LLL1 - The faithful servants of the Mushroom Cloud

0) -30: MM Pyongsong to get a temple quicker. Switch Pusan to Mausoleum because it can be gotten next turn, and Seoul starts Sun Tzu because it can get Sun Tzu 10 turns quicker.

1) -10: Pusan Mausoleum-->lib. Learn lib, start engineering. Several cities switched to libs. Ulsan switched to temple, we need culture to avoid flip by Egypt. Ulsan already had too many shields to switch to lib. Worker joins Pusan. There are some uninhabited islands we can colonize if we can get some galleys up.

2) 10: Hyangsan lib-->galley. Sumeria picks up engineer. Gil wants mono and monarch for engineer. I decide to hold off. Gil has no money. Is there any particular reason we are building the FP in Manpo, so far from the capitol?

3) 30: Wonsan lib-->settler. Ulsan temple-->galley. Taejon harbor-->lib. Switch Manpo to lib, done in 1.

4) 50: Pyongyang lib-->galley. Manpo lib-->court. Pusan lib-->FP. Pusan is now@ 10spt.

5) 70: Trade Gil mono for engineer straight up. Trade Cleo mono for 42 + 23/turn. Trade mono to Dutch for 19 + 2/turn. This allows us to speed up research. At this rate Education will be learned before the GLib is finished.

6) 90: I spoke too soon. The French got Lit on their own and are starting on it.

7) 110: Nothing much here.

8) 130: Wonsan settler-->worker. Pyongyang galley-->settler. Nampo market-->pike. Cheju harbor-->lib.

9) 150: Getting settlers ready to load up on galleys.

To do list: Colonize uninhabited isles. When invention comes in, switch Seoul to Leonardo.

I think we were building the FP in Nampo because it was supposed to be such a good production or commerce city..

Edit: Oh, and I have it and will play tommorrow morning.

Preturn: MM Manpo from taxman to scientist to get invention 1 turn sooner.
Turn 1: Hyangsang: Galley->Settler(It needs an aqueduct something bad, but that'll have to wait until colonization is over.)
Wonson: Worker-Settler(Also needs an aqueduct soon, it has a huge food surplus so I'm using it for colonization purposes.)
Dutch Build the Collosus, French start GLB
Send a settler and a warrior up towards one uninhabited island. I want to send at least one settler onto the Sumerian lands, but I just don't know if it is worth it...
Turn 2: Pyonyang: Settler->Aqueduct
Ulsan: Galley-Settler. Probably not the best decision, but it's a shorter route than from our main island. I want to get that middle island settled before it's too late. Egypt and Sumeria are also building the GLB. Another Settler pair leaves Hyangsang for middle Island. We're also starting to run a progressively worse deficit. I'm going to see if I can put a number of our towns on the road to becoming cities for the extra unit support.
Turn 3: Pagem: Harbor-Market Place. Kaesong: Harbor-Courthouse.
Also MM Cheju so it grows faster with a library coming later. At that point it was stuck at size 3 and only producing 2 beakers, the library would've been a waste.
Turn 4: Taejon: Library-Courthouse.
I look at our neigbors and I see that the only one without Feudalism is the Sumerians. I don't like giving techs to our biggest rival, but if we don't, someone else will. In exchange for feudalism we get 12 gpt, a luxury, and some gold. We're no longer running a deficit.
Also, I notice that France is the only one without engineering. The give us two more luxuries for it! Now we have invention due in 6 instead of 12 and a surplus of 20 gpt a turn.
Turn 5: Wonsan: Settler-Market place
Turn 6: Pyonsang: Library-Courthouse. Another Settler pair heading towards middle island. That makes three in total.
Turn 7: Inchon: Harbor-Courthouse.
Turn 8: ...I might've messed up. Egypt demanded incense, and just out of habit I denied them. They declared war, they're our nearest neighbor. I'll upgrade one or two of our warriros on the coastline to fend off any landers. Haeju Founded on Middle Island. Rush a barracks on Iron Island so I can upgrade our warriors.
Turn 9: Ulsan: Barracks(Rushed)->Courthouse Again.
I think I played an extra turn or two, so I stopped at what I thought was 9. Sorry if I messed up turn order.

With the war with Egypt, I'm not particularly worried. We have a shot of sinking any of their galleys before they get to us, and if they do get to us we can hit them with MI. Invention is due next turn, and the rest of the world has chivalry. I'm not sure what we should grab. There is also a settler on the middle island, a city, and a second settler on the way. On the mainland, there is another settler waiting to be taken to Middle Island.

Edit: Added save, sorry about the name not being LL1

The FP should be placed in a quality city and possibly in the center of the realm. This might take time, but in the end it pays off, and this game will be lasting long enough.

Hey, what's the lineup look like? Am I up? :hmm:

Edit: We have 16 warriors. I'd like to disband about half of them, certainly the regulars. The vets are maybe upgradable, in case we get in trouble with Egypt, but most of them aren't doing anything except eating 2gpt apiece. Once the FP is done in Pusan, that city can bang us out a bit more military... Also, we don't have enough workers. Wonsan is building market, and I think I'd like to switch that to harbor, then get a worker factory out of it. Pusan can be at a strong size 12 in something like 15 turns...

Uhm..Actually, yeah, I stole your spot? :confused:

I'm not sure why, I think it was because I was going to take DBears spot when we thought he wasn't going to play. Don't know why, but I messed up the order a bit.

Sorry.

Oh hey, no problem, all in the name of keeping the game moving. Sorry I got confused and caused a delay...

I'll play it right now and do as I mentioned. :)

Preflight (290AD)
Disband 3 warriors, and shuffle some others for disbanding next turn.
(I) Get invention, start theo.

T1 (300AD)
Everyone else got invention, too! Aw, shucks. :sad:
Disband 3 more warriors.
Found Taegu, get barbs from hut.
Lots of units on automove??? Ok, let's see where they're going...
It costs us Incense and 8gpt to renew spices deal with Willie, I do it but I don't like it.
Sell invention to Sumeria for 105 bucks.
Unit costs are down to 24gpt now, much better for a builder game.
(I) zzz

T3 (320AD)
(I)

T4 (330AD)
Found Chinje
(I) zzz

T6 (350AD)
(I) Theo --> edu
Egyptian galley shows up

T7 (360AD)
I sink the Egyptian galley, and then make peace, getting 23g out of the deal.
War happiness is gone, so Seoul gets a scientist. Sistine in 8 turns.
(I) zzz

T8 (370AD)
Theo to Willie for Chiv, 57g, and 46gpt. I know this creates a slight chance we might lose Sistine to a cascade, but our prebuild seems solid, and this trade allows us to research at 100% at -4gpt.
(I) zzz

T9 (380AD)
(I) Barb kills warrior in Haeju and takes 6 g, heh.

T11 (400AD)
Start palace prebuild in Pusan; its market just finished.

Ok, that's it for me. The Pusan prebuild is for Cop's, should be able to get 400s in less than 20 turns.

Willie just got gunpowder, we get edu next turn. I suggest we keep moving along the top of the tech tree. Maybe aim for Shake's in Seoul? We are researching at a good clip. Our core is going to want unis after their current builds, although feel free to swap the current MI builds to uni.

We have one more settler about to found, but none building, since we're working on so much infra. Man'po can still switch to one without loss, maybe we should get a few settlers out of there instead of the 'duct.

Keep building workers in Wonsan -- we have 16 cities and only 13 workers, and we'll need two more to merge into Pusan very soon. Pusan is a monster of a city.

our land
the save

Edit: One of these, too...

Roster:
Lullaby - on deck
DBear --
Mach -- just played
Aegis Shield -- got eager to play and swapped with yours truly
Minute Man -- UP

Copernicus and Newton should be in the same city, I suggest Pusan, it seems to have a bit more gold production than even Seoul. If not shakes, then what shall we do with our other high production city?

Yes it would be, but Magellan's is commercial and will trigger our GA with Newton. I thought we were gonna avoid the commercial wonders. Also can we even build Magellan's in Seoul? It's on the big lake, not the ocean.

But if it's possible and we're cool with the GA, then go for it. :)

If ya'll don't think shakes is worth it, then military is fine, we can use some. Uni first, though.

And shall we get into demo? I'd imagine our economy will be better in demo, but I'm not sure it's worth the lost turns in anarchy. What gov do we want in the endgame? I've never done communism before...

We won't capture many cities, so Commie would be of less use than Fascism, I think.

Staying in Republic might get hard.

OK. Build a round of uni's and beef up our military a bit. Got it. Hopefully I can get this played this evening.

I don't think there's much point in going for Shake's either.

Democracy has slightly less corruption than Republic, but IMO it's almost never worth researching two otherwise useless optional techs, plus another round of anarchy, to get to it. We should just stick with Republic until the late game.

We almost certainly are going to want another government when we go AW, though. I was originally thinking we'd want Communism, but since all the cities we'll be capturing will have been nuked, it might not be worth trying to make them productive. So Fascism might be better. But we have plenty of time to figure that out.

Pre-flight: Mostly, everything looks pretty good. We do have a few relatively productive cities building courthouses; change a couple to aqueducts (we can use the unit support) and a couple to markets. We will want courthouses eventually, but there are more useful things to build now.

Given that we've got the northern island halfway settled, I think I'll keep building settlers until we have the whole thing. I'd hate for, say, France to found a city there and start flipping our cities. It's not great land, but we need all that we can grab peacefully.

In 410, Education comes in. Astronomy ordered up, due in 6.

Unis are an interesting question. We need them, but we need military, too. So I'm going to let the MI's finish. Hopefully Seoul can take over the military duties soon (though we could use a cathedral there, too...).

In 440, we finish the Sistine Chapel. :dance: Now if we only had any cathedrals, we'd be set. Seoul orders up...a library. :hmm:

Apparently some deals just expired, because we lost our sources of dyes, ivory, and silks. We really do need those luxuries. And Gunpowder has been spreading, so hopefully the price has gotten reasonable. So it looks like it's time for a round of trading.

No point in hoarding Theology now, so I sell it to Sumeria for dyes and some pocket change. As much as I hate to trade techs for luxuries, the AI civs don't have much else to give us, so I trade Joan Education for ivory and silks. Hopefully we can build some cathedrals in the next 20 turns and not be so dependent on foreign luxuries.

The AI civs must be researching Education, because I can't get anybody to trade me Gunpowder for it straight up. The best I can get is Edu + 75 gold to William for Gunpowder. And, naturally, we have no saltpeter on our continent. Or Iron island. Or the northern island. Where are all the resources this game?

In 450, Egypt builds Sun Tzu's. France cascade-builds Leo's.

In 470, Astronomy comes in. Research set to Banking. Our prebuild in Pusan changed to Cop's, due in 14.

In 480, the Netherlands develop Chemistry. We might want to trade for that in a few turns so we can research Physics and head for Newton's.

In 490, Sumeria builds Knights Templar. Maybe we should think about beefing up our defenses...

I kept Wonsan as a 2-turn worker factory, and recommend continuing this. We need workers, especially on the two islands. I didn't really understand why we were keeping so many forests around (most of our cities, especially the half-tundra ones, need food, not shields), so I cut some of them down and worked on getting irrigation out to the cities that needed it. That's mostly complete, so we can probably start shipping workers to the islands.

I also strongly recommend some happy buildings, since the price for all the luxes we're importing is just going to go up. Seoul can probably use a cathedral when its university finishes, Pusan perhaps when it finishes Cop's (or maybe go for Newton's first?), and the other cities when they grow a little more. Do we want to think about going for Bach's Cathedral if Music Theory turns up soon?

Be careful about trading Astronomy - the Great Library hasn't been built yet, so we could lose Cop's to a cascade.

Top Bottom