Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Good

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Fair

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
I've played the mod with several civilizations, and I have to say it's good. It has a good feel to it, and it's really fun bashing dark riders with the Gandalf unit. The unitproducing improvements also add a lot to the gameplay. As for the units-could-be-chosen-more-appropiately issue I'm personally not bothered by it. It's really a good mod, and absolutely worth checking out!

Taalen said:
I have one minor suggestion for you to consider, regarding Shelob

As it currently is, Mordor can and will use the pass past Shelob to move troops, thus making the pass pretty difficult for our beloved little hobbitses... not to mention a human player with no sense playing Mordor surely depositing more defensive units there

So, I thought you might make Shelob belong to another 'evil' civ, so that Mordor cannot use the pass - as if they need to, Minas Morgul is just around the corner anyway, and Shelob will be the only obstacle in the pass (well, in that exact position anyway). Of course it's just my very personal opinion, but I'd be honoured if you like the idea. As for what civ to give Shelob to, I'd have to suggest Haradwath - Isengard is too easily wiped out, and thus Shelob would be destroyed, but the City of Corsairs is rarely invaded, and definitely not very early in the game, so Shelob would still be there no matter what

As I said on the other thread, great work you've done here. Just a little polishing around the edges and it'll be legendary instead of just excellent ;)
Actually, that would seem to go with the mainstream of the book. Shelob and Sauron weren't even allies. Sauron just used the fact that Shelob was there so he didn't need to go to extensive garrisoning to guard the pass.

I've just recently started getting into Civ 3 Scenarios, and this was one of the first that I tried. I absolutely loved it! I had great fun playing as Mordor, especially when I stumbled across Frodo, alone, just outside Shelob's lair. It was a simple job to dispatch him with one Uruk-Hai, then take the Ring back to my capital.

A few other observations...

* The Witchking was taken down early in the game by a Ranger. I would've thought he was a bit tougher than that (especially since no "man" could kill him!). Also, would be cool if he had a Fell Beast to begin with...

* Treebeard took down the Balrog, which I was a little surprised at, not the least because Treebeard's made of wood and the Balrog's a creature of fire ;)

* It's a shame the Fellowship can't be banded together, as I encountered several of them individually at various locations on the map. Boromir I took down with a Nazgul just outside Dwarrowdelf, while Gimli was busying himself with Orcs near Mirkwood. I never even saw Aragorn, Legolas, Merry, Sam, or Gandalf.

* I agree that Shelob shouldn't be a Mordor unit. Maybe an unplayable civ of her own, locked into an alliance with Mordor? Also, maybe let her move around a bit in the mountains (though not too far), but have her Lair as her civ's city?

* Speaking of Shelob, she was taken down early in the game by a single Gondorian cavalry unit. I would've thought she was a bit tougher than that!

More to come as I try out different civs :)

well, I don't know if this is possible, but

maybe you can group the bad guys together and the good guys together in lock alliance and put all the heros under one civ. So instead of building new units, the hero civ will be to get the ring to the mountain and the AI will play as the supporting roles to the player.

I mean to make it so it's more like the movie while the heros fight together.

I can't really explain very well.
Just a thought

Cloner4000 said:
well, I don't know if this is possible, but

maybe you can group the bad guys together and the good guys together in lock alliance and put all the heros under one civ. So instead of building new units, the hero civ will be to get the ring to the mountain and the AI will play as the supporting roles to the player.

I mean to make it so it's more like the movie while the heros fight together.

I can't really explain very well.
Just a thought

Would it be do-able if you made the Fellowship a playable Civ with just the hero characters as units (and in locked alliances with all the "good" civs)?

Great scenario. I just finished with a Gondor culture victory. Here are a few things I found during playing:

1) Workers cannot build roads in many plains squares. I can't find an explanation for this so I am assuming it's unintended. This was especially frustrating in trying to complete a transportation network into conquered Mordor cities.

2) Leader/Victory screen. Insults and bragging is not in proper context (i.e. winning civs complaining/losing civs bragging).

3) I did not realize that drafting would create unhappiness. Once I got past a critical point the city basically collapsed because there were no workers to collect food. You would think that after stopping the draft that the unhappiness would gradually wear off but that does not happen. Maybe this is a CIV thing in general... I don't know because I rarely draft during normal play.

4) I could not find Hard Clay in the Civilopedia.

5) Lots of things are still in the Civilopedia that do not apply: Wonders, City improvements, Worker Actions, and Game Concepts.

6) I thought the timing of the undead units spawning was spot on. Just in time to tip the balance back into my favor. Very satisfying.

Overall this was great fun. Great job! And if someone gets bent just because they don't like the character models then they just need to get a life ;-)

Actually it was intended for some plains not able to build roads do to some strategic reasons. And the drafting is a program that I cannot change or edit or I would already changed it. A lot of resources like lumber, hard clay, ect are not in the civilopedia, I adimt, I was lazy at that point and I wanted to play the game. But the reason hard clay is in the game is due to technical reasons for cities like helms deep and isengard. A lot of the odd things in the game are do to technical reasons for gameplay. But if you have any other questions please ask me because I want to make the revised edition perfect. Also I am going to go back and fix all of the errors in the civilopedia also.(that is the most boring part lol) And thank you for playing the scenario and putting your comment, words, and thoughts into it. Every comment can make the game ten times better so if you guys have any any ideas or thoughts please tell me. Also I am very interested in hearing everybodies stories when they played the game. It brings me great pleasure when I hear people enjoying my hard cumbersome work. Thanks and enjoy!

Also, everyone please go and vote the Scenario here:
Conquest of Middle Earth Poll

Just a thought... What if Shelob's pass was only accessible to Hobbits? That would allow you to keep her stats where they are so that a hobbit has a chance to kill her and other stronger units cant just take her out first. Or better yet, how about a Golem unit that must accompany any "good" unit using the pass. This would hold truer to the story as he was the only one who knew of the way.

Hmmm I like this mod but I has the problem that it's strabnge to play.
I played always with regizide. First time I played as dwarfs and did somehow a good job by capturing the mirkwood citites but than had an time out defeat :sad: (btw Gimli was killed in the first turn by a ringghost)
Problem was the empire Gondor was destroyed within the first ten turns and Rhohan followed three turns later. THis fact made it quite difficult to stand with the elven kings against the black hordes.
After that I tried two times to play as Gondor, just to try out how long I would be able to stand Mordor but I was always defeatet before I was able to build my second unit... :sad:
Hm the problem is on the one hand I'm not skilled enough to do better and on the other hand it's too realistic cause in my dwarf game exactly happened what would have happen if ring would not have been destroyed. (oa was this a horrible sentence...)
BTW it was real fun to fight against Mordor, but as Gondor Game is quite short....

Samez said:
Hmmm I like this mod but I has the problem that it's strabnge to play.
I played always with regizide. First time I played as dwarfs and did somehow a good job by capturing the mirkwood citites but than had an time out defeat :sad: (btw Gimli was killed in the first turn by a ringghost)
Problem was the empire Gondor was destroyed within the first ten turns and Rhohan followed three turns later. THis fact made it quite difficult to stand with the elven kings against the black hordes.
After that I tried two times to play as Gondor, just to try out how long I would be able to stand Mordor but I was always defeatet before I was able to build my second unit... :sad:
Hm the problem is on the one hand I'm not skilled enough to do better and on the other hand it's too realistic cause in my dwarf game exactly happened what would have happen if ring would not have been destroyed. (oa was this a horrible sentence...)
BTW it was real fun to fight against Mordor, but as Gondor Game is quite short....
You lost in 2 turns as Gondor? What did you do? I was able to last a really long time as Gondor, but then those Oliphaunts attacked and completely destroyed my supply lines....

Hey guys, if you guys are browezing and happen to find some cool or interesting graphics, units, leaderheads ect... please telll me so I can add them into the mod in the revised edition. I plan to release the revised version in October so please let me know if there are things I need to change that were not mentioned and graphics and such that would be good to add into the scenario. Just to keep terms with you guys I am planning on making a multiplayer edition and a Single player edition so if you guys have any ideas on stuff I can put into the scenario/mod please tell me. Thanks

Olorin0222 said:
An idea for Shelob: Since it is a scenario with pre placed units, why not make Shelob an immobile babarian unit? She ate enough orcs in her cave as well to merit it.

Knowing Civ3 AI, Mordor if played by AI would simply kill her off in the beginning

That's very true- all the AI's would send as many troops as they could spare to take care of her. Which would be quite crippling for the gameplay!

Downloading now.

Is it based on the book or on the movies?

Mr. Do said:
That's very true- all the AI's would send as many troops as they could spare to take care of her. Which would be quite crippling for the gameplay!

Well then, you could also make the Pass of Cirith Ungol impassable to orcs, so only Sam and Frodo can get through.

Unless the AI isn't smart enough to realize an immobile barbarian unit in a square you can't access poses no threat. And the AI just keeps a bunch of orcs circling around Shelob...

Olorin0222 said:
Well then, you could also make the Pass of Cirith Ungol impassable to orcs, so only Sam and Frodo can get through.

Unless the AI isn't smart enough to realize an immobile barbarian unit in a square you can't access poses no threat. And the AI just keeps a bunch of orcs circling around Shelob...

It's not, and it will :rolleyes:

Stupid AI....

Top Bottom