1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Mod Installation Solutions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Macintosh' started by Blue Monkey, Aug 19, 2006.

1. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

yes, it is related to 25...sort of. I am missing an entry but it's not the same one. It's called ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus or something. I did a search but came up with nothing. I'll keep workin on it but any ideas meantime?

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus is a reference in the PediaIcons.txt file for RFRE:

#ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus
    SINGLE
    art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\circusmaxlarge.pcx
    art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\circusmaxsmall.pcx

It tells the software to look for files called circusmaxlarge.pcx and circusmaxsmall.pcx in the /art/civilopedia/icons.buildings/ folder in RFRE.

In the RFRE installation on my system those files are present, so it should all work fine. If they are missing in your set-up then your installation failed somehow.

If the error message is that the ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus entry is missing from PediaIcons.txt, then somehow your system is not finding the correct version of that file for RFRE.

3. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

ya exactly, so should I just type it in there or do I need to reinstall or it won't work for me or what?

4. AlanH

... exactly what? If the PediaIcons.txt file in RFRE doesn't include the relevant lines, then it's the wrong file. There's probably no point in adding that entry, because there will be others missing as well. You need the right files in the right places to get the mod to work.

5. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

what am I doing wrong then???!!! I have all the folders and .biq's in the scenarios folder in Conquests data, I patched everything to 1.322, what could I have possibly done wrong? I want answers on how to fix it not explanations of how it isn't working

6. AlanH

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm just trying to find out exactly what you have installed. "Ya exactly" wasn't a very precise description of the problem.

If you open the PediaIcons.txt file in your RFRE folder, do you find the lines I quoted? If you don't then the installation is not correct. That means you have installed the wrong set of files, or put some of them in the wrong place.

7. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Hi there,

Great compatibility thread you have here., keep it running :)
    Just reading the post above, I went for a check ("damn, did we forget that file?"), but well... it is there, look!

It is an .amb file, maybe that the issue with Macs? Anyhow, I am unsure what the file does since its size is just 1 kb. Likely just a placeholder. PC users never reported a problem with the hastati unit and it was added a while ago already.

Attached Files:

8. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

sorry if I got a little mad, but you were right. There are definitely other entries missing because when I tried again after moving around some stuff it said something else was missing from the same file. I have thrown everything away and I will try again next time I feel like connecting my mac to the internet.

9. AlanH

Hmm. The error reported by the OP was that LegionaryRunFoot1.wav was missing. As you say, there is a file called LegionaryRun.amb, but that was not the one giving the reported error. I've no idea why the .wav file is even causing a problem, as it isn't listed in the Hastati.ini file. Could it be referenced directly from the .biq file?

10. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

No, there is no scope for such linkage in the editor. All sounds used by a unit are referred in the .ini file within the unit own folder.

I overlooked the complete name above. So, yes, no such mention to that sound file in the hastati. This is very odd.

11. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

ok i have done some more screwing around with my mac since I last posted. I finally got Civ 3 Complete patched to the latest version and i figured that would solve my problem....NOT. Now when I try loading, I get a load error message saying: File Not Found: "art\advisors\VA_all.pcx"
    actually when i tried looking in the art folder, there wasn't even a folder titled "advisors" in there. what should I do? and don't say dl again cuz I've tried that at least 7 times.

12. AlanH

I found that file in:

~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios/RFRE/Art/Advisors/VA_all.pcx

13. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

I didn't find anything in that file. the scenarios file in my documents is completely empty.

14. AlanH

15. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

in Macintosh HD\Civ 3 Complete\Conquests Data\Scenarios

I think the scenarios folder in my documents is different

16. AlanH

Mac OS is a back-slash-free zone :) It's also generally a bad idea to put folders or files of your own on the top level of your hard drive, as you may not always have full permissions to access them. But are you saying there's no /Civ 3 Complete/Conquests Data/Scenarios/RFRE/Art/Advisors/ folder, and no VA_all.pcx file in it? If so then you haven't installed it properly.

17. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

I'm saying that there isn't and advisors folder in the art folder. and I'm certain I've installed correctly

18. AlanH

One possibility: I assume you installed the 1.30 patch? Did you simply replace the RFRE folder with the new one from the patch? If so, you deleted a whole lot of stuff. You have to go through the RFRE folder in the patch and add new folders and files from the patch. You should never replace existing folders, only existing files.

19. MickyKitsu

MickyKitsu Chieftain

Yeah... thats why i always wind up extracting and patching mods over in parallels, before copying them over - can overwrite folders without deleting everything.

20. AlanH

That's what my drag and drop installer did for mods in vanilla. Trouble is I don't think it is properly set up to deal with Civ3 Complete mods that can be installed in at least three different places, and I haven't worked out a good way to deal with that ...