1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Livestreamer Previews Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

OK i'm staying out of this thread because it's getting spoiler'ish now.

2. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

It's only a spoiler if you actually thought the AI might get better...

Elhoim likes this.
  3. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Chieftain

Eh. If the timing in quills game is any indication, that proposal pops long after people have already built those buildings. No idea if the A option destroys existing ones (that seems unlikely and silly)

4. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

*tears up*

Queen of medical health coverage.

5. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

Having watched Quill's playthrough, I'm pretty happy with how they have "thickened up" the later parts of the game. I think it may feel a bit too much like busywork at some points but I think it's a good improvement still.

But yes, I'm disappointed in how ineffective the AI seems to be at the later parts of the victories. We're still talking Emperor, which is not the most difficult but it *is* beyond "normal" and quill really didn't play very well.

I mean, new features are all fun of course but it will all end up feeling a bit pointless to actually engage in the systems if you can screw around as much as he did but still win at higher difficulties.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

But that's usually what every expansion is: They don't make the game more difficult to win, they just give the player more toys to play with.

8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

While I agree with you, I also understand that for many players, the ability to "screw around" and still win is part of the fun.

Personally, I think that should be true at the mid-levels of difficulty, and not true for the higher levels, but others - including Firaxis, it seems - feel otherwise.

As @SupremacyKing2 points out, providing the player with new toys is a key aspect of the marketing strategy. "Now harder to win" doesn't appear in the marketing pitch. :)

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

The more systems there are the harder it is going to be for the AI, simple as that. If you want expansions and "stuff" it almost by definition is going to be easier to play. I mean massive bonuses and "jump start" mechanics would make it harder, but I always think that is kind of artificial.

anandus likes this.
  10. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

True, although FXS could mitigate this by helping the AI to cheat a little. I mean, it already cheats with say gold maintenance (I think the AI basically just ignores maintenance).

Perhaps depending on difficulty, the AI should probably get some sort of buffs to loyalty and, after GS, probably to resources.

11. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

You can give it all the cheats you want, but if it's going to spend it on building dozens of support units when it only needs 3-4, it's of no use.

darkace77450 and acluewithout like this.
  12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I think what the AI likely needs, more than anything else, is to be given a handful of decent "plans" and then to doggedly follow the one they're assigned each game. So if they get dealt the "We're going religion!' plan, then they're given a series of build orders and religious spread tactics that have a realistic chance of achieving a religious victory if unopposed by the player. Then the AI also needs a special "we're under attack!" plan that overrides everything else when they're at risk of losing a city. However, I'm straying far from my (very tiny) area of competence, and am grossly simplifying the situation.

It does, though, seem to me that the more systems that get thrown into the game, the harder it is for the AI to play it well, and therefore the more likely it is that the AI could benefit from having a very strict set of pre-programmed behaviours, rather than trying to assess and react to things on the fly. You just need to have enough of those "plans" to provide some variety in how the various AI leaders behave. (Also, hint: under none of those plans should the AI be told to build another Medic when it already owns 3. Unless it gets dealt the "Mobile National Health Care" plan! :))

13. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

14. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

just got around to watching christopherodd's canada video. Gotta say that I enjoyed his a lot more than biffa even though they are both learning the game. Christopher just seems to get things right away a lot better. Don't get me wrong, he's doing all sorts of silly things but way less infuriating than biffa lol

15. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

Screenshot (157).png

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Quill's Canada game has lots of air units at the end. China has tons of fighters.

CPWimmer likes this.
  17. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Seaport is pretty strong as is. No surprise there. More power for other buildings.

AvianBritish likes this.
  18. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  19. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Stadium
    Electrical needs: 3 power

The bonus Amenity extends to each city center within a radius of 6 tiles. This bonus applies only once in a city, so there is no need to build this building in multiple copies within a radius of 6 tiles around a city center. Tourism +2 if the city has at least 10 inhabitants, +5 if it has at least 20.

+1 Amenity
    +2 more Amenities if supplied with electricity

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Remind me not to use the airport that doesn't have any lights.