Looking for programmer(s) to help combine 2 SDK mods

Psychic_Llamas

Wizard in the Making
Greetings all you programmers out there!

You might remember me from such threads as "Need help converting a mod to version 3.19" or "The Warhammer Mod" for BTS.

We (the Warhamme Mod Team) have been trying to get a tallented (or ammature, we arent picky at the moment :D) programmer to help us convet the Warhammer Mod* to version 3.19 of BTS!

However we came across a few issues in that we can't find the right source code files and all sorts of other dramas i wont bore you with. As such we have decided to rebuild the mod from scratch! this means we will be using Fall Further, an unofficial expansion for Fall from Heaven 2 (i hope you all know what FfH2 is ;)) as our new base (including source code) YAY FOR IDENTIFIABLE SOURCE CODE!

Now, you may be sitting there wondering 'what on earth does this crazy guy want me to do then?' well basically we have located another mod CHOCK FULL of features that we had in the old warhammer mod that is no longer 3.19 compatable. This mod is none other than the RevolutionDCM Mod (which is in fact 3.19 compatable (YAY FOR COMPATABILITY!) and I want YOU to help US to combine RevolutionDCM Mod to Fall Further to serve as our new foundation upon which to work. We would do this ourselves but Alas, none in our team are SDK or C++ Savvy and would die upon opening the source code files.

thus i leave this challenge up to YOU! thats right YOU!

Thanks in advance if you can help us out!

* For those of you that dont know what the Warhammer Mod is about, its a fantasy mod for civ 4 (based off of an old version FfH2) which adds tons of fiction races based on Games Workshops tabletop game Warhammer as well as many new and unique features. go check out our forum if your interested ;)

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but let me be the first to say, you're crazy. The people on this forum don't mind handholding or taking baby steps through the SDK to teach you how to do something, but they aren't going to do the work for you.

Ever heard the saying, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime?"

Well, this saying applies here. If someone does (miraculously) upload the changes you want, which is no small feat mind you, you'll just be screwed when Firaxis decides to surprise us with patch 3.2X. (It could happen, they created a lot of bugs in 3.19). And then, you'll just need someone to do all that work AGAIN. And, even if there never is another patch for Civ4, you'll have learned nothing by doing it this way. Then, the SDK will always remain, in your mind, some mystical force with great power, that takes great skill to alter; yet the opposite is true.

It's not that I don't want Warhammer to succeed, it's that no one is going to give you what you want. "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

Hopefully I haven't offended you too much, but that's my rant for the week.

Well, I think the best option for you here is to find a C++ coder to join the Warhammer team. While you will want to start with FF + RevDCM, I imagine you'll think of other features specific to WH that you'd like to include.

RevDCM and FF are two very popular mods, and so you might actually get someone interested in supporting a RevDCM+FF merge project separate from WH, but without a dedicated C++ coder on your team you'll be severely limited going forward.

That being said, I believe modding is an excellent way to learn coding. This is why I try to devote some of my own modding time to helping others learn to mod just as Afforess is saying. I'm really hoping that Firaxis will surprise us with a Civ5 that builds upon the same technologies (C++, Python and XML) so that most of the knowledge we've picked up will transfer over to the new platform. :goodjob:

It may be worthwhile for you to post on the FF subforum and ask if somebody has already done this. You are also more likely to find somebody who is already familiar with FF there, compared to here.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but let me be the first to say, you're crazy.

meh. i tried to use a bit of humour in my post but apparently my sense of humour is too crazy for you guys to see. i DID mention i was crazy did i not?

Hopefully I haven't offended you too much, but that's my rant for the week.

im not offended, just disheartened :( the basic gist of all this is that we are in desperate need of a C++ coder to join the team.

RevDCM and FF are two very popular mods, and so you might actually get someone interested in supporting a RevDCM+FF merge project separate from WH, but without a dedicated C++ coder on your team you'll be severely limited going forward.

oh trust me, weve been trying to find a willing programmer to join the team for eons. thus ive resorted to asking for help. and i figured both mods are very popular and a merge would be used by more than just warhammer itself.

That being said, I believe modding is an excellent way to learn coding. This is why I try to devote some of my own modding time to helping others learn to mod just as Afforess is saying.

i agree, i learnt how to mod XML and python on my own with a fair ammount of guidance from the forum. i have even looked into C++ but i failed epically at it and cant figure it all out. that, coupled with my very small ammount of free time led me here.

It may be worthwhile for you to post on the FF subforum and ask if somebody has already done this. You are also more likely to find somebody who is already familiar with FF there, compared to here.

this is a good point ill do that now.

overall thanks for the replies, albeit not the replies i had hoped for. but still, if anyone can help or wants to join our team PM me please.

Top Bottom