Lost Eden development thread

Hey there. :) Just saying that I am still alive--Uni started, and adjusting to that took a while. Also some other more urgent/less important projects took over my attention, and a few personal wobbles. Still, overall I'm making progress in life so yay. :D Hope you can say the same too.

I will let you know when some more Lost Eden progress is made. Probably some city graphic work, although I will try to get some recordings done in the evening soon. Once I get back into a more consistant timetable things will generally work out better.

The GOTM is wrapping up now, a winner will be announced soon.

Hey there. :) Just saying that I am still alive--Uni started, and adjusting to that took a while. Also some other more urgent/less important projects took over my attention, and a few personal wobbles. Still, overall I'm making progress in life so yay. :D Hope you can say the same too.

I am glad to hear from you. :)

As long as there is "some" movement toward a final release, everything is fine. I've seen too many projects which peter out. I hope we have made sufficient momentum over the last 21(!) months that LE will cross the finish line. :)

I am sorry to hear about the personal wobbles (although I am glad you are putting energy into Uni!) and I am happy you are making progress in life.

The weather continues to be mild and I am making progress in my life. I learned recently that the Alpha Centauri wikipedia article on which I spent a lot of time was awarded "Good Article" statue (a lot better than the rest of the Civ articles). I have to thank Nolelover for seeing it to the finish line when the direction of my life changed. My relation to Nolelover is similar to the relation that I have with you. I am very grateful that the general public can learn more about the game you and I love.

I have two online goals: the completion of LE and passing the torch for CGN (chuft has been active recently).

I will let you know when some more Lost Eden progress is made. Probably some city graphic work, although I will try to get some recordings done in the evening soon. Once I get back into a more consistant timetable things will generally work out better.

The first post was May 31, 2010. Perhaps we could shoot for May 31, 2012 for the gold release?

The GOTM is wrapping up now, a winner will be announced soon.

Is there more than one contender? :)

I am glad to hear from you. :)
Thank you. :) Yeah I miss how we used to chat about the life, the universe and everything. :lol: No big deal, as I am aware that you are transcending to normality. :D

As long as there is "some" movement toward a final release, everything is fine. I've seen too many projects which peter out. I hope we have made sufficient momentum over the last 21(!) months that LE will cross the finish line. :)
Wow I'm old haha. We have been doing this for a while now! :D

I will admit that when there's a playtester or two going it's a lot easier to keep some movement going, other than just the thing to do. I am nearly there as far as getting a sort of schedule going and managing my time to get things organised. I will keep you as informed as possible. :D

I am sorry to hear about the personal wobbles (although I am glad you are putting energy into Uni!) and I am happy you are making progress in life.
Yay. :D Yeah I am trying. Being a good man is hard at times, but thanks to God I do a pretty good job overall in spite of mishaps every now and then.

The weather continues to be mild and I am making progress in my life. I learned recently that the Alpha Centauri wikipedia article on which I spent a lot of time was awarded "Good Article" statue (a lot better than the rest of the Civ articles). I have to thank Nolelover for seeing it to the finish line when the direction of my life changed. My relation to Nolelover is similar to the relation that I have with you. I am very grateful that the general public can learn more about the game you and I love.
That's awesome yeah. :D A nice achievement for the work that you two put into it. :)

I have two online goals: the completion of LE and passing the torch for CGN (chuft has been active recently).
Hopefully you can find a suitable candidate for CGN. Most of the community that I am plugged into has floated over to AC2. :)

The first post was May 31, 2010. Perhaps we could shoot for May 31, 2012 for the gold release?
Mhm--it's a plausible goal. :) Really it comes down to me! :eek:

Is there more than one contender? :)
There are three now! :O

I will admit that when there's a playtester or two going it's a lot easier to keep some movement going, other than just the thing to do. I am nearly there as far as getting a sort of schedule going and managing my time to get things organised. I will keep you as informed as possible. :D

If there are three contenders for the LE GOTM, then you have three players who can give you feedback!

That's awesome yeah. :D A nice achievement for the work that you two put into it. :)

Now to get a final release of LE and the (uncensored) version on CGN!

Most of the community that I am plugged into has floated over to AC2. :)

What is AC2? (I wish it were Alpha Centauri 2.:sad:)

There are three now! :O

That's great.

Sorry to take so long replying man... I had a study break, but got sick in it, and it basically evaporated. Still, I am good now! It's been a bit easier to work on other projects due to the increased playtesters I have for it, hence some time has gone that way rather than LE. But I am resolute to see some progress on this mod!

If there are three contenders for the LE GOTM, then you have three players who can give you feedback!
Let's hope so. :) I have asked them to check it out and had some polite responses. Hopefully something develops soon.

Now to get a final release of LE and the (uncensored) version on CGN!
Let's do it. :cool: Haha I'll try to get some recordings done tonight--I am quite overwhelmed with trying to catch up with everything at this present moment but I'll try to do something as soon as I can.

What is AC2? (I wish it were Alpha Centauri 2.:sad:)
Alpha Centauri 2 is a SMAC community set up by Bdanv. :)

How are you proceeding? :) CGN going well?

Peking Duck? :) I have heard of the dish but have not tasted it. Still, I trust that it was pleasant and did not result in throwing up all over the carpet at 2AM.

It wasn't my birthday party, no! My birthday is the end of this month. :)

I have managed to finish the Rakis' replacement city (just need to find a landscape, but I'll do that after this post). I'll finish Oblivion's one as it's half done, and then leave replacing the cities and get back to more critical tasks so this thing can be finished.

Alas no, the GOTM players mostly dematerialised... They enjoyed the scenario, but didn't play the main mod. :(

Peking Duck? :) I have heard of the dish but have not tasted it. Still, I trust that it was pleasant and did not result in throwing up all over the carpet at 2AM.

Crispy duck skin and lean meat!

I have managed to finish the Rakis' replacement city (just need to find a landscape, but I'll do that after this post). I'll finish Oblivion's one as it's half done, and then leave replacing the cities and get back to more critical tasks so this thing can be finished.

Any progress is good!:)

Alas no, the GOTM players mostly dematerialised... They enjoyed the scenario, but didn't play the main mod. :(

Still, it is nice that they enjoyed the scenario.

How are you going vyeh? :)

I had a bit of a birthday, then a minor crisis, and now am in crazy assignment mode! But I am resolved to finish this mod, even if nobody ends up playing it. :) Hey, it's a quest, and might as well see it through! :D

I hope that you have been going well... sorry for being so silent.

How are you going vyeh? :)

Weather is very nice today. Summer has arrived! :)

I had a bit of a birthday, then a minor crisis, and now am in crazy assignment mode! But I am resolved to finish this mod, even if nobody ends up playing it. :) Hey, it's a quest, and might as well see it through! :D

Iam glad to hear the commitment! :goodjob:

I hope that you have been going well... sorry for being so silent.

What is the next step?

EDIT: 2 years ago you started this thread. Happy anniversary!

Thank you! :D

I'm sorry for dropping off the planet somewhat hey. It's May was a bit of a month of misery... but it's over now, Uni almost over too! I'll have to get a job and become a real person soon haha. XD

I'm actually playing LE right now with a new friend, so far so good. :) I will try to get some artwork going soon as well, get things moving again!

I hope that your own existence has been moving ahead as well. :)

Thank you! :D

You're welcome. :)

I'm sorry for dropping off the planet somewhat hey. It's May was a bit of a month of misery... but it's over now,

I'm sorry to hear about the misery.

Uni almost over too! I'll have to get a job and become a real person soon haha. XD

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! :) :goodjob:

I'm actually playing LE right now with a new friend, so far so good. :) I will try to get some artwork going soon as well, get things moving again!

Great! :)

I hope that your own existence has been moving ahead as well. :)

I'm still working out and improving!

Can we set a target for the gold release of LE? It would be a pity if LE wasn't finished. :(

Sorry, but I have to ask this.

This isn't the first time a mod for Alpha Centauri was made, and made for Alien Crossfire.

Where are people supposed to get Alien Crossfire for anything near a reasonable price?
These mods seem to be for an exclusive cub of people who bought it years ago before it became a collectors item.

I see it being sold for over $100 online.

The only version selling for a normal, non collector, price includes a rather nasty form of DRM, unless they have removed that DRM since release a few years ago.
This is the one from Sold Out Software.

So, I wonder why people put all of this work into Alien Crossfire when hardly anyone has the game and it is so expensive to buy.

Even a greatly modded Alien Crossfire isn't worth $100 or troublesome DRM.

Your questions may be off topic for this thread, but it is up to the moderator to split your post and this answering post.

Correct, there have been several mods made for Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire. I think that is due to both the superior gameplay of Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire and the ability to modify.

Reasonability is in the eye of the buyer. There are a lot of newer games that I don't think are worth the price. While it is true that people need to own the game to use the mod, that is true for all mods. As for the exclusivity of the club, guilty as charged! :)

Only $100? New games are being sold for over $50. I am biased, but I think Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire are easily worth the price. It is very re-playable, huge solitary games can take months to complete and there is a great multi-player community.

Sorry about the DRM, but that is a response to the rampant piracy of games.

People put the work into Alien Crossfire because they love the game and creating a mod can be a lot of fun.

I disagree with your assessment of the worth of Alien Crossfire, modded or not! :)

I looked up on Amazon and found copies of it from Sold-out Software for like 5 dollars, so it can't be that bad. I agree it's an aging game--half of the people who refuse to play my game do so because they don't like the interface etc. :( And the other half are the content. XD But oh well that's my problem.

Still, it's not inaccessible, this game. :)

Wooo! Exams over! :D And I had some fun playing the mod with a friend lately!

Top Bottom