Load savegame times - are they long because Sean Bean yabbers on?

Mr_V

Warlord
Okay, not to boast, but I purchased the new PC relatively recently, and it's a fairly nippy machine. i7 Skylake CPU, 16 gigs of RAM, GTX 970.

And yet it still takes a faiiirly long time to load the saved game. You save the game, pop back to quick menu or desktop or send an email, do load game, and bloody hell, it takes, what, 40 seconds? It takes less time to START the game.

But then, did you notice how the button "Continue Game" becomes visible and active exactly when Sean Bean finishes talking "Oh mighty Cleopatra, you are the wise queen of Egypt and blah blah blah blah"? Is it possible that the game actually loads up in less time but Firaxis is making us wait until Sean finishes the monologue? :)

Don't get me wrong, Sean Bean is a good choice - better than Leonard Nimoy in my view, it's just that... is it really necessary to listen to the introducion on every load game? :D You start a game, you hear it once, good, sweet. Every time you load a game? A bit excessive, Firaxis. I'd prefer a quicker load game time.

It's not because of Sean Bean, it's because it takes a while to load a civilization game. The narration and music is there to distract you while its loading, to make you forget that the computer is sitting there, doing nothing for a few minutes.

Loading a game and starting a game can take a while, yes, but in my experience turn times aren't too bad. I'm fine with making that trade off, I only have to start or load a game once per session.

For me, I was waiting for the map to load up onto the screen from across the room, and didn't notice the "Begin Game" button appear. D'oh!

There is also a bug with windows defender that causes the load screen to take forever and ever. You have to exclude the Civ6 folder from windows defender.

It's not because of Sean Bean, it's because it takes a while to load a civilization game. The narration and music is there to distract you while its loading, to make you forget that the computer is sitting there, doing nothing for a few minutes.

I just found it a bit suspicious that "Continue Game" button becomes visible and active exactly when Sean Bean finishes the story.

I have a new comp and experience this as well. It's so bad I alt tab and come back to the game without loading it up

You save the game, pop back to quick menu or desktop or send an email, do load game, and bloody hell, it takes, what, 40 seconds? It takes less time to START the game

Why not just alt/tab out instead of quitting and reloading just to send an email, etc?

Why not just alt/tab out instead of quitting and reloading just to send an email, etc?
That's by the bye, I was just giving a random example. But I'm still intrigued if they have purposely put a time limit in the load game time, just to make the speech finish. I just did a skype screen share with a friend to play few turns, and his machine is much older than mine. However, Load Game takes the same precise amount of time. The speech about the civ is finished, and 2-3 seconds later, the "Continue Game" button is active. I'm finding it very difficult to believe that load game times on my and his PCs are identical unless they were manually set to be that.

There's no such time limit. In my case, the game's done loading by the time Sean's through half the leader's paragraph, so about 75% of the way.

There is also a bug with windows defender that causes the load screen to take forever and ever. You have to exclude the Civ6 folder from windows defender.
Well that's interesting. Do you mean Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI, or the installation folder? (Both? Something else?)

Last edited:
Mine finishes roughly 2 seconds before he finishes the first paragraph, takes about 8 seconds. so it's not timed. Game is saved to SSD.

You guys are all so lucky. I have the game on a good SSD, with a 6600k, and no joke this game has the longest load times I've ever experienced. After Sean's finished talking, I can go off and go to the loo or something. 8 seconds? It takes minutes for me.

yeah, the loading time and the turn time on this game is too long sometimes I forgot what my units are suppose to do...

I think it was their evil plan to stop reloading.

Of course there seems to be no random seed in this game, so reloading for goody huts seems pointless regardless. I only reload if I made a huge mistake somewhere. Like the time I realized creating missionaries from a city of mine that was converted to an opponents religion creates missionaries in his religion. Had to build a holy site elsewhere to get out of that situation.

I noticed a seed value at the bottom of the advanced setup screen, anyone know what that does?

In the mean time, I avoid reloading except for the gravest of errors on my part. It's just annoying when starting the game back up the next day. I use that time to make a sandwich or use the restroom (although using the restroom is faster than the load times).

Well that's interesting. Do you mean Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI, or the installation folder? (Both? Something else?)
Wherever the executable is placed (so your steamapps\common\Sid Meiers Civilization VI), it will ignore the files in that folder, and whatever those files do to other files (like load the game for instance). It sped up my game-loading time tenfold.

Top Bottom