Looks like Civ 6 is done: Kevin called April "final game update"

Gedemon points out a good thing to remember - the word "final" is a heavily contextual word. It's important to know what it is actually referring to in order to understand what it is saying. I'd say that it means final version of that file, rather than the final file to ever be released.

Still, despite holding that the title of the thread never was really evidence that Civ 6 was over, I think for other reasons that there will be no further major updates, but I'm really hoping they'll do a few patches and fix a few things before deciding to give it up for good.

Yeah I haven't played since the April update. I liked the balancing of civs, but really the things left broken (Monopolies mode, bugged policy card in Dramatic Ages) made me decide to just leave the game for a while, so I didn't even see the new trebuchet yet.

It's the time of year when I don't game much anyway, but I'm quite surprised Anthology has been released with these bugs. If this is the final version I doubt I'll go back to it later when my RL slows down again.

Now that the Trajan's July on the official Civ twitter channel is over, there could be a time for some announcement. Spinoff, patch or Civ VII.

I find it suspicious that the twitter is so active if there isnt anything on the horizon soon.

Reactions: PiR
Yeah I haven't played since the April update. I liked the balancing of civs, but really the things left broken (Monopolies mode, bugged policy card in Dramatic Ages) made me decide to just leave the game for a while, so I didn't even see the new trebuchet yet.

It's the time of year when I don't game much anyway, but I'm quite surprised Anthology has been released with these bugs. If this is the final version I doubt I'll go back to it later when my RL slows down again.
Civ VI was my introduction to the franchise, and honestly, while I think it is a fantastic game at heart, if they leave it like this, it'll be my last. It has a lot of potential and I enjoy most of the various parts, but some of the problems make it hard to justify paying as much as you do to have the complete experience. Aspyr has been a real problem as well.

Now that the Trajan's July on the official Civ twitter channel is over, there could be a time for some announcement. Spinoff, patch or Civ VII.

I find it suspicious that the twitter is so active if there isnt anything on the horizon soon.
Well, there was a hint that they'll be releasing BE2. We'll see.

They are probably waiting for Humankind to release first and see the reaction to that, as well as how the ideas are implemented in that game. It was first scheduled for May and then delayed till the 17th of August. I would bet we will have some news from Firaxis in September at the earliest. :)

Reactions: PiR
They are probably waiting for Humankind to release first and see the reaction to that, as well as how the ideas are implemented in that game. It was first scheduled for May and then delayed till the 17th of August. I would bet we will have some news from Firaxis in September at the earliest. :)

I really doubt that. I think a lot of people here are attributing to Humankind an unwarranted gravitas in regards to its impact on the 4x landscape.

I would be surprised if Civ 7 wasn’t already well into development at this point. AAA game development doesn’t turn on a dime; it involves dozens of people and is beholden to publisher timelines. No one has the luxury of sitting around and waiting to see how Humankind does. And really, there’s not much to wait for: there have been multiple playable demos of the game and plenty of people and fans have weighed in on how it’s shaping up.

And on that note, Humankind is not looking so hot. Every beta I’ve played felt worse and worse and as of the latest one, severe pacing issues remain. I went from 100 on the hype scale (when they announced it back in August of 2019) to maybe a 10. I canceled my preorder after the last beta. I also would bet that it’s going to be delayed yet again.

I really doubt that. I think a lot of people here are attributing to Humankind an unwarranted gravitas in regards to its impact on the 4x landscape.

I would be surprised if Civ 7 wasn’t already well into development at this point. AAA game development doesn’t turn on a dime; it involves dozens of people and is beholden to publisher timelines. No one has the luxury of sitting around and waiting to see how Humankind does. And really, there’s not much to wait for: there have been multiple playable demos of the game and plenty of people and fans have weighed in on how it’s shaping up.

And on that note, Humankind is not looking so hot. Every beta I’ve played felt worse and worse and as of the latest one, severe pacing issues remain. I went from 100 on the hype scale (when they announced it back in August of 2019) to maybe a 10. I canceled my preorder after the last beta. I also would bet that it’s going to be delayed yet again.

It won't be delayed. A developer posted as much on the G2G forum just the other day. You're right about Humankind overall, though. It was in very bad shape during the last beta and I'm not optimistic that the game will be good at release. Maybe in a year? Anyway, the marketing and hype is basically non-existent now. Nothing here, practically nothing on the official G2G forums, very few posts on Reddit and Twitter... I don't know. I guess they're just pushing soundtrack previews for now? The lack of marketing seems weird.

No more about HK, though. We'll get too far off topic!

Civ VI was my introduction to the franchise, and honestly, while I think it is a fantastic game at heart, if they leave it like this, it'll be my last. It has a lot of potential and I enjoy most of the various parts, but some of the problems make it hard to justify paying as much as you do to have the complete experience. Aspyr has been a real problem as well.

As someone who has played most of the other games in the franchise, please reconsider making this your "last" game in the franchise. Civ 3, Civ 4, Civ 5, and yes, BERT are all available on Steam for much *less* money than you have been paying for Civ 6 expansions and DLC. Each has its own set of quirks, features, and aggravations, and each has compelled me to play One. More. Turn.

As someone who has played most of the other games in the franchise, please reconsider making this your "last" game in the franchise. Civ 3, Civ 4, Civ 5, and yes, BERT are all available on Steam for much *less* money than you have been paying for Civ 6 expansions and DLC. Each has its own set of quirks, features, and aggravations, and each has compelled me to play One. More. Turn.

The franchise peaked at 4. A cheap PC and Civ4 is my next gaming purchase

I think that online multiplayer with mods really saves the day, I have some great games with CPL. It's a shame we don't have an AI for properly training before going live against humans. Very often games don't finish as they take too much time (more than 5 hours!!!), with a good AI you don't have that time constraint...

Notice also on steam forums how the 880 post "are your civ game crashing' has been locked without explanation. A post asking why has it been locked was also instantly locked.

Make of this what you will, but I have nothing more to say about 2k and firaxis.

EDIT: lol I just noticed that the 'crashes and more crashes' on this forum has also been deleted.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the 'crashes and more crashes' on this forum has also been deleted.
It wasn't deleted. It was just moved to a different sub-forum around ten days ago - Technical Support. It's main focus is to only detail misc. crashes and to provide helpful, technical advice on how to mitigate them.

Well, there was a hint that they'll be releasing BE2. We'll see.

What was the BE2 hint? I must have missed it.

What was the BE2 hint? I must have missed it.
This is frustrating. Someone responded to one of my posts predicting that the Twitter competition would result in a (possibly soft) announcement 9f further Civ content showing one of "his" Tweets saying something along the lines of having to expand his empire beyond the Earth.

Unfortunately, I can't find either. I thought it was this thread but it's apparently not. I can't remember the wording of the Tweet nor do I have Twitter (de facto, at least) so I can't find the actual Tweet. Frustrating. Sorry about that.

Edit: After typing all that, I found it:
Next Civ game most likely will be a fantasy game
Also, I apparently didn't look at the shared content, so could well not be a hint after all :s

Last edited:
This is frustrating. Someone responded to one of my posts predicting that the Twitter competition would result in a (possibly soft) announcement 9f further Civ content showing one of "his" Tweets saying something along the lines of having to expand his empire beyond the Earth.

Unfortunately, I can't find either. I thought it was this thread but it's apparently not. I can't remember the wording of the Tweet nor do I have Twitter (de facto, at least) so I can't find the actual Tweet. Frustrating. Sorry about that.

Edit: After typing all that, I found it:
Next Civ game most likely will be a fantasy game
Also, I apparently didn't look at the shared content, so could well not be a hint after all :s

Yeah that was someone posting a drawing, and FXS Twitter responding to that. Means nothing for a future game. It's like if I now made a drawing for Elvis from Civ 2 (or whichever one he was in) and they respond to that, and then we start saying a Civ 2.5 is in the works...

Rumour has it that Firaxis are working on something called CODA, described as an action game like XCOM but with Marvel heroes. I don't know if this precludes them working on something else at the same time.

I’m sure we’re going to get a patch fixing bugs at some point. The devs got some much-needed time off after NFP finished and I’m sure in the fall we’ll get a patch.

And like @pokiehl said, I’m sure Civ VII is in development already. That’s how AAA game development works.

I’d love to see them incorporate some ideas from Old World, which I think is really fun though it misses some of that Civ-level polish.

But first we need time to breathe. It’s going to be REALLY hard to go back to a smaller set of Civs. I don’t want to think about another mainline Civ game for a few years. Bring us that fantasy spin-off!

I really hope we get a bug fixing patch... There are also a few changes in the last (excellent) patch which are just plain annoying - the sea barb changes especially stand out for me.

It would surprise me immensely if civ7 was not in development. Looking back the NFP looks a bit like a way to not slow down release schedule thanks to covid and try out a different economic model for the next game.

Last edited:
Rumour has it that Firaxis are working on something called CODA, described as an action game like XCOM but with Marvel heroes. I don't know if this precludes them working on something else at the same time.

It does not preclude anything. They have multiple teams for the different IPs.

Top Bottom