[GS] Machu Picchu is worth beelining

Jewman

Prince
For reference: Machu Picchu is a world wonder unlocked an engineering that must be built on a mountain. It cost 400 production and provides standard adjacency bonuses to your theatre, commercial and industrial districts and gives+4 gold.

The adjacency bonuses are incredible. Getting +3 or more theatre squares is not too difficult and absolutely insane. Maps are a lot more mountainous now so chances are you will be developing on at least one side of a large mountain range as any civilization (let alone the inca). If that was the only bonus it provided, it would still be pretty decent but it also gives adjacency to commercial and industrial hubs! I build commercial hubs everywhere, regardless of win condition and this just rewards you that much more. Industrial hubs are good but you have to invest a lot into them to start being worth it. Not with Machu Picchu! Nestling them in the mountains where there will naturally be hills to mine means you can get some very strong adjacencies very early in the game. High adjacency means higher era scores too, these little things matter!

Then there's policy cards that boost adjacency. Everyone knows how strong shipyards are with adjacency, but now all your industrial zones can have this bonus and very early when it counts the most.

Also, it's built on a mountain, so it doesn't eat a tile (unless you're inca but even then you don't really care) and combined with regular wonder adjacency and its bonus, it provides 4 adjacency bonus to a theatre square next to it not counting anything else.

Downsides: the AI loves this wonder, they will always go for it so you have to commit yourself to getting it. Also, Engineering, while a useful technology, may force you to stray away from commercial hubs further delaying your economy. This can be extra bad if you go for it and someone else builds machu picchu. If you build it, you'll catch up in no time.

Anyways I have had the luck of getting it every game I've gone for it (emperor difficulty, I know you deity people don't build wonders lol). I think that because it has to be built on a mountain, you will most likely be building it on a city near lots of mountains which generally means lots of production so that may be why I'm getting so lucky. Either way do you guys also think this wonder is insane? or am i just to excited about it?

I finally built one in my current Inca game. I haven't found it particularly useful yet. I find I get better adjacency elsewhere than flat land next to mountains. Obviously my hills are tied up with terrace farms. I haven't found a good use for this yet.

I finally built one in my current Inca game. I haven't found it particularly useful yet. I find I get better adjacency elsewhere than flat land next to mountains. Obviously my hills are tied up with terrace farms. I haven't found a good use for this yet.

That's how I expected it to be. Even if you start next to some significant mountains, you aren't going to be putting your TSs, CHs, and IZs intentionally next to mountains in the hopes of scoring this wonder when there are typically better bonuses away from mountains. And you typically have all those districts built in you core cities before you can complete Machu Picchu, so it would have an incidental effect on them. You could get better bonuses on districts in later cities. But it just doesn't add up on paper to being that great.

I don't know, in my Inca game it was pretty good. +5 CH/Theaters don't grow on trees. Yeah, it was really only a few points but they also helped me roll into a golden age. It's probably all in how the mountains exactly lay out though.

I've gotten this a couple times now (well won it in a war) and I agree with previous posters.

The benefit can be huge, plus 4-5 theatre squares x 2 for the card in a few cities is huge. Problem is I usually have my theatre squares already and I don't care much about the commerce adjacency (maybe I should) since I only build those for the trader. Industrial zones I don't usually build either. If I get the wonder and haven't built up all my districts I definately like seeing those bonuses.

I've gotten this a couple times now (well won it in a war) and I agree with previous posters.

The benefit can be huge, plus 4-5 theatre squares x 2 for the card in a few cities is huge. Problem is I usually have my theatre squares already and I don't care much about the commerce adjacency (maybe I should) since I only build those for the trader. Industrial zones I don't usually build either. If I get the wonder and haven't built up all my districts I definately like seeing those bonuses.
I hadn't really gotten to many TSes when I built this.

Worth noting that a theater square adjacent to Machu Picchu itself is already at +3 without accounting for any other tiles or bonuses.

Best for really wide empires that will build those core districts in later cities. The bonus is nothing to sneeze at as long as it boosts half a dozen districts. Anything less and it's pretty "meh".

Best for really wide empires that will build those core districts in later cities. The bonus is nothing to sneeze at as long as it boosts half a dozen districts. Anything less and it's pretty "meh".
Yeah it's definitely suited for wide empires.

Machu Pichu to me is an extremely early wonder almost on par with Great Library, there is no way I have built any theatre squares by the time I build Machu Picchu. The commerce adjacency is like a cherry on top. Being able to build commerce hubs away from rivers which are contested for desirability with farms, aqueducts and general district sprawl is nice, tho it will only be useful here and there. Not uncommon to get a +5 commerce hub in a natural place with river/mountain/city center adjacency either.

I am not seeing these +5 bonuses everyone is talking about. I'm guessing because I have so many hills next to mountains. Strangely Machu Pichu is almost worthless to the Inca. I just can't pass up those sweet terrace farms with high yields. That seems foolish.

I am not seeing these +5 bonuses everyone is talking about. I'm guessing because I have so many hills next to mountains. Strangely Machu Pichu is almost worthless to the Inca. I just can't pass up those sweet terrace farms with high yields. That seems foolish.
yeah I was disappointed when I got it as the Inca too because I just wanted to play Terrace Farm Simulator lol.

TS next to machu picchu is +3 (the mountain+ the wonder in the same tile). Add the government plaza and another district or two and you're not even getting in the way of any good terrace spots yet. Though I do agree that it's probably better for other civs.

yeah I was disappointed when I got it as the Inca too because I just wanted to play Terrace Farm Simulator lol.

Yeah, Terrace Farm Simulator is a lot of fun right now! My only problem is my chain of farms has gotten broken up a couple times when a resource has popped up. If not for those resources, I think I'd probably have a string of like 50 terrace farms in a row without any flatland around them. Actually so many terrace farms that I never even got the eureka for having 3 mines since I farmed all my hills :p

I agree, a bit ironically, Machu Pichu is not that great for the Inca. But it was pretty boss in my current Mali game. Gave me a sweet +6 Industrial Zone in my capital, plus some very nice synergy with Commercial Hubs + Holy Sites around my empire.

I know the pain... but you only need so many 6-8 food tiles.
The nice thing about Machu for Inca is it lets you really maximize your buildable space- an iron mine near mountains may give you a +4 IZ, where normally you'd need to use up 3 extra tiles on mines to make that work.
Getting +4 CHs and +3 TS (for the +50%/+50% building output cards) is also a very crucial feature. That's 2 mountains and a river! And it'll net you like an extra 9 gold from buildings.

I had a very nice flat land nook near iron I used for a full +6 IZ that later meant (w/ craftsmen) a +12 coal plant. Using mountains as proxies for mines means you can still be extremely productive while playing Sid Meier's Terrace Simulator 2019

I found this wonder to be great in my Korea game. Since I was placing my Seowons for max mines and farms, the adjacency provided by mountains was very useful for CHs and IZs. I don't think I would build it with any other civ, as Inca get more from terrace farms and others need mountains for campus or holy sites.

Top Bottom