game, they're free to do so. Wanna play Victoria as a colonizer? Sure, that's absolutely fine. But unless specified for that game, others shouldn't be forced to play their leaders historically.

Ofc each player is free to invent a mythology / political system / cultural habits for their people in order to rationalize their actions in the game; that is what role-playing is all about, after all. So if I declare a war to claim the nice lake-side real-estate in your empire, it's nothing personal: I simply need a place to build some saunas for my people. ;)

This, along with the non-tryhard casualness of the games, is the main merit of this whole idea, IMO. Inventing some maxims and cultural/personal ideologies and standing by them, and playing consistent with the choices you make. And of course, there are even exceptions to that consistency - maybe your Civ was a serious warmonger in the early game, but when they adopt a new form of government, a revolution changes their ideology and they become pacifistic. As long as it's roleplayed sincerely, I think there should be a lot of wiggle room. No reason to get too serious about it - just make sure you're always working with a narrative rather than trying to min-max the game mechanics (and even playing ideally, sometimes, will just happen to coincide with your roleplay agenda).

Tbh, the more I read about Scythia's abilities (2 horse archers for the price of one, *and* heal 50 hp on kill?! Seriously? :dubious:), the more I think they will be banned from most multiplayer games outright (unless heavily nerfed, that is), whether our variant games or just regular ones.

I think it's too soon to say. It does look to be VERY strong, but maybe in practice that won't remain the case. I don't want to jump the gun on that just yet. In fact, I think we -should- include Scythia in one of our first games just to test those waters.

Count me in, just sent a request to Stroganov via Steam. I usually play on a Mac so it will be interesting to see cross platform stability. I can switch to bootcamp if it fails/problems. Cheers for the great idea.

Count me in as well. Looking forward to test CIV 6 in multiplayer and, presumably, will have plenty of free time next 2 months. I can easily adapt to any rules setting and roleplaying style actually appeals to me. My nickname in Steam is iliasshomm or pochesun, so feel free to add me :)

I don't have the free time for multiplayer sessions at the moment, but I really like this idea and look forward to hearing how these games play out!

I'm interested, but I won't be able to play multiplayer until december atleast

A-ha! As I suspected, new players start coming out of the woodwork with the impending release! Welcome, everyone (even if you can't participate yet, it's good to have you here). :goodjob: (EDIT: And it helps that we're in an actual MP forum now ;))

Even though I want everyone to get acquainted with the game (via sp) before we start with multiplayer, I think there's no harm in thinking what settings we'll be using in our first game. I was thinking of something like this:

• Standard size (not too big or small, I'd think. Possibly a different-sized map is better; we'll know after a few sp games)
  • Temperate, 4 billion yo world (the 'middle settings', to provide a sort of 'calibrating' game)
  • Continents (fun to have some exploration and suspense as to how other players are doing)
  • No AIs (they'll either be in the way, and/or an unfair advantage to the ones who conquer their lands)
  • 8 players (or whatever is the standard amount)
  • Default number of City States (as to their early conquest, we'll need a rule or two for that I suppose)
  • Speed = Quick I guess (or Standard, if people prefer)
  • The combat mode settings will have to be tested in a mock-game, I suppose, to see which setting people will prefer (I never played mp in any previous Civ, so I for one have no idea)
  • All victory conditions enabled (unless they'll be terribly unbalanced on release somehow)
If it's possible to choose 'balanced' resources for each player, imo we should do it to ensure that everyone gets a fighting chance. Even if there's a rule against eliminating players in the early game, it's no fun to start in the tundra and know that you won't amount to anything.

As to what Civs we'll use, now is the time to start making reservations. ;) We can throw lots if two people absolutely want to play as the same Civ. I suggest banning Scythia from the first game, though, just to be on the safe side. We can include them later on if they'll prove to be less totally op than initially feared.
EDIT: I suppose the Aztecs are off the table as well, since some people most likely haven't preordered. I think that's good tbh, as they seem borderline broken for going super-wide early on.

I think it's wise to go with the simplest possible rule-set for the first game, so apart from the rule(s) regarding City States, there will only be a rule against too much early conquest. As we adopt more advanced governments, it will be possible to conquer more cities. The exact numbers will depend on some things that can only be determined with sp test games, so we'll choose them a bit later on. Role-playing is to be highly encouraged, but those will be the only strict rules in the very first game.

EDIT: I will edit this post with the reserved Civs as people announce them. For now I'll reserve Germany for myself; I expect there to be some competition though, in which case I can simply pick another Civ, as it's not an absolute must that I get to try them out. And anyway, I can always test them in sp or in future mp games. So,
  • stiiknafuulia: Germany (tentative)
  • MeatThatTalks: Arabia
  • pochesun: Rome

Last edited:
The combat mode settings will have to be tested in a mock-game, I suppose, to see which setting people will prefer (I never played mp in any previous Civ, so I for one have no idea)

I'm also new to Civ multiplayer. Is there anyone in this thread who's quite familiar with the way combat works in Civ V multiplayer who could shed some light on this for us?

If it's possible to choose 'balanced' resources for each player, imo we should do it to ensure that everyone gets a fighting chance. Even if there's a rule against eliminating players in the early game, it's no fun to start in the tundra and know that you won't amount to anything.

I think I agree with this?. Again, I welcome any input from more experienced Civ multiplayer players, but balanced resources seems preferable to me on instinct.

I suggest banning Scythia from the first game, though, just to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure if you read my post a little further up the page, but I personally suggest that we do the exact opposite of this. If we want to find out whether Scythia is actually going to be OP for our purposes, we need to try them out. The first game isn't going to go perfectly no matter what. The nature of these things is that they're refined over time as people get to know one another and get to know the mechanics they're working with. Let's get Scythia in the mix as quickly as possible to determine whether it's actually a problem.

there will only be a rule against too much early conquest.

We should probably be a little more specific with that. Shall we forbid war in the Ancient Era? Or perhaps, forbid war until -everybody- is out of the Ancient Era? Or go farther still?

This is also a rule that should only be temporary, in my opinion, or only used in certain games and not in others (the same of which goes for, say, resource distribution and the like - no reason to have the exact same rules for every game we play). Otherwise some unique military units that activate very early in the game are rendered nearly useless (who would ever play Gilgamesh?).

I will edit this post with the reserved Civs as people announce them.

I'd like to reserve Arabia.

I'm not sure if you read my post a little further up the page, but I personally suggest that we do the exact opposite of this. If we want to find out whether Scythia is actually going to be OP for our purposes, we need to try them out. The first game isn't going to go perfectly no matter what. The nature of these things is that they're refined over time as people get to know one another and get to know the mechanics they're working with. Let's get Scythia in the mix as quickly as possible to determine whether it's actually a problem.
Thing is, though, that Scythia's entire modus operandi is to perform a crippling early rush -- something which we aim to discourage in this form of game (or most games, at least). There's no point to playing as Scythia if you don't intend to rush someone and either pillage their empire or take their cities. Granted, we could let you do this within the framework of not conquering too many cities, as per the agreed-upon rules; but it may be trivially easy to conquer cities as Scythia, due to their ridiculous bonuses. Perhaps we could test Scythia in single player to determine how op they really are? One thing is for sure, though: if they are included in the first game, I will not be their next-door neighbor! :lol:

I just realized that we haven't talked at all about pillaging. :eek: It could be a very viable strategy in Civ VI to simply ruin your opponent's improvements, never actually taking any cities. I'm not sure how to deal with this, tbh. To make a new rule for it (how many tiles you could pillage) would be too hard to keep track of to be of good use. I guess we'll have to rely on good conduct until something better is thought out (you may raid some, but not too much). Any ideas, anyone?

We should probably be a little more specific with that. Shall we forbid war in the Ancient Era? Or perhaps, forbid war until -everybody- is out of the Ancient Era? Or go farther still?

This is also a rule that should only be temporary, in my opinion, or only used in certain games and not in others (the same of which goes for, say, resource distribution and the like - no reason to have the exact same rules for every game we play). Otherwise some unique military units that activate very early in the game are rendered nearly useless (who would ever play Gilgamesh?).
Iirc, you're a late arrival to the thread and so perhaps missed some of our earlier discussion about this. It was agreed that the best way to limit early conquest is to tie the number of 'conquerable' cities to the tier of government that you've adopted. Such that, while you're in Chiefdom (default government), you may conquer X cities. Then when you adopt any of the 3 Tier II governments (available with Political Philosophy), you may conquer X + Y cities. And yet more with Tier III, until with a Tier IV government (Fascism, Communism or Democracy) you may conquer any number of cities. This way, the end-game will be a series of epic world-wars that will be waged after everyone has gotten to play their part in that particular world's history. To be defeated at that stage won't sting half as much as being ran over by chariots and being forced out of the game in the first 30 minutes. (Admittedly, some players might feel differently. There might even be always-peace games, if some people prefer them; this is only the rule-set for the first game, and even then it's still subject to changes.)

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell what government another player has adopted, so that you'd know to be more wary. In sp, there are announcements when the AI does this (iirc), but if they're disabled for mp, then we'll just have to announce when we switch our government (between tiers, that is).

The ideal value of 'X', and the increments to it, will vary due to various factors that are still unknowable (average expansion speed; optimal number / distance of cities; etc). Ideally, from a role-playing pov, there would also be differences in the amount of conquerable cities based on the particular Civ (think Gandhi vs. Tomyris), and by the actual form of government, not just tier (a Fascist government would be much keener on world domination than a Democratic one, duh). But this is only the first game, so I think it's best to keep things simple and just go with government tier.

Later on, as the games evolve and the rules get refined, we might introduce formal treaties which cannot be broken, or will have severe consequences for doing so. So, you might agree e.g. to pay someone 1,000 gold for a 40-turn treaty that outright prevents them from declaring war on you for those turns (on pain of being booted from the game). There are endless possibilities once we get the ball rolling. :D

I'd like to reserve Arabia.
Duly noted. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Welcome, ELRACj! :goodjob: As you are into TSL, I think you'll be excited to learn that I aim to make a world map specifically for mp in Civ VI.:) Also, if you think you'll have the time to participate in our first game (perhaps a week from release), feel free to pick your Civ (Mac problems notwithstanding).

Last edited:
I would like to reserve Rome. Also would like to know if the clock timer will be applied and if yes - what settings should we use. Also where we would get info about coming games ? (got my hands itching to try new civ ;)

Top Bottom