Looking for reports on Civ IV and new MBP w/GeForce 8600

I think you'll find there are already two posts saying that early indications are that it works.

I've just moved one of them here, and it's now immediately above your post.

I noticed that Apple has released an update to the graphics drivers (among other things) through Software Update for the new MacBook Pros.

Can anyone with one report on whether it helps with Civ IV crashing?

Hey Skippy,
I'm the guy who posted earlier about my problems with the 8600 based MBP. Well, with the patches I am no longer crashing. As a matter of fact I loaded one of my saved games that gave me almost immediate problems and it no longer crashes. I think we are in the clear!!!

I just placed my order for a new 2.4GHz 15" MacBook Pro.

Now to sell the old one...

Thanks everyone for this thread. I came here specifically to find out about this as I am very close to purchasing a Santa Rosa MBP with 128MB (wish I could do 256!). I'm glad to hear that the update fixed the problems some of you were having but I'm dismayed to see that Aspyr isn't supporting the 8600. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Mac team at World of Warcraft who work tirelessly to make sure just about every card and configuration is supported (even going into private email conversations for extra help). Aspyr seems pretty dismissive of their user base!

Nevertheless, I am excited that, should I get this laptop, I can run Civ 4 on it. (I won't be partitioning it and in any case even on my Boot Camped iMac I don't run the Windows version.)

but I'm dismayed to see that Aspyr isn't supporting the 8600.

I wouldn't get too worried about that comment. It more likely reflects a script monkey response from Aspyr support rather than a company position. For example, see Brad's response up above that suggests Aspyr will support new hardware as it is released - but this sometimes takes some time.

I don't think this one can be laid at Aspyr's door. Apple have apparently fixed a driver problem in this new hardware. That only happened two weeks ago, so we have to expect Aspyr to take a week or three to retest with this driver to convince themselves that they *can* now add the new MBP to the supported list. Then that news has to filter through the organization to finally reach the support desk.

Aspyr is like Microsoft. It's fun to hate them.

While WoW is based on a subscription model and there is an incentive for the Mac team at blizzard to stay on top of new machines, I've been impressed that they stay on top of new machines for Starcraft and Warcraft.

I'm also impressed with the way they're constantly working to fix game play/balance issues.

Blizzard is the Apple of the Mac gaming world.

It more likely reflects a script monkey response from Aspyr support rather than a company position.

Ah, I understand. I thought it was like Jack Emmert telling my fiancé when he asked about future Mac support for City of Heroes, "We will NEVER support City of Heroes on the Mac."

Aspyr is like Microsoft. It's fun to hate them.

I really don't, though. I'm a fan of theirs because of how much they've grown Mac gaming over the years, even through all the bugs and problems and whatnot. I was really happy with them back when I was playing all the Tomb Raider games on my my Mac. I just took that statement the wrong way.

In that case I definitely look forward to getting a MacBook Pro...if it turns out to be feasible in my classroom.

I really don't, though. I'm a fan of theirs because of how much they've grown Mac gaming over the years, even through all the bugs and problems and whatnot. I was really happy with them back when I was playing all the Tomb Raider games on my my Mac. I just took that statement the wrong way.

I'm not sure what you mean by the wrong way. If you're not saying sometihing insulting about me, you didn't take it the wrong way.

I'm saying there are some similarities in the way MS and Aspyr treat their customers.

I'm saying I'm disppointed at the pace the patches come out and how sometimes the patches create problems.

Like what MS has done for the PC industry, Aspyr has done good things for the Mac industry.

The only reason it is fun to hate them is because they could do do so much more ...

The only reason it is fun to hate them is because they could do do so much more ...

I agree. I've also been frustrated with their lack of response to blatant bugs in other games (don't have enough experience with Civ 4 to know about that). I remember contacting them once about some other game and a major issue I was having and they actually told me they'd gotten other reports but pretty much had no plans to do anything about it. Okayyy....

But I did take this:

"Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately at this time the GeForce 8600 video card is not supported for Civilization 4. I am sorry for the incovenience.

...to mean "you're SOL if you want to play Civ 4 on your Santa Rosa MBP." I didn't quite realize just how new the revision was since I haven't paid attention to laptop releases but it makes sense that various companies are being a little slow on the uptake with compatibility. (Although just saying "Sorry, no dice" with no "We hope to provide a patch soon" or whatever in there seems a little harsh.) Heck, even Apple isn't handing out much information about some pretty widely reported problems with the new MBPs.

I have a 15" macbook pro 2.4 santa rosa Nvidia 8600 with Civilization 4 installed on it. When I go into the graphic options and choose "High Quality" for everything, and leave anti aliasing at zero, the game runs nicely. As soon as I click antialiasing to anything above zero, the screen becomes an unreadable jumble of vector graphics. Also, when quitting and restarting the application, the title screen shows up, but starting or loading a new game freezes the machine (only with anti-aliasing on).

When I first bought the game, it wouldn't work at all. Now, after the graphics update, I can at least play, but without anti-aliasing.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Thanks,
Cody

Hello, welcome :wavey:

I realise you've updated MacOS, but it's not clear whether you have updated the game software.

Anybody else having similar issues?

Thanks,
Cody

Yes.

Provided I don't turn anti-aliasing on it will work fine. As soon as I turn it on it gives all sorts of problems. It can't load one particular saved game of mine as it will hang before it finishes loading. Also, I get an effect like this:

Yes, that's exactly what happens with my game as well (see screen in above post), however, I can't even recognize anything on the screen or even take a screenshot.

Also, I have downloaded all of the available updates that I could find. Rev C, I believe. I do not own the Warlords expansion.

Thanks,
Cody

Hmm. Sounds as though there are still problems - either with Apple's OpenGL driver for the new card or with Civ4. Either way, it needs to be reported to Aspyr in case they are unaware of it.

I expect it will trigger their Support team's usual knee-jerk defense mechanism, with a scripted response of "Civ4 doesn't support the xyz card. Please stop bothering us". But you never know, it might just get through to someone who can use the information.

My response from Aspyr support:
Greetings,

Unfortunately this may not be able to be fixed on our end. After going through the initial
crash logs the error appears to be in the first generation drivers that Apple is using for
these cards. Keep in mind that this title isn't officially supported on this hardware
as per the supported video cards list in the system requirements section. We are working
with Apple and doing what we can to resolve the issue on our end.

Thank you for your patience.

I have noticed comments at the Apple support forums of others having problems with the cards and anti-aliasing. So it seems like it might be a general driver issue that affects any programs that use anti-aliasing. With any luck a fix will be forthcoming - I didn't particularly appreciate what anti-aliasing does until I turned it off and I much prefer having the smoothed out graphics you get with it.

Developers were reportedly seeded OS X version 10.4.11 which could very well include improved drivers (though no one can be certain it's included). It usually takes several weeks for them to test out the update before it's then released to the general public. Stay tuned.

Like what MS has done for the PC industry, Aspyr has done good things for the Mac industry.

I do not follow your analogy. MS has completely stalled out the PC industry.

Brad Oliver impresses the heck out of me. I am delighted Apple picked him up. Aspyr, on the other hand, seems quite mundane. But I do not expect them to do more because they have consistantly been mediocere!

It is not Aspyr that has nothing but contempt for their Macintosh user base, it is Firaxis.

Apple has just released a Software Update 1.1 for 2.2 and 2.4 MBPs. It apparently includes driver updates.

After a quick test it would seem that while some things have changed, the game still locks up and graphics are still corrupted if anti-aliasing is on.

Has anyone else with a SR MBP tried out the update and noticed any improvements?

Top Bottom