Logistics & Stack of Doom

buck beach

Prince
I have been hit by a 136 unit (including some 41 Str 10 Gun Batteries) Korean stack of doom under Seondeok of Silla. The batteries include four generals (maybe 5 because list of units larger than screen). There are also 29 Grenadiers and over 50 horse type units plus others.

Opposing this wave I have a fortified city on a hill with 5 static gun emplacements and other superior upgraded units amounting to over 50 in and around the choke point city, avoiding garrisoning those that would be to severely penalized logistic wise. If all were located in the city I would have Supply Problems VI or minus 35% strength.

Getting to the point I can't begin to stop this assault. It cuts through me like butter. I am very suspect of the AI unit's Supply Problem level because the units appear to attack at full strength. I am trying to figure out how to verify this but also am looking for an suggestions as to how to combat this dilemma.

Hope this post makes sense.

Buck

I agree. Insanely huge stacks are ridiculous.
A hard cap for stacks at whatever the max Logistics is for that player would be appropriate if possible.

Disable "No unit cost scaling" option. This will increase cost of units when you build units of same type and AIs wont' be able to form super huge stacks so easily.

Disable "No unit cost scaling" option. This will increase cost of units when you build units of same type and AIs wont' be able to form super huge stacks so easily.

Not sure but I think I did this, at least my units appear to cost more each time I build others. The present cost of units are reflected eg # of turns;# of hammers (478%). The # of hammers and % are constant for each city.

Buck

I've seen 30-40 units in AI stacks,usually some unique units+irregulars+shock troops+some cavalry+5-10 siege units. Maybe it's because I'm playing on Noble. What difficulty are you playing on?

Last edited:
What map size? On big maps AIs can have 40+cities and then they spam tons of units fast. Or game got buggy. I've encountered a strange bug in one of my games. I tried to attack barb city and when I moved my stack next to it they suddenly produced more than 15 archers in one turn.

What map size? On big maps AIs can have 40+cities and then they spam tons of units fast. Or game got buggy. I've encountered a strange bug in one of my games. I tried to attack barb city and when I moved my stack next to it they suddenly produced more than 15 archers in one turn.

Hugh Map. Running Win 7(64) but am still topping out with crashes every other turn. Guess next game I will have to drop down the map size a couple of levels.

As the game goes later and later the AI gets really big stacks, but so can the human player. When stacks start to get so huge, you basically don't even consider the logistics penalty anymore, because it will almost always be better to have 1 big stack. It is very likely that in your situation it is best to move all of your units into the city to defend. If you are interested in testing this advice you move all your units into the city and see what happens, then reload your save and try playing that turn without moving all your units into the city.

As the game goes later and later the AI gets really big stacks, but so can the human player. When stacks start to get so huge, you basically don't even consider the logistics penalty anymore, because it will almost always be better to have 1 big stack. It is very likely that in your situation it is best to move all of your units into the city to defend. If you are interested in testing this advice you move all your units into the city and see what happens, then reload your save and try playing that turn without moving all your units into the city.

Thanks

Huge maps are unbalancing for SoDs, but in principle if someone has that much larger an army they should win. I'm not a believer in putting hard caps on unit stacking of any sort.

One big SoD is not the optimal way to play on the offense anyway, but it's tough for the AI to know how to gamble splitting an army off to attack lightly defended territory. If it could though, higher difficulties would be virtually impossible against a warmonger AI.

Top Bottom