• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Mac GOTM Installers

ok, I downloaded it again and it worked this time. not sure what happened.

Alan, I manually installed the GOTM24 files, and it appears to be working. But, I am getting frequent CTDs. Now, I did have them w/ the GOTM23 full install so I'm not alarmed. What do you think?

Originally posted by AlanH
CTD? Yet another TLA to give me a PITA?

Sorry, Crash To Desktop (CTD).

I'm assuming I couldn't use your updated installer since I've already manually placed files. Or, would it simply overwrite them? Not that I need to, the GOTM24 file is playing.

Thanks fro the clarification. Sorry for my testiness, but I actually have a pet aversion to the excessive, to my mind, use of abbreviations around here. It seems to me to be all about making the message easy to type and nothing to do with ensuring that it can be understood. :rolleyes:

I had a single episode of repeated Civ3 crashes a couple of months ago. Prior to that it had been very stable. I reinstalled it from the ground up, including all the GOTM files from 16 onwards. Since then it's reverted to its previous completely stable behaviour. That experience was what prompted me to build the GOTM installers.

Aside from that episode there have only been a couple of specific situations caused by known errors in the pediaicons file, and then only at the end of game when the victory celebrations are supposed to begin. I played Gotm23 to completion with no crashing problems, other than the fact that I had only reached 1200 AD by September 30 and had to commit suicide to end the game :(

If your Civ3 was unstable during Gotm23 then it probably isn't going to get better by itself. I recommend you reinstall the application, and apply the Gotm23 full installer to it, followed by the Gotm24 incremental installer.

If you think the current crashes are occurring at specific points in the game, such as diplomatic contacts with certain civs, then you should PM Cracker with the details in case there are problems with the current game files. No-one else can help you there without risk of a spoiler.

The installers just overwrite anything that's there, so they would repair any errors in manual placement. However, I would recommend starting with a clean install from your CD plus the 1.29 patch, as there's no guarantee that your problem is with a GOTM file.

First of all congrats lateralis!

Second, during GOTM 23 I got many many random crashes (to desktop) whenever I accessed to tech tree in every age, about every other time I accessed it. Anybody else get this?

No, my Civ3 is normally stable. See my previous post concerning Dojoboy's crashes.

I have no experience with Civ3 in 10.1, which you run. OS X 10.1 is well over a year old now, and was really a beta version by another name. Maybe that is contributing to your problems?

I also did not experience any crashes like you are describing N8mac... is it possible you have some GOTM-specific file in the wrong spot? You should email/PM cracker if it keeps happening maybe he will have an idea of what is going on.

I tried using the installer but it seemed like only some of the files installed...ended up doing a manual install.

Not to worry tho, I've got a couple of other things going on with my G3.

Been playing and haven't had any problems.

One question tho...where the heck was the link for the GOTM24 .sav???

All I could find in the text files were the links for 23...so I changed the 23 to 24 and got the .sav.

Originally posted by Nixnutz
I tried using the installer but it seemed like only some of the files installed...ended up doing a manual install.

Not to worry tho, I've got a couple of other things going on with my G3.

I *do* worry, though! That's not in the plan. Which files were missing after you ran the installer?

One question tho...where the heck was the link for the GOTM24 .sav???

All I could find in the text files were the links for 23...so I changed the 23 to 24 and got the .sav.
Cracker reused last month's readme and forgot to edit it. He's the latest victim of the dreaded "cut'n'paste" demon. It happens, right?

If you used my installer you should have had the correct links in the main installer readme.

Tao, my prior reply to you was screwed up because the "quote" button malfunctions on your last post.

I also manually loaded, and had the same results. Some of the AI civs also are referred to in code when i communicate with them, although their actual replies are clear.

I had frequent CTDs and the same coded remarks in diplomacy, so I did a clean install from the Civ3 CD, upgraded to 1.29 beta 2, and used Alan's installers. All is well now, so far.

Originally posted by tao
Question: I did up to now all manual installs, and everything is fine. But the civilopedia does not have information on the gotm-introduced tribes. Is this so, or did I miss some install step? Which?
There is no CivilPoedia text for the new tribes. I'm sure Cracker would love it if someone would create some, and it would no doubt be a great research project. I'd love to volunteer, but I don't even have time to play the games :)

Originally posted by Txurce
I also manually loaded, and had the same results. Some of the AI civs also are referred to in code when i communicate with them, although their actual replies are clear.

Hey guys,

I used Alan's updater and it went well I thought. I was playing without a hiccup until I met a non-local Civ. (I don't want to include any spoiler stuff here, but....) I got "code" for a greeting in several cases. No crashes, and as Txurce stated above, the replies and actual diplomacy went fine. It was a little dissapointing I guess. I wanted to read some new and interesting insults from these new Civs...

I play on a Pismo Powerbook (400), 10.2.6 and use it to surf and email while playing. I've noticed slowdowns and (CTD) crashes occur more often after launching Eudora and Safari numerous times. When I reboot and start Civ fresh, I never have a crash, no matter how long I leave it running...

Just another $0.02.

The diplomacy text and insults is all in a file called [Civilization III]/Text/diplomacy.txt. Since this file is unchanged by the GOTM mods, I can only guess that the version 1.29 software, or the scenario data within the game start file, is having a little trouble handling the linkages between the new civs and the diplomacy.txt file.

If anyone wants to upload a screen shot of a "coded" response and PM me I'll see if I can trace where it comes from in the file and check for any corruption in the Mac version. Alternatively you could raise it with Cracker to avoid any spoiler concerns.

Actually there should be an updated diplomacy.txt file included in the installer that should fill in all sorts of dialog for the various civs.

This file is one of the most cumbersome and ill-thoughtout elements of the Civ3 software design so I assure you we would not be touching it except for the fact that it is nuisance required.

I've just rechecked my file sets. The last diplomacy.txt file that was distributed for Mac users came with the GOTM20 pack. That file is included in my full GOTM23 installer for Mac. The Mac file sets have not included any revised versions of the file since then as far as I know. If there is a later one, please let me have a copy so that I can correct the installers.

Thanks Cracker. One file in a while is bound to go astray in all of this shuffling. Unfortunately, we're not there yet. The link is not working.

[EDIT] OK. The link is working this morning. Thanks Cracker.

Top Bottom