Mac Modding Index

When I first got BtS, I tried adding Blue Marble and Better Ship Scales and couldn't get BtS to Run with either of them. Has anyone got them working?

Which version of BlueMarble are you trying to install in BtS? I've installed the current version in a Windows system, and then copied it across to my Mac BtS installation and it seems to be working OK.

Got BtS yesterday, installed it, ran it with no problems (occasional buzzing in the audio, but perhaps the patch will fix this). I'm going to try installing Blue Marble, because it really does need it.

Alan, what do you think is the best approach to installing BM? I run Windows via Bootcamp, so I can't copy files across (actually, I suppose I could use a flash drive, now I think about it...).

I haven't investigated alternatives.

I downloaded and unzipped the high res .exe from the BluMarble main page, ran a Windows install, and then just copied CustomAssets into the ~/Documents/<variant_name>/ folder for each of the Civ4 variants.

It's easy using a VM, but as you say, you should be able to use an external FAT32 or NTFS formatted drive to do the transfers from Bootcamp.

Which version of BlueMarble are you trying to install in BtS? I've installed the current version in a Windows system, and then copied it across to my Mac BtS installation and it seems to be working OK.

I don't recall which one I tried, but I may not have installed it correctly. Can you point me to the correct version? I'm recovering from surgery and the drugs aren't exactly raising my IQ.

Edit: I don't have a Windows system available, but it worked fine in vanilla and Warlords.

I downloaded the latest - version 4.5. But, as I say, this is a zipped Windows installer, so you can't extract its files without a Windows environment.

The first post in this thread links to the Mac version download page, which was updated with links to version 4.5 last year. I just downloaded and unzipped that and compared it with the one I got from the Windows installer. It seems to be missing a number of BtS-related files. I'll contact ColdFever and see if he will update those Mac Zip files to include the full file set.

I downloaded the latest - version 4.5. But, as I say, this is a zipped Windows installer, so you can't extract its files without a Windows environment.

The first post in this thread links to the Mac version download page, which was updated with links to version 4.5 last year. I just downloaded and unzipped that and compared it with the one I got from the Windows installer. It seems to be missing a number of BtS-related files. I'll contact ColdFever and see if he will update those Mac Zip files to include the full file set.

Thanks.:worship:

Got BtS yesterday, installed it, ran it with no problems (occasional buzzing in the audio, but perhaps the patch will fix this). I'm going to try installing Blue Marble, because it really does need it.

Alan, what do you think is the best approach to installing BM? I run Windows via Bootcamp, so I can't copy files across (actually, I suppose I could use a flash drive, now I think about it...).

You can easily access your windows files when you are booted in OSX. There is a drive called Untitled which is your bootcamp drive, you have full read access to that from OSX. Just go to where you installed BM and copy the files over.

You can easily access your windows files when you are booted in OSX. There is a drive called Untitled which is your bootcamp drive, you have full read access to that from OSX. Just go to where you installed BM and copy the files over.

Oh, OK. I didn't think I could copy files over, I thought it was strictly read only.

If it's NTFS then it is read-only. But copying the files from a Windows installation to your Mac *is* a read-only operation!

What about converting Rise of Mankind 2.8 Full into Mac BTS 3.19 version ?

What about adapting to BTS 3.19 "Immigration mod" by TheLopez ?

I have an idea of specific Mac BTS 3.19 XML only mod...

I think that i understand it...

Mac XML is it more simple that Windows XML...

Where i ould find Mac XML tutorial for Civ 4 BTS 3.19 Mac ?

How i create new effects in the simpliest way...

For adding by example a building, a civic or a tech without new graphics, how do i make ?

There's a whole forum full of tutorials and information about modding in the Creation and Customization forums.

The Mac version is not special, so you don't need any special instructions for XML changes. The XML files are simple text files that can be edited in TextEdit or any other text editor. Text Wrangler is free, and it will colour the different parts of the syntax for you. There are also several XML editors for Mac OS X. I have used one called XMLMind in the past that checks XML syntax and reduces the chances of errors. Don't use a word processor.

I use Smultron (check the first post under the utilities section.) TextWrangler is okay, but it would do some funny things when I opened some of the XML files. I also use it for Python, if you want to do that.

When I decide to (seriously) take on Cocoa programming, I think it would be fun to make an editor for Civ 4, like the ones Windows users already have. If you have any questions about XML, I'd be glad to help you out. :D

I just seen that Smultron was recently abandonned :(

Text Wrangler 3.0 works with xml files, ok...

But Text Wrangler 3.0 do also work on python files ?

Sorry but i see that Text Wrangler 3.0 is just released...

Python, XML, HTML, PHP and most other programming languages are pure text files, and can be edited using any text editor.

Text Wrangler is a text editor that provides syntax colouring, line numbering and a number of other features that assist in developing programs. I use its "big brother", BBEdit, but for your purposes, any version of Text Wrangler would be fine as long as it runs in your version of OS X.

There's a text editor built into Xcode - the Apple programming suite. That would work as well, but you may be distracted by all the other stuff that Xcode contains.

TextEdit - built into Mac OS X is also a text editor, but has fewer extra features to support programming.

Top Bottom