Lost Eden development thread

I just got a reply from Petek and he said that Oblivion's diplomacy texts are fine. Another win! :)

@bdanv
Haha great! Thanks for the support. :goodjob: I'm looking forward to seeing how people react to the release. At the very least, it should be a very different experience to SMAC and therefore a nice change of pace.

Being serious though, if the mod is liked by others and attracts more people here, then great. Haha maybe we'll get a "GOTM" for this one day? :lol:

Do you have an official Lost Eden map?

I think that the origin of those books is in Europe which would also make more sense.

Most likely.

I wasn't told that he left! (I was partially aware as you mentioned "when he comes back" or something). Ah well I'm sure that you'll keep me in the loop. I'm also sure that you noticed my request to shut the AI up... haha my friend gets soooo annoyed when playing. :lol:

He went on a planned vacation in July and hasn't shown up in any SMAC forum or Spellhold Studios, where he completed a major project.

Tying in somewhat with the above, I've always felt that it would be great if more diplomacy lines could be overwritten by factions. Oblivion and others could have a lot more character. :)

Which diplomacy lines are not in the text files?

Do you have an official Lost Eden map?
No I don't. Do you think I should make one? If so, what size and other considerations should I take into account?

He went on a planned vacation in July and hasn't shown up in any SMAC forum or Spellhold Studios, where he completed a major project.
Okay then, well let me know how he goes. :)

Which diplomacy lines are not in the text files?
A huge amount of the diplomacy is generic across the lot of them with buzzwords added for each faction. The only ones I have full control over are offering peace and offering blood truce. And even then they don't appear all the time if they want tribute or something.

An example (from Script.txt):
Code:
"$TITLE0 $NAME1. Our visions are compatible and our
interests convergent. Will you swear a {$PACTOFBROTHERORSISTERHOOD2}
with me that we may sweep all before us?"

"With great pleasure."
"Sorry, my plans dictate otherwise."
This could be changable by faction text files so that it reflected the personality of the speaker a little more.

No I don't. Do you think I should make one? If so, what size and other considerations should I take into account?

SMAC offers a standard and large size maps. I think it would be a good to create a large Lost Eden map and then condense it for the standard size.

Okay then, well let me know how he goes. :)

I will.

A huge amount of the diplomacy is generic across the lot of them with buzzwords added for each faction. The only ones I have full control over are offering peace and offering blood truce. And even then they don't appear all the time if they want tribute or something.

An example (from Script.txt):
Code:
"$TITLE0 $NAME1. Our visions are compatible and our
interests convergent. Will you swear a {$PACTOFBROTHERORSISTERHOOD2}
with me that we may sweep all before us?"

"With great pleasure."
"Sorry, my plans dictate otherwise."
This could be changable by faction text files so that it reflected the personality of the speaker a little more.

Nonetheless, you can create a customized script.txt (if you haven't already) :)

SMAC offers a standard and large size maps. I think it would be a good to create a large Lost Eden map and then condense it for the standard size.
Alright, well I'll give it a shot a bit later on then. :)

Nonetheless, you can create a customized script.txt (if you haven't already) :)
Haha caught there, I have tried to make things a bit fresh already. It's a bit hard when it has to be so general, but yeah I did work things a little. :)

With regards to artwork/nudity, I had some time to think today and thought that it might be a good idea to apply my normal rules (put very simply, it's things that should wear clothes do) for released stuff retroactively onto Lost Eden. Doing that would denudify human units/leaders as they normally wear clothes. Everything else would be unchanged as they are anthromorphised animals. Your thoughts vyeh? :)

I noticed the big post deluge! Good to see you catching up with everything. :D

Haha caught there, I have tried to make things a bit fresh already. It's a bit hard when it has to be so general, but yeah I did work things a little. :)

That sounds good.

With regards to artwork/nudity, I had some time to think today and thought that it might be a good idea to apply my normal rules (put very simply, it's things that should wear clothes do) for released stuff retroactively onto Lost Eden. Doing that would denudify human units/leaders as they normally wear clothes. Everything else would be unchanged as they are anthromorphised animals. Your thoughts vyeh? :)

I'm in favor. Clothing can help develop the characters.

I noticed the big post deluge! Good to see you catching up with everything. :D

I had some time this morning because *cough*someone*cough* hadn't responded. :)

I'm in favor. Clothing can help develop the characters.
Alrighty then. It'll be a case of loin cloths all round for the boys, but as a bonus I don't need to draw Lukas. I'm not sure if Toad is human enough to warrant a loin cloth. I'm going to go with no for now.

I'm also (for now) going to use the Sympathiser's slot as a Spy so we don't have a black Gravship thing. :p

I had some time this morning because *cough*someone*cough* hadn't responded. :)
Haha I can't help it if a friend rings me up and invites me out for 12 hours just as you reply! :lol:

I'm not sure if Toad is human enough to warrant a loin cloth. I'm going to go with no for now.

If he has human genitalia, he is human enough! :)

I'm also (for now) going to use the Sympathiser's slot as a Spy so we don't have a black Gravship thing. :p

What is the sympathiser?

Haha I can't help it if a friend rings me up and invites me out for 12 hours just as you reply! :lol:

Good for you.

If he has human genitalia, he is human enough! :)
Haha everybody has human genitalia. :lol: I was meaning that he has pink skin versus another colour. I'll leave it as it for now though as he's technically a mushroom.

What is the sympathiser?
The Squirtle Sympathiser, the 1/1/1 tier 1 squirtle unit.

Good for you.
Haha I was saying that's why I wasn't able to reply as quickly as I would like. :D

I've just finished the spy. I'll give the map a go today as well. :)

Not sure about the squirtle. (What do turtles have? :confused:)
I'm not sure what they have, but everything is drawn with human style genitalia.

When are exams?
One is this Saturday, two next week.

EDIT: I've made a start on the map. It's a bit hard though, trying to make realistic looking terrain.

I'm not sure what they have, but everything is drawn with human style genitalia.

Maybe some research into squirrels and turtles is in order unless you want to use human style clothing!

One is this Saturday, two next week.

Good luck.

EDIT: I've made a start on the map. It's a bit hard though, trying to make realistic looking terrain.

That is why it will be a good addition to a TC.

Maybe some research into squirrels and turtles is in order unless you want to use human style clothing!
Oh it's more a case of I just wanted the humans to be clothed. I don't mind the rest of the units/leaders running around naked as that's what was already happening; I thought that clothing humans would help.

Besides, where are they going to get clothes from? Leaves? Hair? :lol: Lukas' clothing looks pretty blonde/brunette too. :lol:

EDIT: To be clearer, I want the remaining nudity to stay. I clothed the humans as I think that's good common sense.

Good luck.
Thank you! I'm doing my best to study. :goodjob:

That is why it will be a good addition to a TC.
Sure! I've done one landmass so far, there'll probably be about 4 or 5. Placing landmarks will require skill to not overpower certain locations too! :D

Oh it's more a case of I just wanted the humans to be clothed. I don't mind the rest of the units/leaders running around naked as that's what was already happening; I thought that clothing humans would help.

Besides, where are they going to get clothes from? Leaves? Hair? :lol: Lukas' clothing looks pretty blonde/brunette too. :lol:

EDIT: To be clearer, I want the remaining nudity to stay. I clothed the humans as I think that's good common sense.

I agree with your common sense.

Sure! I've done one landmass so far, there'll probably be about 4 or 5. Placing landmarks will require skill to not overpower certain locations too! :D

I think it will be worth the effort. You are aware that you can name landmarks?

I agree with your common sense.
Thanks. :)

I think it will be worth the effort. You are aware that you can name landmarks?
Yes I am. It has been quite some time since I have made maps for SMAC. I was sure to start with a random map and then flatten it back to trench level though as I read that there apparently was a river bug or something.

Hehe I'll admit that I had a bit of a personal shock yesterday so today I have been pretty drained and consquently ended up doing things of a recreational nature. Sorry that I wasn't able to do more on the map! Ah well, I'll be right again tomorrow. :)

It has been quite some time since I have made maps for SMAC. I was sure to start with a random map and then flatten it back to trench level though as I read that there apparently was a river bug or something.

There is a problem if you start with the blank map in the map editor. Starting with a random map bypasses the problem.

Hehe I'll admit that I had a bit of a personal shock yesterday so today I have been pretty drained and consquently ended up doing things of a recreational nature. Sorry that I wasn't able to do more on the map! Ah well, I'll be right again tomorrow. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the personal shock. Recreation in your situation is more important than SMACX.

There is a problem if you start with the blank map in the map editor. Starting with a random map bypasses the problem.
I can't remember if I did it properly or not -- I hit create scenario in the main menu, and then generated a random map and manually flattened it.

I'm sorry to hear about the personal shock. Recreation in your situation is more important than SMACX.
Thanks for understanding. I better get to study though hey, an exam is tomorrow and everything and there's no time to waste. :lol: The world won't wait. :)

Anyway, I look forward to playing some Lost Eden next week. A study buddy is coming over for a combo study/gaming session. :)

Top Bottom