[MOD] MagisterModmod

Thanks Magister! I tried deducing/changing it myself, because some of it is intuitive, but I was at a loss on this one.

In a recent Reddit post Kael revealed that the Council of Esus meets in secret meeting places called "Thrones." I am this considering adding "Council Throne" as an Council of Esus version of a temple, with similar but reversed benefits from over/undercouncil membership. Since players have requested giving them temples before I assume this may be taken well, but are there any objections?
What do you have in mind for requiring more mana for free promotions?

I'm still trying to work out an acceptable formula.

I'm thinking that basing it on the percent of the world controlled may prove too complex, so I'll probably just use map size as a proxy for how much total mana there is.

I'm about to playtest a version where Dual and Tiny maps require 1 mana less, standard 1 more, large 2 more, and huge 3 more, but units whose defines include channeling 3 (as opposed to units who got channeling 3 from the Tower of Mastery, who could still get free spell spheres of the top tier with enough mana) get a 1 mana discount for each of those promotions.

(Note that none of these numbers matter unless the unit meets the prereqs for the spell sphere promotion, which includes having at least one source of the appropriate mana.)

Did you consider an upgrade to lumber mills? Currently they just add one hammer on top of existing forests and enable river commerce.... and thats it. No bonuses from tech, no bonuses from civics. They are completely worthless, maybe with the exception with river adjacent ancient forests - maybe. This makes cutting your forests for hammers asap a no brainer as preserving them has no value.

You forgot the effective +0.5 points of health that Lumbermills "produce" indirectly, over the same spot with a chopped Forest and another "better" improvement.

In a recent Reddit post Kael revealed that the Council of Esus meets in secret meeting places called "Thrones." I am this considering adding "Council Throne" as an Council of Esus version of a temple, with similar but reversed benefits from over/undercouncil membership. Since players have requested giving them temples before I assume this may be taken well, but are there any objections?
To make things more interesting, maybe thrones should be temple buildings that are not built directly, but instead are spawned randomly in cities with CoE, depending on the crime rate, population, civics, gold income etc?

Since thrones are sort of secret buildings, and not monumental, they should not be built by hammers. Hammers are for building large temples, monuments, walls, aqueducts, civic infrastructure. Thrones should be built either randomly, or by spell, by paying gold.
That should spice things a bit and keep CoE unique.

A request: could there be a game option to remove wild mana? So that all mana in the nature is raw, like in base FfH?

I don't get what's going on here. Half my stack just defected to the dragon. And they weren't dragon fanatics a turn ago.

I don't get what's going on here. Half my stack just defected to the dragon. And they weren't dragon fanatics a turn ago.
It's probably a unit with the evangelize promotion. I don't think converted units get a saving throw.

I can't put a stop to it with the world builder. No matter what I change, I still lose half my stack to desertion.

How would I upload a modmod of this? Any special instructions that wouldn't apply to regular mods?

Accepting challenges as Doviello seems to be broken. Unfortunately this site won't let me upload any files again for whatever reason and my screenshot seems to be broken anyhow. I had Lucian and a Beastman on the same tile, issued a challenge as Lucian and whenever I moved the cursor over the Accept Challenge button of the Beastman I got some Python exception.

Hi MagisterCultuum, many thanks for the great work on your modmod

I noticed that I couldnt save a game as a scenario, old scenarios works fine but brand new ones cannot be launch
As I understood you tricked the scenario system, so I guess it's related, is there a trick to apply to add new scenario to the list?

and again TY !!!

Here's a suggestion: instead of duplicating the tower of mastery for the infernal palace, use Nox Noctis (sized at 1.5). It makes sense that the shrine of such a religion wouldn't be visible, and the building fits very well with the infernal city art.

Last edited:
So, assuming that there are still people around here, I'm trying to change the coast/ocean terrain in this mod. It's a bit dark for me right now, and the shoreline appears to be completely missing, which honestly irritates me more than the darkness. My issue is at the moment in finding out where on earth the coast graphics are actually kept. I've never really modded or altered mods for Civ4 before, and digging through the game files has proven almost entirely fruitless. The ArtDefines_Terrain file says that the coast graphics are in "Art/Terrain/Textures/coastblend.dds", but what "Art" folder it means is hard to determine. The mod itself doesn't contain a coastblend.dds, searches through my game directory only pull up a few scattered ones from completely different mods and one in the Warlords graphics, and I don't know where else it would be getting it from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Magister, I was wondering if there is guide somewhere that allows us to understand some the differences between Ffh2 and this mod. Like the colored circles and the extra number beside the score counter? Like the mod, good to see that the game still lives.

Hello i was wondering if there was any way to extract the maps from one of the scenarios (example: Return of Winter) and use it to play standard non-scenario games

Hello Magister, I was wondering if there is guide somewhere that allows us to understand some the differences between Ffh2 and this mod. Like the colored circles and the extra number beside the score counter? Like the mod, good to see that the game still lives.
The specific features you are talking about are part of the BUG mod, which is a general interface improvement mod that is included in many if not all modern mods for Civ4. This is already included in More Naval AI, which itself is included in Magistermod.

Apart from that there are several major changes from FFH2, pretty much all aimed at bringing gameplay more in line with the lore. Making a full list of these changes would be pretty exhaustive, but I can give you a number of notable examples off the top of my head:

In regular FFH2, the Calabim can pretty much churn out vampires on an assembly line, while in Magistermod you are more limited in the quantities of vampires you can get, however those few vampires are even stronger than their regular versions.

The Illians have been massively improved. The White Hand religion in Magistermod is implemented as an actual religion, while in FFH2 it's just represented by a single unique Building for the Illians, who are agnostic there. There have been several other changes to the way they work too. If you really want a good look at the changes between FFH2 and Magistermod, play a game as the Illians with each mod, and I can guarantee you it's a massively improved experience in Magistermod.

All 21 canonical types of mana are represented as a resource, whereas in FFH2 some are missing.

And much more. Honestly, the only times I'm even playing regular FFH2 (well, technically More Naval AI) anymore is for Multiplayer because I'm assuming it's more stable.

Implementing the Thrones sounds like a great idea. I'm eager to see any further implementations or additions to the modmod.

Also, has anyone ever encountered a bug where unit sizes are... off? All features (ai unique features, improvements etc) are about 50% larger than usual (verified without the mod) and units behave strangely. They all look much like Os-Gabella's model, in that they're essentially larger versions of themselves, and always solo (as the Hero promotion). A very strange bug, and one i have only experienced with this modmod - both on a linux installment and now recently.

Additionally, the bug appears to only affect custom games i make, not scenaris, even more puzzling. Adding an image of an example.

Attachments

• bugged.png
    bugged.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
So, assuming that there are still people around here, I'm trying to change the coast/ocean terrain in this mod. It's a bit dark for me right now, and the shoreline appears to be completely missing, which honestly irritates me more than the darkness. My issue is at the moment in finding out where on earth the coast graphics are actually kept. I've never really modded or altered mods for Civ4 before, and digging through the game files has proven almost entirely fruitless. The ArtDefines_Terrain file says that the coast graphics are in "Art/Terrain/Textures/coastblend.dds", but what "Art" folder it means is hard to determine. The mod itself doesn't contain a coastblend.dds, searches through my game directory only pull up a few scattered ones from completely different mods and one in the Warlords graphics, and I don't know where else it would be getting it from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had to get rid of the coastline a long time ago in order to prevent sandy beaches from appearing between the normal and the (darker) hellish version of water tiles. Most commentators in this thread said that the missing shoreline was far less jarring that the extra shorelines between water tiles.

It has been so long since I edited terrain graphics that I don't recall what files I had to change or how I did it.

Hello i was wondering if there was any way to extract the maps from one of the scenarios (example: Return of Winter) and use it to play standard non-scenario games

The scenario files are easily found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Magister Modmod for FfH2\PrivateMaps folder.
Spoiler :

Code:
BeginGame
    Era=ERA_CLASSICAL
    Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
    Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
    Option=GAMEOPTION_AGGRESSIVE_AI
    Option=GAMEOPTION_ALWAYS_WAR
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_TECH_BROKERING
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_ESPIONAGE
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_HYBOREM_OR_BASIUM
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_ACHERON
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_DUIN
    Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_ORTHUS
    Option=GAMEOPTION_WB_AGAINST_THE_GREY

ForceControl=FORCECONTROL_VICTORIES
    Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST
    Victory=VICTORY_DOMINATION
    GameTurn=0
    MaxTurns=690
    MaxCityElimination=0
    NumAdvancedStartPoints=540
    TargetScore=0
    StartYear=0
    Description=TXT_KEY_WB_AGAINST_THE_GREY_DESC
    ModPath=Mods\Magister Modmod for FfH2

The game options including the characters _WB_ are those which ScenarioFunctions.py uses to identify what special python code to run for a specific scenario.

(Note that I repurposed GAMEOPTION_WB_EXTRA for removing the Children of The One religion. It has no ScenarioFunctions.py effects. In base FfH2, it causes the scenario screen to pop up as soon as the game starts, but that was too buggy for me to want to keep.)

Deleting Option=GAMEOPTION_WB_AGAINST_THE_GREY (of the equivalent for other scenario files) should make it play in the mod like a normal game.

Deleting the TXT_KEY after Description= should remove the custom intro text.

Deleting the Mods\Magister Modmod for FfH2 after ModPath= should make the scenario able to be loaded with other mods, or vanilla BtS, assuming no units, buildings, promotions, bonuses, improvements, etc., are present in the scenario that do not exist in that other mod. If you are trying to use a map without MagisterModmod, you may need to search for anything causing errors and delete those lines.

Implementing the Thrones sounds like a great idea. I'm eager to see any further implementations or additions to the modmod.

Also, has anyone ever encountered a bug where unit sizes are... off? All features (ai unique features, improvements etc) are about 50% larger than usual (verified without the mod) and units behave strangely. They all look much like Os-Gabella's model, in that they're essentially larger versions of themselves, and always solo (as the Hero promotion). A very strange bug, and one i have only experienced with this modmod - both on a linux installment and now recently.

Additionally, the bug appears to only affect custom games i make, not scenaris, even more puzzling. Adding an image of an example.
That is a result of the Adventure Mode Game Option being activated. It is a hidden option used for a couple of Kael's scenarios. The option could get stuck in the On position from playing another mod. You might need to reload some other mod and turn all the options off. You could also edit the main game's ini file to delete the options it tried to remember from game to game.

If you were in a custom scenario, you would just delete the line Option=GAMEOPTION_ADVENTURE_MODE

I had to get rid of the coastline a long time ago in order to prevent sandy beaches from appearing between the normal and the (darker) hellish version of water tiles. Most commentators in this thread said that the missing shoreline was far less jarring that the extra shorelines between water tiles.

It has been so long since I edited terrain graphics that I don't recall what files I had to change or how I did it.

I actually managed to re-add the coastlines by copying the vanilla files into the terrain directory in the mod.

As a side-note, that Lanun city on a one-tile island was the only remaining obstacle in that game between me and a conquest victory. Notably, the priests cannot fly over water, and neither could any of their summons.

It makes the water more saturated and cyan near the coast, and the only real difference between the open ocean and the coast is texture and saturation now, but it's acceptable to me. I haven't seen the hell terrain issues yet, but I haven't played a game that's gotten that far into the apocalypse yet, so I guess I'll see how bad it is later.

Top Bottom