1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of prisoners in Guantanamo aren't terrorists! Imagine that!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zulu9812, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

This appears contradictory to your claim that the study is not credible. Using the publicly available information, please demonstrate one error or misrepresentation in the lists above, or please withdraw your accusation that the study is not credible due to the people performing it.

Secondly, if we assume that the study is not credible and all the information is publicly available, I would have expected an opposition group to do a counterstudy. Since the linked PDF came out early August, there has been plenty of time. What I've seen is mostly "they're evul terrists and we must detain them".

2. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

To start off, what you are asking seems to be the same thing i was asking for in my last post.
    Now i can not peer review this paper, It's out side my field. but i do not i blindly trust everything that this paper says ethier. What is so unreasonable with asking that if this is a published report? And in what journal was this in?

You asked why isn't their a counterstudy. All i asked for was a independent study. This isn't about picking sides, no study should ever be about picking side. The thing is the people who run this study already picked a side, and that is another reason why i am questing this study.

3. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

Unfortunatley not born out by the evidence. There are any number of university published reports and studies that are quickly shown to be complete bunk put out by hacks with an agenda.

4. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

I helped put a guy in Gitmo. I hope he <is a really cool guy>, even with his daily medical checks and three meals, religious freedoms. I know, if the shoe were on the other foot I would have my head sawed off slowly.

That's ok though, CNN will even air the footage :mischief:

Moderator Action: No need to resort to such statements. Removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

5. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

They are not terrorists until they have been convicted of being one in a fair trial.

6. Peri

Peri Vote early and vote often

GWB said all he knew about these people were that they were bad men. If the President says they are guilty why bother with courts and stuff. After all he knows best. Laws are just for Liberals I suppose.

7. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

So their reasoning would be as flawed as yours.
    So?

8. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

Well I feel reassured to know that bin Laden, Al -Zawahiri, Al-Zarqawi and the rest were/are not terrorists.

9. malclave

malclave King

I'll try to read the whole study soon, but I found the summary's use of numbers interesting. For example:

A casual read of the second sentence might lead one to believe that 58% of the detainees were not associated with al Qaeda or the Taliban.

I'm also interested in the term "al Qaeda fighters"... I hope it's a defined term in the report. But from that item in the summary, the breakdown of detainees at the time of data collection appears to be:

60% connected definitively with al Qaeda.
    22% connected definitively with the Taliban but not al Qaeda.
    18% not connected definitively with either of those two specific groups.

Hopefully, the second report will follow up on detainees that were repatriated, or who are being held at Guantanamo because other countres refuse repatriation (or it would not be safe for their return).

10. Riffraff

Riffraff Deity

wow thats some awful maths/logic you just showed there..

11. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

In other news, F. Lee Bailey today said that O.J. Simpson was not guilty of murdering Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.

12. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Of course they're not terrorists, they're political prisoners.

13. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

" You honor... all my client had were some rpg's, a few 155mm shells, all sorts of little electrical tools, some cellphones, a terrorist manual and a picture of OBL on his wall... can the goverment come up with something better? Oh and who dosen't own a labtop and so what it was logged into the Jihad.net singles chat? "

:crazyeye:

14. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Can anybody point to any convinctions from Gitmo??

and how many people have been released from there sans charges???

boy, those bush boys are great for terrorist recruitment

15. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

At least O.J. had a trial.

Why try to explain morality to fools who believe that only there country has some morality? And everyone else is somehow wrong by default? It's hypocrisy of the finest order, and no matter how they try to play their cards, there just lying in a bed of immorality.

Cruel and unusual punishment, I think being innocent before being proven guilty makes it both cruel and unusual, and here we thought unusual wasn't a necessary adverb in that constitutional point. Let's leave and form a country that has better morals than Europe and then devoid ourselves of respect by ignoring them.:rolleyes:

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

16. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

Most of whom don't really belong there to begin with.

17. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

O.J. didn't plan on hijacking an airplane.

18. malclave

malclave King

You're right. I apologize.

Looking again at the statement
    the numbers actually work out to:

62.2% al Qaeda (plus possibly affiliated with another group?)
    (8% "al Qaeda fighters")
    (54.2% "definitive connection" with al Qaeda)

21.24% "definitive affiliation" with the Taliban but NOT al Qaeda
    16.56% no "definitive" connection with either group

I had originally taken the 40% and 18% numbers as percentages of the total, rather than of the 92% who were not "al Qaeda fighters". I offer no excse for my error... thanks for pointing out, though, that a lower percentage than what I thought had not been "definitively" linked to either of those two groups.

19. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

Bin Laden has had a trial. He didn't attend (I guess he had prior engagements). I can't fully vouch for the fairness of his trial but assuming it was (it was back when we still believed in fair trials) that means the verdict (guilty) sticks. There may have been some shady witnesses and hearsay evidence but he hasn't made any attempt to appeal. I am not sure if the same amount of due process has been attributed to the Als.

The presumption of innocence is one of the most important and basic principals of most democratic and free nations including the US. If you want accusation to be proof you would be better off under a totalitarian regime. Stick around though you just never know what your type of attitude could create.

20. zenspiderz

zenspiderz Just some bloke..

No? Well we just have a give them a dose good ol' fashioned CIA mk-ultra trauma based mind control until these peasent goat herders are ready to blow themselves up for the voices in their head... :mwaha:

cough .. unabomber .. cough