Like-minded players for a more relaxed/'historical' form of Civ VI multiplayer?

I would like to reserve Rome. Also would like to know if the clock timer will be applied and if yes - what settings should we use. Also where we would get info about coming games ? (got my hands itching to try new civ ;)
Welcome (EDIT: or were you already here? not sure when there's so many new players! :crazyeye:), and your reservation is noted. :goodjob: I'm not too familiar with the technical details of Civ mp, having never tried it; after we get our hands on the game, we can sort out these issues, based on feedback from those who've played mp before. Logically though, there has to be some kind of time-limit for turns, in case someone has to go afk suddenly. We'll have to see what available options there are and proceed accordingly.

EDIT: I think the Steam group can be used for announcing games with 'standard' rules (once we can figure out what those are). For more elaborate games, with numerous variant rules, we might make a new thread on the mp forums here at CFC, with the tag [Immersioneers], to let everyone know what it's all about. A third option is to use the Discord software that someone recommended (although I personally don't like voice-chat, I can stomach using it for creating games).

Last edited:
I used to play some Civ IV multiplayer with a small group of friends and this idea sounds really cool. I'd love to be a part of it.

pochesun said:
ok cool. So announcements for new games willbe posted in this thread?
No; I will make a new thread for the test-game, as this one is too cluttered with pre-game discussions. After that, people may make a new thread if they feel that's it's warranted (see my edit to my post above this).

EDIT: There might even be a sub-forum for these kinds of games in the future, as the interest seems to warrant it. But that will come later, as things are more established.

EDIT: F'ed up my quote there; sorry for confusing you (if you had time to see it), Denvar! Welcome to the group, and feel free to pick a Civ for the test game! :)

No; I will make a new thread for the test-game, as this one is too cluttered with pre-game discussions. After that, people may make a new thread if they feel that's it's warranted (see my edit to my post above this).

EDIT: F'ed up my quote there; sorry for confusing you (if you had time to see it), Denvar! Welcome to the group, and feel free to pick a Civ for the test game! :)
Thx for the info, just wanted to make sure i wont miss anything :)

I wasn't able to determine if you guys have picked a time for the test game yet, but assuming i'm able to make it, i'd love to give the Norwegians a go.

France for me please! Beware of my web of spies..

Stiiknafuulia: Glad to hear you are making an earth map, I don't know what you plan to do with it but I would love to have an earth map with an Europe with a bit larger proportions, and a wider English Channel. In Civ 5 sometimes European civs could manage to cram two cities before it was full, and also the English channel was only 1-2 hexes wide.

We haven't picked a time for the test game yet. That will come later as people's schedules get sorted out. It will likely be on the weekend after the release weekend, though (so, 28th, 29th or 30th). (I am in Finland, but my schedule is flexible, to say the least! :D)

I will update the op with the newly chosen Civs. I'm sure Norway will make a lot of friends with their funny little boats... :mischief:

@Haig: On my Civ V world map, I did make Europe larger, and I also cut out almost all the oceans, because they only add to the travel time of boats and embarked units, for the sake of 'realism'. I judged gameplay to be more important; with my solution, loading times were improved (due to a smaller map), and you actually had time to use a navy before it went obsolete! :crazyeye: The English channel was only 1 hex wide though, because otoh I just couldn't stomach how the British Isles looked if I put them farther away (a case of personal aesthetic bias). Perhaps I'll make a different choice with my new map, but it's not the end of the world to me if Longbowmen can shoot over the channel into France. It's only for a minor time-window in each game (with Artillery it was close enough to believable :p).

EDIT: We have 6 players registered for the test game now... I guess we'll make two games with identical rules and settings if there's too many players. I wouldn't want to shut anyone out; and the people who posted first in this thread deserve to play as well, as they gave me a lot of valuable ideas. Let's fill up the first game's roster (does anyone know how many players is the standard amount on a standard sized map?), and then start filling up the other.

I would like to play as Japan if no one else badly wants it. regarding multiplayer I played once CIV V and I know that only thing what was different than SP was that everyone is playing same turn in same time in same amount of time per turn. that time per turn increases as years go by. But what's interesting in fighting is that you need to be quick and thoughtful cause you maybe want to make special unit order of attack but once you get to your final troops they might not be there cause they were destroyed in that same turn by your opponent.

What is more troubling here is that except at early stages of marketing this game Firaxis have not mentioned Multiplayer. Also I havent seen (and maybe I'm wrong) any one from youtube players mentioned anything regarding MP as well. Smells kinda fishy to be honest, but I hope that it will not be the case and everything will be up and running with this first release.

@stiiknafuulia yeah Norway will be loved - check gamplay by these guys, they went nuts with Norway.

Glad we're putting things together now! I'd like to reserve China for my civ! And we'll be setting up this game through steam correct?

EDIT: From my experience, quick movement and combat is preferred in mp, and i think thats best as well. Also yes standard maps have 8 civs :)

Ok, so that's 8 people for the first roster. Likely some people won't make it when the hour arrives (it always happens), but we'll just go with less civs then, or people can whisper for their friends to join, etc.

The second, simultaneous game will be identical to the first one, apart from the map (as they're randomly generated), and the people who participate in it. So, if you want to play, please pick any Civ that you'd like, as they're all available again for the second game. :)

When the games have ended, we'll gather the respective reports and make some conclusions from them, for improving future games. Pillaging in particular worries me a little bit, as I cannot think of a way to limit it un-clumsily. Also, with simultaneous combat, in case of a two-front war it may be impossible to prevent pillaging by fast cavalry units, as you won't have enough hands to deal with it. We'll just have to see how it goes I suppose... I'd be wary of settling open lands, in any case. ;)

Last edited:
We are going to check that out for sure. Btw Stii, do you have gathered all the civs selected so that I know against which civs do I practice ;)

We are going to check that out for sure. Btw Stii, do you have gathered all the civs selected so that I know against which civs do I practice ;)
They're in the op, as I realized that's the best place to put them.

I'll create a new thread for the test games sometime during the weekend, as we get our hands on the game and can discuss the settings in some more detail.

Multiplayer stream has started: https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames
(Might as well watch it, since my vpn refuses to let me log in as an Australian for some reason... Oh well, 5 more hours to play the game I'll be playing for the next 5 years! :D)

EDIT: Holy FUDGE, multiplayer has mod support and the mods will be automatically dl'ded from the host's Steam Workshop! :eek: This is going to be *excellent* if it works as promised (fingers crossed)! :goodjob:

Based on what I'm watching on twitch Multiplayer looks good and stable.
What your watching LAN is multiplayer, something done in house with people in the same building. They didn't show off the Internet online part which tells me it's probably plagued with issues like with Civ 5.

I think I'd like to roleplay a friendly luxury hoarding civ. I think Egypt will be very suitable for this with their trade route bonuses, so I'd like to claim them :goodjob:
Cool, I'll add you as the first player to game #2. :)

@markoivezic: That better be the case, as apart from the barbarians (which are really aggressive and a lot of trouble) the AI is even worse than Civ V's at release, and that is saying something! :eek::lol:

Top Bottom