LK165 - CCM, Deity, Space Race, Arabia

I can't remember if we can sell atomic theory to the AI. Does anyone recall whether we can sell it?

Atomic Theory.jpg

1840 end.

IBT: England completes the National Monument one turn too early.
Knight stack sent toward Mekka.

1842 AD: Switch Iron Horse to XRay at a loss of 350 shields. Surf City will get TOE in 1 turn instead.

Knight stack is costly to take out with 4 losses. Take out an injured stack in mountains to close off mountain road to Ora. I end up pillaging one of the railed mountain squares near Mekka as there are lots of units on their way. The other Mecca square I put defenders on. They will hopefully not attack, but even if they do the losses will be large on their part.
Lose other units as well - there are just so many of them that even easier fight have a few losses.

War weariness is already bad enough to raise Lux to 20% adding a turn to our next tech.

IBT: Was not able to watch turn for some reason. Our Infantry were not attacked.

1844 AD: Trade Sci Method for 19246 gold to Lowlands and 9420 to Italy.
Get a great Artist and monk

Kill units near Fes. Road toward Pleiades and autodestroy a newly planted city on the edge of the desert (taking at least one city should give better terms for peace).

Fascism is known so I use some of our cash for a careful steal from Magreb which succeeds.
Also use cash to rush two more steamrollers.

One attack on Izmet again fails to kill a defender.

1846 AD: Looks like we can talk to Turkey but really want a leader. We get 2 more great artists, monks, and finally on the very last chance we get our leader. I use the leader to rush Cruiser Project in New Carthage.
The good news about the end of the war is we can get Motorization next turn rather than 2 turns. This means the war did NOT delay our tech progress.

IBT: Magreb and Israel form a MPP.

1848 AD: Mass Production is 6 turns.

1850 AD: Get oil connected. We can upgrade our Cavalry to Hotchkiss. I do so.
The AI is likely going to get Motorization soon so I decide to sell it to the two rich civs. 19320 gold from the Lowlands and 6450 gold + 165 gpt from Italy. The other 4? civs have no cash.

I also sell tech from the last era.

Rush 3 dockyards in cities that otherwise would have very low shield output.

IBT: Uruk completes Army HQ

1852 AD: We are able to reach some Turkish units and gain some more Partisans. It looks like we have 9 total now. We also attack with Lawyers but gain no new artists.

1854 AD: Kill the final turkish stacks from the war that hadn't moved gaining 3 Partisans and losing 1 (11 total which started from 3 upgraded Enslavers), and gaining 2 Great artists. It will be now harder to find units to kill.

Notes:
Rail connections of cities is close to complete. I see 6 cities (Theveste, Tangier, Trantor, Uruk, Santander, Jaen) that are not fully connected yet.

I have had at least one city on Infantry as we don't yet have full coverage for our towns. We have mostly been going for Factories and Power Plants which are finishing up in our core cities. Factories and power plants generate unhappiness so we should also get any remaining happiness buildings and the War Memorials before the next war.

I did end up using our one settler in a coastal spot with a bit of overlap. Have one motorized settler building (combat settler?).

Communism is now known to Italy, the Lowlands, and oddly Maghreb. We have enough cash to try a steal from Magreb. We get the tech on the second try. This leaves us with 32k with Electricity still tradable and known only to us.
LK165_AD1854.png

Attachments

• LK165-1854AD.SAV
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
ROSTER:

LKendter (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium (up)
Greebley (swapped)

Restrictions:
We are democracy the rest of the game.
Continents map: Can't take out a civ on another continent. Okay to RAZE cities from a civ that was on OUR landmass anywhere. Okay to claim a small island for resources.

Plan to get Ford's Factory (700 shields) build completed 1 turn after learning Mass Production.

We are going to build it in Mekka, but need to prepare Mekka.

We need to rush build at least 4 (5 might be better) settlers (not in cities with a maghreb presence) and merger them into Mekka to get its population high enough so that it can work all its mines without starving.
This will let Mekka produce over 200 shields.

This has to be done right now (1854 AD).
Start a pre build for Ford's Factory right now with the current 100+ shields per turn going into into Battlefield Medicine.
Next turn merge 4 (or 5) settlers into Mekka and MM it to over 200+ shields.
The following turn when we learn Mass Production. Use the "BIg Picture" to switch Mekka into Ford's Factory.

Also, I noticed a few cities with out anyone guarding them and Infantry loafing around guarding nothing.

Consider, we are in our Golden Age and with Science research at 100% it is taking us 6 turns to learn a Tech. When the Golden age ends it will take longer.
Why are we building factories (which make people unhappy) in marginal cities who will mainly produce income and research? Before building factories and power planets, should these cities not build Observatories, Universities and, at least a Market Place?

Markets when science is high are not very useful - they can wait. The cost of Uni + observatory is sufficiently high that I think +100% shields is worthwhile if we plan to build anything other than just Uni and Observatory The cut-off for when a factory is worthwhile is a bit subjective - but building early saves the most shields if they town will ever have them. The game will last longer so we gain more shields this game.

Also remember we can now plant trees so our low shield towns can gain quite a number of shields once the rail network is complete.

The problem with planting trees is we lose population. An irrigated grass tile with railroad produces 4 food a forest produces 1 food. Plant 2 trees we go from 8 food to 2 food a loss of 6 food or 3 potential scientists = 12 research points lost.

We need more population not trees. I like the concept of our newest town, Perkering. It fills in the space between 2 established towns and can grow to a decent size.

We should build more towns on the coast, for example Seoul is badly positioned and cannot take full advantage of the sea tiles. We should build a town on the coast southwest of Seoul that maybe gets the fish.
Also we could build a town over by Algiers and maybe 1 by Utica.

Even at 100% research we are generating some cash. So we can rush buildings. Also, those cities that do not have any thing to build can build defensive troops so instead spending cash to upgrade older units we replace them and disband the old units.

It depends on the city, IMO. Babylon could use a tree tile to hit 90spt when we learn Great War Experience and maybe another when we hit Radio. We should similarly be planting trees as needed in our other Barracks-having cities. Places like Wonsan or Izmit, OTOH, can go all-out on irrigation.

I like the plan of building a city W-SW of Seoul -- it will get 13 water tiles to work, including the fish, for the cost of 6 food off Seoul. In exchange, it will net 13*3 + 2 (fish) + 2 (city) = 43 food for a net gain of 18 citizens!

Right now you are correct 1 forest planted, mined, and railed at Babylon would get it an additional 13 shields for a total of 97 shields. However, when our golden age ends, Babylon drops from 84 shields to 42 shields and the mined and railed forest would add 9 shields getting Babylon to 51 shields.
A way to generate 15 shields for any of our cities is to plant a forest (8 worker turns), chop the forest (4 worker turns), irrigate (4 worker turns), then repeat next turn. Only need 1 Steamroller and 2 hybrid Steamrollers. This gives Steamrollers and workers something to do when all the landscaping is done and we start fortifying them.

IIRC the second chop won't produce any shields. It was considered an exploit.

IIRC the second chop won't produce any shields. It was considered an exploit.
:yup: The Flintlock patch has a note in the game, when a forest tile was already chopped more early in the game.

Pre-turn:

Set Babylon, Surf City, Seoul, and Ashur to Motorized Settlers and MM Mekka according to JJ's plan.

Short-rush Observatory in Madrid

Move a few of the infantry. Hey Civinator, the Arabian Infantry WWI have a somewhat slow fortify animation. It's not as bad as a lot of the ones I've commented on, just a little pokey.

1856 AD:

I merge in those Settlers to Mekka. 169spt, focused on growth (we'll be over 300 shields; I'll MM for 200+ next turn)

IBT - we lose an exploring ship
Maghreb want MPP + RoP. That's rich!

1858 AD:

We sell Napoleonic Age to Egypt for 38+150gpt

All our cities are connected to the railnet; time to start building roads and improving marginal cities!

IBT Mass Production > Early Tanks.
Mekka switches to Ford's Factory

1860 AD:

Reassign citizens in Mekka to avoid starvation, Ford still due in 1.

IBT Poland warns us. We apologize.

korea_43_1315AD.jpg

1862 AD:

More worker moves!

IBT Now India wants MPP+RoP.

Turkey is moving a lot of troops east near Izmit. I might do some Partisan action...

1864 AD:

Lots of road-building!

Partisans move into position...
Partisan forces a WE to retreat
Partisan kills WE
Partisan forces a WE to retreat
Partisan forces Eastern Knight to retreat
Partisan kills Mamluk Horsearcher
Partisan kills Crossbow
Partisan kills Trebuchet, promotes
Lawyer captures Mullah
Lawyer captures Eastern Knight
Lawyer kills Worker (oops)
Lawyer captures German Steamroller
Mullah kills Mongolian Worker and captures a second one stacked with it.

IBT:

Our spy in Annaba gets captured.

1866 AD:

No unwary Turkish units are at the border, so I send the Partisans back to training camp.

IBT: Early Tanks > Flight

1868 AD:

Shuruppak founded near Seoul.

Well, that's disappointing. Someone learned Mass Production (probably Lowlands) and traded it around on the IBT.

1870 AD:

Commerce Raider captures Mongol War Galleon near Al Jadida
Commerce Raider sinks vs. Mongol Akatabune near Rabat.
Second one sinks it.

IBT:

USA declares on Italy!
We lose Silks. Inca wants too much to renew the deal, so I let it slide.
Quebec riots. Ugh, I thought I'd adjusted it.

1872 AD:

Trading time.
Germany gets Communism for 330gpt+290
Scandinavia gets Motorization for 170gpt+180
Austria-Hungary gets Motorization for 140gpt+200
Poland gets Economics for 40gpt+130
S Africa gets Industrialization for 25gpt+170 (a steal, but hey, better us than someone else)
Australia gets Steel in exchange for Silks. Why am I suddenly thinking "Silksteel"...? :D
France gets Bastion Fortifications for 24 gold.
Persia gets Motorization for Tobacco, 230gpt+195
Nubia gets Gems for 12gpt + 8

IBT S Africa warns us about an explorer. We apologize.
Mongols also warn us. We will remove our forces immediately.

1873 AD, T260:

Ships and Adventurer explore. Workers work. Soldiers train.

Trading has been disappointing, with the AI seeming to prefer chasing our research path rather than pick up Marine Engineering.

sg_00_1350AD.jpg

Attachments

• LK165-1873AD.SAV
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Got it

Good to see we learned a few techs in 4 turns and not at 100% research. :thumbsup:

My personal preference would be to build Tanks and not build any more Hotchkiss.

Are we going to try for Hover Dam and free Power Plants?

Since, Airports (1000 shields) are good for pre-builds we should not build 1 in any of our top shield producing cities.

Top Bottom