LK168, Greece, Sid Attempt

End of spy campaign tech tree report.

1844 AD (0)
We have the #1 city count with 38. I can't believe Britain has 32. We own a mere 7.4% of land as of now.

What is weird is our rep is only partially broken. Britain will still trade us for GPT. Poland doesn't trust us.

I sign a peace treaty with Maghreb giving them $2173/T and coffee for $39034. Do I sense a dirty trick coming up? :devil: :devil: :devil:
A spy arrives in Maghreb attempting to steal technology. The first attempt simply isn't caught. The second attempt works, and we acquire mass production.
I give mass production to Spain for improved ammunition.
I give mass production to Britain for marine engineering and $718. The game hangs for 30 seconds or so after this trade.
The spies make a third attempt and acquire early tanks.
I give early tanks and $6143 to Britain for dreadnaughts.
The spies make a fourth attempt and acquire electricity. I've run out of trading partners. Now I am starting to get annoyed, as I need a new war to recover our GPT.
The spies make a fifth attempt. I can't believe another immediate steal works. We now have fascism.
The spies make a sixth attempt. The Maghreb declares war on us. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I reset the luxury rate to 20% and science back to 70%.
I give Britain electricity for $6270 and $310/T.

I start upgrading vet dragoon to early armored car.

Our people are so happy with all the new technology that they begin to revolt.
(IT) India appears to be mostly retreating.

I kill India: 1 enslaver: (1-0)
Our people want to build super dreadnoughts and great refinery.

UGG - Mongolia declares war on us due to an MPP with Maghreb. I have no idea why this tripped, since we haven't hit any Maghreb territory. Looks like all the new tech steals came with a price.

I'm still playing, but for those curious about the details I how pull it off.

I'm still playing, but for those curious about the details I how pull it off.
:yup: I was curious. :thanx:

Mongolia declares war on us due to an MPP with Maghreb. I have no idea why this tripped, since we haven't hit any Maghreb territory. Looks like all the new tech steals came with a price.
I checked the trade screen from Greebley's save and at that point it time, the Mongol's do not have an MPP with any civ. Also, the Maghreb have only one (1) MPP and that is with Italy/Rome. India does not have any MPPs.

Could it be that the Mongol's just decided to declare war on us? :confused:

Re: low shield cities -

Sparta has 41 shields right now -- 45 with a Power Plant, by my calculations. That's good for 2-turn Infantry
It will take 2 forest+mine+rail tiles to hit 63 for 2T armored cars.
4 improved tiles to hit 81 for 1T infantry.
8 tiles to hit 117 for 1T armored cars.

Thermopylae is in the same boat. Knossos and Argos only have 11 base shields, so it'll take a third improvement to catch up with the others.

Mycenae is more interesting for improvements: with Dockyard and 3 mines+rails, it can hit 24 base shields. Angkor is similar.

Putting all that together, I think @Jersey Joe 's point about worker turns is a good one. We can get some modest gains with a tile here or there, but we just don't have the Steamrollers to manage a lot of forestry.

Nice trading. Be aware the real danger is sometimes the AI won't declare war leaving you in a bad position. I wouldn't try if you are average or strong vs an AI (in terms of military/power).

I agree it will take a while for trees to matter. However, I don't know that we need tanks until we attack Spain which is also a while.

I do agree we need more steam rollers. Note that more trees allows larger cities to build steam rollers faster, so trees early in largest cities + steam rollers can get us more rails in the long run.

Alternatively we could go for a civ with a lot of money next so we can afford rushing steam rollers.

1846 AD (1)
I ship Arabia saltpeter for $78/T.

The assault on Delhi begins. I kill 3 musketeers and 1 pike. (5-0)
I gain $15. It gets an instant culture bomb.

I kill India: 1 pike, 1 crossbow, 2 spears, 1 ratha, 1 enslaver and 1 musketeer. (12-0)
I gained 1 artist and 1 supply shipment.
(IT) I kill India: 1 elephant. (13-0)
The first stray fast Mongolian units arrive.
We are now communist.
The Maghreb are building Theory of Relativity.

1848 AD (2)

I kill India: 1 musketeer. I lost 1 elite cuirassier and 1 elite hussar. That was a very demonic musketeer. (13-2)
I kill Mongolia: 3 golden hordes and 1 cavalry. (17-2)
(IT) A large amount of Mongolia troops cross the border. I'm going to need to create a distraction for them.
I kill Mongolia: 2 mounted units. I lost 1 dragoon. (19-3)

India wants to talk. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cruiser project is completed. Athens will be busy for a while. It still needs to build 5 year plan, and several other things.
Bengal flips back to India. :mad: :mad: :mad:

1850 AD (3)
I can tell it is getting late game. Civ3 started acting goofy, and I had to close the game to restart it. This happens to me once and a while and it is always late game.

It is marginal, but I give Arabia electricity for $830 and $150/T.
Spain is better for electricity giving us $621 and $259/T.
I sign an MPP with the Inca giving up corporation for $38 and $9/T. Having a future enemy fight a current enemy really helps us. In addition, I hope it distracts Mongolia enough to let me concentrate on India. Mongolia has fast units, so they are much more dangerous than India.

The assault on Madras begins: I kill 3 musketeers. (22-3)
I gain $1 and kill some ships in port. It gets an instant culture bomb.

With how many nearby Mongolia units there are, I can't go after more than Indian city a turn.

Australia gets marine engineering for $200 and $150/T.

I kill India: 9 pikes and 8 crossbows. (39-3)
I kill Mongolia: 1 horse archer. (40-3)
I lost 1 armored car. (40-4)
I gain 2 artists. I am disappointed this is all I got. That included a lot of leader fishing, and enslaver attacks.
(IT) Arabia declares war on Korea.
Most of the Indian units continue to retreat. However, there are some stacks of junk heading toward our cities.
The Inca declare war on India and Mongolia.
The diversion worked, as most of the Mongolian troops turned toward the Inca.
Maghreb declares war on the Inca.
The Inca kill a handful of Mongolian troops.
The Poles are building International Telephone Corp.

I lost: 1 infantry. (40-5)

1852 AD (4)
I give Arabia early tanks and $6568 for flight. This tech has us tied for the tech lead of the civs we can see.

Way Overdue Dragoon arrives. Vientiane gets a rushed factory.

The assault on Bombay begins. I kill: 4 musketeers. I lost 2 armored cars. (44-9)
I gain World Religion Hinduism. It gets an instant culture bomb.

I kill India: 1 musketeer, 14 pikes, 12 crossbows and 1 MDI. I lost 1 early tank that tried to blitz 2 pikes. (80-10)
I kill Mongolia: 1 Asian rider, 1 cuirassier and 1 golden horde. (83-10)
I gained 2 artists.
(IT) I killed India: 1 elephant, 1 musket, 1 crossbow, and 1 enslaver. (87-10)
I lost 1 musket. (87-11)
Mongolia took a city from the Inca. :eek: :eek: :eek:
The number of Mongolian units is crazy large. I took several minutes to watch all the units move.
I am so glad I got them fighting the Inca. I would have been forced to make peace with India to concentrate 100% versus them.
Maghreb completes Theory of Relativity.

1854 AD (5)
Pike Killing Dragoon arrives. Mycenae gets the great refinery rushed. The city is not great at the moment. Once dockyards are built, and those plains tiles are mined, it will be a nice city.

The assault on Karachi begins. I kill 3 musketeers. (90-11)
I kill some ships in port.

I kill Mongolia: 1 pikes. (91-11)
I kill India: 1 elephant, 3 musketeers, 6 pikes and 4 crossbows. (105-11)
The enslavers continue to fail to gain workers. I gain 1 artist.
(IT) Mongolian troops turn back to us. :(

I'm still playing. I just wanted to post some of the logs.

Re: MPP - It occurs to me our lone boat might have been in Magreb territory. It was passing some civ, but don't remember who or if it went around. It would make sense that it was Magreb and was just inside in which case we just got unlucky. It was heading toward Germany.

1856 AD (6)
The assault on Jaipur begins. I kill: 2 musketeer and 2 pikes. I lost 1 armored car. (109-11)

[End of session 1]

I kill Mongolia: 1 horse artillery, 6 golden hordes, 3 Asian riders, and 2 cavalry. (121-11)
I kill India: 4 pikes and 4 crossbows. (129-11)
I lost: 2 lawyers (to pikes, what a crock), and 1 armored car. (132-11)
This is extremely frustrating, as we really need artist to deal with the new city captures.
I finally get a new worker from an enslaver.
(IT) After killing the nearby stack, and pouring defenders into the target city, Mongolia turns back around toward the Inca.

We get hit with another flip. Bombay goes back to India.

Maghreb is building International Telephone Corp.

1858 AD (7)
India put units on the rail leading to Bombay.

The assault of Bombay begins. I kill 1 pike. (133-11)
I gain $0.

The assault of Kolhapur begins. I kill 3 musketeers. (136-11)
I gain $0, and kill some ships in port.

The assault of Indus begins. I kill 1 musketeer and 1 pikes. (138-11)
I gain $0.

Musketeer Killing Dragoon arrives. Napata gets a rushed factory.

I give Austria military tradition for a marginal $180 and $103/T.

I kill India: 1 musketeer, 1 elephant, 9 pikes, 2 archers, 7 crossbows and 2 spears. (160-11)
(IT) Knossos was hit by a propaganda campaign.

1860 AD (8)
I ship free artistry to Persia to get our wine supply back.

India once again is blocking our rail lines.

Ultimate Enslaver arrives. Da Nang gets a rushed factory.
Dragoon to a leader arrives. Provadia g gets a rushed factory.

Maghreb will talk peace. I send them $2,888/T and gems for $52404.
I attempt to plant a spy and succeed. My first steal attempt fails.
Thanks to all the new cash I rush some steamrollers in cities working undeveloped tiles. We need a ton more of these to get the tiles developed.
Poland will give us subs for $21,190. However, at this point I would rather have cash to rush more buildings and steamrollers. City and tile development is out biggest issue. Normally by this stage of the game we have multiple cities fully developed. I don't feel we have any city fully done yet.

I kill India: 27 pikes, 4 MDI, 2 longbow, 9 musketeers, 10 crossbows, 1 elephants and 1 siege crossbows. (214-11)
I lost: 3 armored cars. (214-14)
There are still Indian troops left. I ran out of healthy attackers.
(IT) Aztecs and Arabia sign an MPP.
Italy and Maghreb sign an MPP.
Arabia declares war on Russia.
Aztecs declare war on Korea.
Korea declares war on China.
The wars are getting crazy. :crazyeye:
Poland completes International Telephone Corp.

1862 AD (9)
Defective Enslavers arrives. For how bad they have done for generated workers, the name feels right. Moroe gets a rushed factory.
First Early Tank arrives. Buhen gets a rushed factory.

I kill India: 9 crossbows, 1 longbow, 1 siege crossbow, 1 musketeer, 7 Tulwar warriors and 8 pikes. (241-11)
I lost 1 elite horse artillery. (241-12)
I gained 1 worker and 1 monk.
(IT) South Africa and Arabia sign an MPP.
South Africa declares war on Korea.
Arabia declares war on Poland.

1864 AD (10)
The assault of Punjab begins. I kill 2 musketeers. (243-12)
I gain $0. If I calculated correct, a culture bomb will get access to more of these icy cities.

The assault of Hyderabad begins. I kill 2 musketeers. (245-12)
I gain $0 and destroy some ships in port.

The assault of Dacca begins. I kill 2 musketeers. (247-12)
I gain $0 and destroy some ships in port.

I've finally located some Indian workers. I get 5 of them. I'm hoping the others will hide in the city to capture another 3.

I give Spain dreadnoughts for submarines.

[End of session 2]

Last edited:
We have no aluminum. However, we will get one from the icy Indian city.

The end run of India to not fight their troops failed. There just weren't enough offensive units to take them out fast. I've made good progress against them, but have spent too much time killing troops.

We badly need more steamrollers.
I DON'T want to build steamrollers until after cities get hospitals unless the city is working multiple undeveloped tiles. The game feels a lot worse that our typical for spare food. The ability to build settlers isn't that far away. We lack the typical junk cities to rush settlers from. In this game, we still badly need settlers to build new cities. It is much easier to claim territory via builds, than to capture it.

A good chunk of our troops are setup to take the last two icy cities. I saved Bengal and Lahore for last as that is where all the Indian troops are coming from. Indian will be gone in a handful of turns. After that, the tough battle for Mongolia begins. I think we need one turn after the fall of India to start the campaign to give the troops rest time, and get all workers available for combat rails.

Top Bottom