MacBUFFY

It occurs to me that MacAssetsChecker has not been looking at your ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/ folder. Do you guys have anything in there?

@EricRoush:

There are lots of extra items and file size errors in your config. They are related to the Civ4 and Warlords applications. Are you sure you have the latest patches for Civ4 and Warlords? It seems surprising since you appear to have submitted GOTMs and WOTMs :confused:

My custom assets folder has a ton of folders in it, but all were installed at the time of original game installation with no modifications since that time.

I haven't applied any mods to the basic game or Warlords and have applied the latest patches. Some of the missing files on my computer appear to be old HOF mods, but I have no explanation for the other discrepancies.

There's always a skeleton CustomAssets folder structure. If you delete it it gets created again next time you launch the game. It contains no actual files unless you install a mod into it. Players typically install graphics mods like BlueMarble there which should be harmless; but sometimes things like BUG which *might* interact adversely with a mod you load.

I'm still concerned about the differences in your basic application bundles. What are the full version numbers you see if you select Get Info on the Civ4 and Warlords apps?

Files that are in my config and missing in yours are not a problem. All are either mods that don't do anything, or other files. I can remove them from my config and still launch BOTM 27. It's the files that are extra or different in your config that are more worrying.

It occurs to me that MacAssetsChecker has not been looking at your ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/ folder. Do you guys have anything in there?

I've got this:

Attachments

• documents_customassets.png
    documents_customassets.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 160
@Dojoboy

If all those folders are empty, then that's just the skeleton that I referred to in the previous post. The key question is not what folders you have in there, but whether you have any files in the folders - in particular, in Python or XML.

When you moved your MacBUFFY folder from /Applications/ to ~/Documents/, did you move it, or copy it? If you left a copy in the /Applications/ path, then it's possible that BtS would still load that one, not the correct one.

@Dojoboy

If all those folders are empty, then that's just the skeleton that I referred to in the previous post. The key question is not what folders you have in there, but whether you have any files in the folders - in particular, in Python or XML.

When you moved your MacBUFFY folder from /Applications/ to ~/Documents/, did you move it, or copy it? If you left a copy in the /Applications/ path, then it's possible that BtS would still load that one, not the correct one.

Those folders are all empty. I moved MacBuffy, did not copy.

I'm going to have to proceed as follows:

I'll create a clean new Civ4/BtS/MacBuffy installation and see if it opens the BOTM start files. If it doesn't load the files, I'll build new start files using that config and ask you guys to try them. If that works you can obviously proceed to play the game, and I can do a post mortem investigation to try to work out what is different about my old and new configs.

If the above does't get you working for whatever reason, then I'll add some more capability to MacAssetsChecker to enable it to check if your file contents match mine, using checksums not just file sizes.

[UPDATE]
Grrr! I've got a new, clean installation up to the point where I've installed BtS 3.17 from the DVD. That, and vanilla and Warlords are all running. Vanilla and Warlords will both load old GOTM and WOTM start files. All I need now to complete the job is the BtS 3.19 patch ... AND ASPYR'S SUPPORT SITE IS DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE - for the next five hours!!!!

I also have had this problem. In an attempt to self repair the problem I re-installed BTS. Big mistake. I now have leaders images with mixed graphics (glasses on Caesar, etc.). I would like to clean out all references to Civ right back to Civilization IV, Warlords and BTS, then follow a known path to get back to the MacBuffy problem.
1. What files need to be deleted?
2. What files do I need for CiV IV, Warlords and BTS to be up-to-date?
3. Is there a proper order and should I test each install as I go?

Once I have a fresh install, maybe I can add my input to getting MacBuffy up to speed.

Thanks guys.
Keath

Sorry to hear that :(. I can't imagine how reinstalling BtS could cause that problem.

To build a compete new Civ4 config, as I have just done, you need your original DVDs, and the BtS 3.19 updater, and a bit of patience. You don't need any other updater files, but you do need to make sure you have the latest version of your Mac OS X system software, as earlier versions of Leopard caused Quicktime problems.

I have adopted the following sequence:

1. I wanted to use a different hard drive for this new clean installation. But subsequent steps would not let me upgrade Civ4 on my non-startup hard drive, so I ended up renaming my old /Applications/Civilization IV/ folder to /Applications/Civilization IV OLD/, and drag-copying the Civilization IV folder from my original DVD into /Applications/ to create a new one there.

2. I started up Civ4 vanilla from the new folder and verified that it ran. I believe this may be a necessary step in order that the expansions know where to install themselves.

2. Previous experience taught me that Aspyr installers and updaters seem to fail in recent Mac OS X systems if they are run directly from read-only disks or disk images. So I drag-copied the Warlords installer from my original Warlords DVD onto my Desktop, and ran it. It made its own decisions about what to do, but it did seem to add the Warlords folder to the new Civ4 folder.

3. I started up Warlords, again, to verify that it would run, and to ensure that the system knew where to find it. I don't know whether this step is necessary, as this is a full Mac installer that registers itself with the System.

4. I copied the BtS installer from my DVD onto my Desktop and ran it. Same rationale as step 2.
It told me that it couldn't find any software to update, so I clicked the "Other" button and selected the Civilization IV application file in my new installation. It then updated my vanilla to v1.74 and my Warlords to v2.13, and installed BtS v3.17. I checked that BtS would run.

5. I copied Hof-Mac-1.74.002 into the /Applications/Civilization IV/Mods/ folder, checked that the vanilla .ini file was edited to load this mod at launch (it normally is on my system), and confirmed that vanilla would load old GOTM start files.

6. I copied HOF-Mac-2.13.001 into the /Applications/Civilization IV/Warlords/Mods/ folder, checked that the Warlords .ini file was edited to load this mod at launch (it normally is on my system), and confirmed that Warlords would load old WOTM start files.

Note the use of auto-load in the .ini file to load the mods. Since I had only renamed my old Civ4 folder, and not deleted it, I did not trust the system to relaunch after a manual mod selection and launch the new copy of the game software. Setting the mods to load automatically meant there was no relaunch.

7. I downloaded the BtS 3.19 updater from AtomicGamer, as Aspyr had gone off line. I mounted the disk image, copied the installer to the Desktop and ran it. Again, I had to use the "Other" button to select the new Civ4 application file. It ran, and updated BtS to version 3.19.

8. I ensured that MacBUFFY was still in my ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/MODS/ folder, and that my BtS .ini file still had MacBUFFY-3.19.003 as the auto-load mod. I was able to confirm that this new copy of BtS loads the BOTM 27 start files.

9. I ran MacAssetsChecker, and it confirmed that there are no significant differences between my old and new Civ4 configs.

The above sequence did not find the problem with BOTM 27 files. I shall therefore have to extend MacAssetsCheck to look for file differences. Watch this space.

Sorry to hear that :(. I can't imagine how reinstalling BtS could cause that problem.

Yeah, that's why I want re-install the octopus Civ has created with all the updates and HOF mods. I'll let you know when I have it up and running.

Thank you for the sequence of installs. Great stuff! Good luck with MacBuffy and thanks for all your work. :goodjob:

Keath

Note that all I did was to reinstall my Civ4 software in /Applications/.

I didn't touch my ~/Documents/Civilization IV .... folder set, and I didn't delete any Civ4 preferences or Application Support files from the ~/Library/. This *shouldn't* be necessary unless you are suffering instability or problems with settings. if you really want to clean out your config, then delete everything in those locations as well, after backing up any mods, saves, maps etc that you want to recover later.

I followed these instructions and even though I'd moved the Civilization IV Old out of the Applications folder the installer still found the original folder. :confused:

6. I copied HOF-Mac-2.13.002 into the /Applications/Civilization IV/Warlords/Mods/ folder, checked that the Warlords .ini file was edited to load this mod at launch (it normally is on my system), and confirmed that Warlords would load old WOTM start files.

Could only find HOF-Mac-2.13.001 for Warlords.

All worked well until this point. After the BTS install and updates I checked BTS MacBuffy and it still had 'assets' problem. :mad: AND the goofy graphics are still present. :( Any ideas?

I think the Warlords installer tracks down all copies of Civ4, but did it install into your new Civ4 folder?.

Yeah! HOF-Mac-2.13.001. Copy/paste error :blush:

Re the goofy graphics. Have you tried rebooting your system? Maybe it's down to some strange caching in the graphics card.

It looks as if you have reached the same point as Dojoboy apart from that. I imagine if you run the first version of the MacAssetsCheck you'll get similar results to the others - jut a couple of spurious .bak files in the res/cursors/ directory.

Your new installation *ought* to be identical to my new config if you used the same sequence as me, so it seems unlikely that a more strict MacAssetsCheck will achieve anything. I'll do it anyway, as it may be useful in future, but I'm running out of ideas. Wonder if BtS installs differently on American Macs :confused:

The only other thing I did while trying to fix MacBUFFY was to delete the Application Support files and Preferences before I re-installed CIV BTS the first time. Civ IV and Warlords work fine now with no graphics glitch, just BTS is graphics goofy. It happened to me once before (not BTS) but so long ago I don't remember the solution.

I've had the protected assets problem before BTS, too, and the solution had something to do with the Civ versions. Consequently I had many Civ version folders in Applications.

I'm now considering a full trashing of CIV IV and a fresh start, saving SAVES, mods, etc. Maybe tomorrow... :sad: The reboot didn't help.

I have solved the 'goofy graphics' problem but still no luck with MacBUFFY loading without the protected assets error. :sad: The graphics problem has to do with the Detailed Graphics setting and Anti-aliasing must be set to 0. :)

I'm working on adding file checksumming to MacAssetsCheck. However, it's a little slow, and heavy on system resources at the moment, as it has to open lots of files and read them all to calculate checksums. So it'll need a bit of multi-threading and a progress indicator :(

Top Bottom