Mac Mod Installation Solutions

One possibility: I assume you installed the 1.30 patch? Did you simply replace the RFRE folder with the new one from the patch? If so, you deleted a whole lot of stuff. You have to go through the RFRE folder in the patch and add new folders and files from the patch. You should never replace existing folders, only existing files.

if its the same thing with patch 1.323 then that may have been the problem all along. I'll try one last time later and see what the outcome is. thanks

The Age of Imperialism scenario should work through the universal ways mentioned on the first post, plus find all the updates on the AoI thread. However, there is one tiny thing to add, copy the Infantry folder in the Civ3 art/units folder and put it into the AoI art/units folder. Then it should work.

A question on the "generic" solution to some of the Mod problems:

Since the files in question that you must duplicate and move the copy into the main game folder total about a gig... does anyone know if this fix would work with a symlink instead?

I can go up and DL an evaluation of Pathfinder and use it to make a symlink for the files and move those and only suck up a few K of disk space rather then a gig if it would work.

It should work fine. I've used symlinks to create complete virtual installations to fool the Windows editor and CivAssist II running in Parallels, so it ought to work for this purpose as well.

I use Pathfinder as my normal Finder, by the way. Apple's Finder is clunky and limited in comparison, and I can't see Coverflow being enough to fix it in Leopard.

I'm just downloading it now with over 20 minutes to run, though it looks like there might be a complication as it is called LotM1.13.rar.rar. That implies that it has been compressed twice. That may be throwing Stuffit off the scent.

[Update] I downloaded it and expanded it. It produced a folder called "LotM1.13.rar Folder". I put the contents of that folder into ~/Documents/Civlization 3 Complete/Scenarios/ and started up a game with no apparent problems.

It sounds as if you may have a faulty download. It's unlikely that your Stuffit is broken, but you might want to check its version. Mine is at v.12.

I'm just wondering, after reading a tutorial about installing custom unit models, I noticed that it said that you need the 1.29f patch. I'm using a Vanilla Civ III, and I can't find any mac patches that are still working. Does this mean that mac vanilla players can't use any custom models?

I apologize in advance if this is totally in the wrong place, but I thought it might have something to do with mac mods.

My signature contains a link to the version 1.29b2 updater. That patch works with all vanilla versions, and is file compatible with the Windows version 1.29f.

Thanks a lot! Am updating it as I type. However, I still cannot find the editor.

You didn't ask about an editor. There was an editor, but MacSoft no longer publish it, it only works with version 1.21g and doesn't work very well - particularly in modern versions of OS X.

If you (a) have version 1.21g and (b) are prepared to live with the limitations, then email me.

No, I sortof assumed that it was included in one of the patches since 1.6, sorry. I don't really care. Thanks for the help though.

The MacSoft editor is the most unstable piece of software I have ever used with the Mac. If you work with it very carefully, you can get a useable mod, but you need to really check it before saving. The other problem is that with the 10.4 update, the map you work on has all of the tiles surrounded by pink triangles. You can still use it, and they do not show on the game, but it is very annoying. You would be better off getting a Windows copy of Civ3 Complete, which includes the basic Civilizations editor and using that to generate usable maps. I do a fair amount of modding, and purchased a Windows box for game editing from my son's high school, but still do all of my playing on my Mac IBook.

Ah well. I was trying to figure out how I can make flavor units work for the different nations, has any tried this on a mac? I assume that you need the editor to have civ-specific models.

I'm a PC man myself. My daughter loves Mac. Oh well.

This is a follow up of sorts to the initial post in this thread. RAR files can be extracted safely on a Mac using Stuffit Expander. The basic extractor itself can be downloaded for free from Smith Micro, which even put it up on it's own domain. I recommend getting a copy if you don't happen to have one. Even Windows users, because sometimes you might run across a file compressed using some Mac compressor.

Hope this helps.

Background: I downloaded a copy of Balancer Reloaded from the Storm Over Civilization Forums, extracted it from the RAR using Stuffit Expander, installed it in Conquests Game Data/Conquests, then went to get it started in C3C. And had the same problem I had with Balancer as found under Play the World Game Data.

So I tried an idea I had, only to run into other problems having to do with missing files.

Since the previous solution had apparently worked, I tried it again where the new missing file was concerned, only (you guessed it) to learn that yet other files were not where poor old Tiger (G4 iMac, Leopard won't run on it) thought they should be. Finally I learned which files were missing (yes, it was tedious) and got them into place. Here now I present what I did

Now the Medieval Japanese file in question was supposed to be in a folder that didn't exist under Balancer Reloaded, so I simply got a copy of that folder from Sengoku/Art/Units, plus a copy of every other Folder that started with "Medieval Japanese" just to be sure. Then came the missing Balancer Reloaded/Art/Units/Nomad files. This is what ate up my time.

I did write down which files they were, where I found them, and where I put the copies. I even went and copied that write up to the clipboard, or so I thought. Only to learn that that copying didn't happen. So as best I can recall, here are the files I copied from Civilization 3 Game data/art/Units/Worker to Balancer Reloaded/Art/Units/Nomad

ScoutRunFoot2.wav
WorkForestLeaves.wav
WorkFortressHammer.wav
WorkIrrigatehoe1.wav
WorkJungleMachette1.wav
WorkMinePickAxe.wav
WorkPlantBag.wav
WorkPlantSeed.wav
WorkRoadShovelInwav

And lo did Balancer Reloaded load.

Give my advice a try and see how it works for you.

Top Bottom